Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 31 Jan 2011 (Monday) 12:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Tripod + Head for Macro AND general (lightning etc)

dirkkristen
131 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Jan 31, 2011 12:22 |  #1

Hi guys!

Thanks to everyone who has responded to some of my other questions :)

I have one more! ;)

I am getting my camera & gear tomorrow morning [finallly!], (specs below), but currently have a pretty basic tripod that's really not up to par with what I'd like... (Sunpack 9001 UT)

I see the Manfrotto legs (055XPROB) are about the best value for what you get (yes, quite heavy-ish - but I can live with that for now before dropping an extra $300 for Carbon Fibre..). The head is really where I'm torn.

I'll be doing a lot of macro stuff, so from what I've read, the Manfrotto 3275 / 410 Compact Geared Head might be my best bet.. but I'm wondering if anyone has used or could compare the Manfrotto 322RC2 / 327RC2 for this kind of an application (i.e. Macro). I handheld tested one of the 322/324/327RC2's (I'm not sure which it was TBH) at a store on the weekend, unfortunately not with a camera or anything attached.. but loved the feel and work of the thing! But not sure if it will 'slip' or 'slide' after locking, and which would be a better all rounder, for everyday shooting, the odd landscape, some lightning photography, and of course, macro is very important. Any suggestions?

Many many thanks in advance!

Dirk

Canon 5D MK II - Gripped
EF 24-70mm F2.8 L / EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS / EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS / EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro / EF 50mm f/1.4 / Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 / Kenko Extensions Set / YongNuo YN-468 / 2x 32 GB Class 10 SD / Manfrotto 055XPROB & 410 Geared Head
-=[flickr]=-external link -= [Facebook] =-external link -= [ Crystal & Mineral / Personal Website] =-external link

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,066 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010
Nelson, New Zealand
Feb 01, 2011 16:15 |  #2

Hey Dirk...missed your other questions but maybe can shed some light on this one.

The tripod legs you mention are probably fine...anything rigid is okay as long as you don't have to carry it too far!
I have a Manfrotto 410 geared head, which I bought to use with my TS-E lens, and it is a lovely piece of equipment. BUT, it has two disadvantages...

One...it is very heavy at 1.22kg (2.68 lbs). And that is all very well unless you have to carry it far, which I do, in which case it's a bit of a pain.

Two...it only comes with Manfrotto's 410PL QR plate which is big and cumbersome.

Geared heads are great...infinite control etc., but they take a bit of practice getting used to.

Growing old disgracefully!

vermaak
138 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Eastbourne, UK
Feb 01, 2011 17:02 |  #3

Hi Dirk.

I have the 055XPROB tripod and it is heavy but it is very sturdy. When the legs are at full extension even without the centre column up the camera is about head hight. I'm 6'3" as well.

I have the 804RC2 3-way Head and have yet to find a position I can't get it into.

The centre column is great. It takes seconds to flip it horizontal and not much more to invert it so that you can get the camera very low to the ground.

For Macro work as Ricardo says a geared head will give you the most control but maybe not the quickest.

The tripod I can highly recommend. Despite the weight you won't be disappointed with the performance of it. I bought cheap to start with and regretted it straight away. As for the head this could be a little trickier. I'm still not sure if the 3-way is for me. I like the fact I can pan for video but I might have to try a ball head. That will be down to what feels right for you.

Good luck with your choice though.

Mike

Vegetarian - Old Indian word for bad hunter!
650D, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 17-50mm F2.8, 50mm f1.8II, 70-200 F4L, Manfrotto 055XPROB with 496RC2
My Flickrexternal link

dirkkristen
THREAD ­ STARTER
131 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Feb 02, 2011 09:44 as a reply to vermaak's post |  #4

Hi Guys,

Thank you!! This helps me make my mind up a little better, though not entirely !

I think I'm sold on the legs, though the head still gets me confused - I think the ONLY way I'm gonna decide on this is with a real life test! The weight of a 410 geared head doesnt concern me TOO much, as for the majority of the time I'm going to be using it in my apartment taking pics of my crystal collection.. but, if it can double up as a insect and general tripod on occasion as well, it won't bother me having an extra kg or so to lug around.. Though I am quite a small guy.. Based on your comments I somehow doubt I'll ever be extending the legs full fledged in that case!

Thanks again for the comments, much appreciated :)

Will let you know what I decide in the end and post up some pics of the results for your C&C!

Cheers,

Dirk

Canon 5D MK II - Gripped
EF 24-70mm F2.8 L / EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS / EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS / EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro / EF 50mm f/1.4 / Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 / Kenko Extensions Set / YongNuo YN-468 / 2x 32 GB Class 10 SD / Manfrotto 055XPROB & 410 Geared Head
-=[flickr]=-external link -= [Facebook] =-external link -= [ Crystal & Mineral / Personal Website] =-external link

1,491 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tripod + Head for Macro AND general (lightning etc)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.