Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk
Thread started 01 Feb 2011 (Tuesday) 17:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photographing Black dogs (and cats)

JediRach
85 posts
Joined Jul 2008
San Diego, CA
Feb 01, 2011 17:09 |  #1

I have two black dogs and I cannot seem to get a good picture of them. Does anyone have an tips to help me capture a good crisp image of my dogs?

Rachel
www.DeletingTheAdjecti​ves.comexternal link
{7D Gripped}{XTI 400D}[Canon 28-135mm IS USM][Canon 50mm 1.8 II][Canon 85 mm 2.0][Canon 35mm 2.0][Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III]

sponsored links
Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,066 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010
Nelson, New Zealand
Feb 01, 2011 17:15 |  #2

JediRach wrote in post #11758457external link
I have two black dogs and I cannot seem to get a good picture of them. Does anyone have an tips to help me capture a good crisp image of my dogs?

Tricky!

My first suggestion is to not photograph them with a very light (contrasting) background, as the dynamic range becomes too great for the sensor to easily handle. I know there are ways around that, but lets keep it as simple as possible.

I have a black dog and have found that I often have the same trouble you have, but the successes tend to be when the contrast range is not too high. Also, of course, when the light is falling on even a black dog in the right direction the coat takes on some texture.

I could post some pics if you don't mind me posting them on your thread.

Growing old disgracefully!

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,066 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Nelson, New Zealand
Feb 01, 2011 17:19 |  #3

Of course, I forgot to say, that you need to keep the exposure on the generous side. In normal light conditions the automatic or Av settings will under expose anything black. Then of course you have to be careful not to blow out the rest of the picture!

JediRach
THREAD ­ STARTER
85 posts
Joined Jul 2008
San Diego, CA
Feb 01, 2011 17:48 |  #4

Ricardo222 wrote in post #11758495external link
Tricky!

I could post some pics if you don't mind me posting them on your thread.

Feel free. I will try to find some I have taken of my dogs for CC//help.

Rachel
{7D Gripped}{XTI 400D}[Canon 28-135mm IS USM][Canon 50mm 1.8 II][Canon 85 mm 2.0][Canon 35mm 2.0][Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III]

JediRach
THREAD ­ STARTER
85 posts
Joined Jul 2008
San Diego, CA
Feb 01, 2011 17:49 |  #5

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4085/5023957031_690f852e07_z.jpg

This is pretty much the best one I have.

Rachel

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,066 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Nelson, New Zealand
Feb 01, 2011 17:55 |  #6

JediRach wrote in post #11758704 (external link)
Feel free. I will try to find some I have taken of my dogs for CC//help.

One shot is a high contrast situation with one dog mostly black with no detail...other dog has sufficient light reflecting off his coat to give some texture.

Other shot was made in shadow with much less contrast range and shows good detail. (Somewhat disgruntled dog, though, by her expression!)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,066 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Nelson, New Zealand
Feb 01, 2011 18:09 |  #7

JediRach wrote in post #11758709external link
This is pretty much the best one I have.

Cute dog! Have you tried "shadows and highlights" in the 'Image/adjustments' menus? If not over-done it can help.

Also, are you shooting in raw? You will have more to work with in correcting contrast if you do.

If you're grabbing quick shots then it can be tricky to deal with the contrast, but in that shot a reflecter would have made a big difference in throwing some detail into the shadow and the right eye...but it can be distracting for the dog!

bfleck51
400 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Chicago,southside
Feb 01, 2011 18:27 |  #8

as you can see here..even when you get the correct exposure for the face you loose your backround...whites are easy to shoot its black thats the tuff one!

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

http://www.rivervalley​poodles.com/external link
5D/7D/MKlll/D200

dnauer
Joined Nov 2009
Colorado
Feb 01, 2011 22:57 |  #9

Had a challenge photographing my agility instructor's Belgian Sheepdog, but used my 40D and a 200mm f2.8L on a bright day and came up with this:

IMAGE: http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/dnauer/RingJumping.jpg

Dave
70D; EF 24-105 f4L IS; EF 70-300 f4-5.6L IS; EF 200 f2.8L II; EF 85 f1.8; EF-S 24 f2.8 STM; Σ 30 f1.4; Σ 10-20 f4-f5.6; Kenko Pro300 DGX 1.4x

KatManDEW
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Feb 08, 2011 19:33 as a reply to dnauer's post |  #10

I'm familiar with your problem. I have two black cats, and one black and white cat. As bad is black is, black and white is even worse. If I get some detail in her black fur, her white fur is blown out. If I get detail in here white fur, her black fur is a black blob.

To make matters worse, my cats are indoor cats, so I can't get pics of them in full daylight, and it seems to me that good lighting is the key. I have to resort to flash.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

windpig
Chopped liver
14,533 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Feb 08, 2011 19:48 |  #11

With shooting black objects the detail is from direct reflection not diffused reflection. Increasing exposure will only turn the black (actually dark brown) fur gray. Look at the picture of the dog in post #4, if another light to camera left was set up the same as the light to camera right, the two combined would have given an even exposure if that is what was wanted. Great pic BTW.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Crystal ­ W ­ Photography
500 posts
Joined Jan 2011
PA
Feb 10, 2011 09:44 |  #12

Use a gray card.
The camera only sees 18% gray. Which is why, whites (snow) and blacks do not come out white and black, it's comes out grey.
Focus the camera on the gray card, remove card and shoot your subject.

Crystal
www.crystalwightman.co​mexternal link
Add me on Facebookexternal link

njcfm
59 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Feb 10, 2011 16:19 |  #13

IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_ouASqcnV78o/SxmhstCDL4I/AAAAAAAAAwU/7INUFEWhi88/s640/caddymonster2.jpg

it is even harder when your other dog is a light color..

IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_ouASqcnV78o/TQn9cp6bO2I/AAAAAAAACFs/ekLNMbT8Riw/s640/IMG_0157.jpg

windpig
Chopped liver
14,533 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Feb 10, 2011 17:12 |  #14

njcfm
Nice pics, cute dogs.
the second shot makes my point about reflection on the fir bringing out the detail.
the exposure in the second is good, it doesn't matter what the color of the other dog is, exposure is what it is.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

njcfm
59 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Feb 10, 2011 18:06 |  #15

windpig wrote in post #11817950external link
njcfm
Nice pics, cute dogs.
the second shot makes my point about reflection on the fir bringing out the detail.
the exposure in the second is good, it doesn't matter what the color of the other dog is, exposure is what it is.

yes, there was alot of light in the 2nd pic.. the first was mid-day sun..

however the differences in their colors and their sizes makes pictures of both of them difficult, higher f-stops, fast shutter speeds, and luck are required for pics of my pups.

depending on your dogs coat, light reflection can/will help

sponsored links

40,339 views & 29 likes for this thread
Photographing Black dogs (and cats)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.