Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports
Thread started 04 Feb 2011 (Friday) 23:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

HS Basketball w/ Canon 50mm f/1.4

superdiver
Cream of the Crop
9,859 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ketchikan Alaska
Feb 15, 2011 11:15 |  #16

To be honest I like the angle of the 85 better... On occasion I like the wide angle look of the 50, but I am a tight cropper by nature so I like the look of the shots with the 85 better...

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

sponsored links
SoundsGood
Goldmember
1,968 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Feb 15, 2011 12:46 |  #17

superdiver wrote in post #11847840external link
To be honest I like the angle of the 85 better...

I tend to agree. Plus, I'm shooting kids basketball, and I can say for certain that the parents prefer to see the kids faces up close.

40D and a whole bunch of lenses
Canon 430EX, Kenko 1.4x, Domke F-3X, F-5XB, Zeikos grip
Zenfolio Discount Code: YGK-8U7-1GGexternal link

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Wadsworth, Ohio
Feb 15, 2011 13:35 |  #18

superdiver wrote in post #11847840external link
To be honest I like the angle of the 85 better... On occasion I like the wide angle look of the 50, but I am a tight cropper by nature so I like the look of the shots with the 85 better...

I do as well. That's why the 50mm stays in the bag during basketball games and the 85mm gets the work! I prefer the tighter crops and closer faces any day. Plus, the better BG makes the 85 the complete no brainer.

OTOH, I don't get many shots of flying layups with knees bent and both shoes in the shot and two defenders off the ground going for the block, either!

Trade-offs, trade-offs.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

SoundsGood
Goldmember
1,968 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Feb 15, 2011 13:37 |  #19

snyderman wrote in post #11848573external link
Plus, the better BG makes the 85 the complete no brainer.

Good point. Forgot about that.

40D and a whole bunch of lenses
Canon 430EX, Kenko 1.4x, Domke F-3X, F-5XB, Zeikos grip
Zenfolio Discount Code: YGK-8U7-1GGexternal link

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,467 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles
Mar 05, 2011 15:53 as a reply to SoundsGood's post |  #20

I've just shot 3 games in a USSSA tourney this morning. The 85 was fine... except for when a winning team wanted a team shot. I backed up as far as the small gym would allow, but still had to take 3 panning shots to get everybody in.

So... I'll probably add a 28 or 30... when I can get the money saved-up.

I'm still extremely impressed with the 85's AF with spot focus; I can shoot almost like a P&S camera, and the pics are just great! In this small dark gym I used Tv, 1/800, ISO 1600-3200. Every shot was crystal clear - the only misses I had were due to the fast action; and the lighting only needed slight adjustment on ~ 20% of the shots.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Zivnuska
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
Wichita, Kansas
Mar 06, 2011 07:14 as a reply to post 11847721 |  #21

Light quality (even more than quantity) is becoming a limiting factor in these images.

The jaundiced skin tones are problematic.

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​comexternal link

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

8612images
731 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Texas
Mar 06, 2011 08:39 |  #22

I tried an expo disc in a middle shchool gym a few weeks back - my picks were yellowish on skin also. When I looked at the saved expodisc shot, it appeared a tan color. I went back to AWB and was much better off. Next game I used a coffee filter and that was even better.

Steve

superdiver
Cream of the Crop
9,859 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ketchikan Alaska
Dec 31, 2017 14:39 |  #23

As an update, in my last post I was using my old 40D, now I have a "new to me" 7D II and it works the 50 1.4 just fine, in fact at this last weekends tourney I switched over to it form the 85 and never went back! Nearly as many keepers focus wise, but many more keepers composition wise. I tend to like full body shots and it totally delivered in that respect. I do think the 85 1.8 is a little sharper maybe, but since I don't publish, or print for the most part over 8x10 and just regular people buy my photos, no one can tell the difference...

Now I am wondering if upgrading to a 50 1.4L would be a noticeable difference? see what i did right there... i justified a new lens... thats photoing at the next level right there.... LOL

wish i could figure out how to post pictures on here... just saying, cuz I like being embarrassed at my poor quality compared to everyone else here... purely amazing stuff on here!

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

jlstan
Joined Feb 2012
Jan 14, 2018 20:10 |  #24

I shoot with the 50mm f1.2 and love it for under the net. That along with the 70-200 do quite well for coverage for me.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,638 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Jan 14, 2018 20:58 |  #25

ChrisK10 wrote in post #11782590 (external link)
I shot w/ my 70-200 last year and felt like I got far more keepers than I did w/ the 50 1.4. I liked being able to be under the basket, but I still found myself sitting off to one side in order to get faces in the shot.

The 50 just won't focus fast enough for the fast action, for the peak of action perhaps. The 70-200 has a superior AF system over the 50.

Don't be afraid to raise your ISO to stop the action a bit more too. There are settings and ways to process the noise out.

ISO 6400 as an example...

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports/Mad-Ants-Feb-4-2013/i-FdcnNBk/0/9ed1af93/X2/7D1_9178-X2.jpg

ISO 12800

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports/Mad-Ants-Nov-23-2012/i-Z9pZMQm/0/cfe0bfa8/X3/IMG_8784-X3.jpg

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

6,644 views & 1 like for this thread
HS Basketball w/ Canon 50mm f/1.4
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.