Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th of February 2011 (Sat)   #1
Pitter

Default Consensus 7D vs 5Dii For Bird Photography?

Having gone through the lengthy "5D Mark II vs 7D" thread it seems to me that the overall consensus regarding which camera is better for bird photography (lets say with a 400 5.6) is that the 7D is the better choice because of itīs superior auto focus system and that the quality at high ISO advantage of the 5D ii is only one stop and doesnīt out weigh the 7D AF benifit. Is that about right? I also gather from that thread that a 5D iii may become available that will have the AF advantage of the current 7D. Hmmm...up grade to the 7D from my 50D now or wait for the 5D iii?

http://colombianature.smugmug.com/
Pitter is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of February 2011 (Sat)   #2
Olly_K1

Default Re: Consensus 7D vs 5Dii For Bird Photography?

dont forget the 8fps of the 7D too. Also the 7D will give you more reach with its 1.6x crop sensor.

All in all, the 7D is far better suited to birding. Having owned both they're suited to different things
Old 5th of February 2011 (Sat)   #3
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable

The one other advantage the 7D has over the 5DII is it's ability to put more pixels on the target. With it's higher pixel density, an image taken with both cameras, same lens, same setting, the 7D will put about 54,000 pixels on each square mm of target to the 5DIIs 24,000. Unless you're shooting at the fringes of the cameras capabilities, that will translate to more detail.

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
::Flickr::
::Gear::
gjl711 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of February 2011 (Sat)   #4
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop

7D of course. However, as I remembered, people, in theory, prefer the 5dmarkII because the larger megapixel count. Therefore, it can capture more details and would allow you to crop more of the shot. Assuming you can nail the focus with only the center point. Apparently, only the center point is sensitive enough for fast action shots. Wondering who is still using a 5dmarkII for bird photography
Old 5th of February 2011 (Sat)   #5
h14nha

7d and 400 5.6 is THE combo for bird photography. It has a huge value for money advantage over other set ups, you get an L lens and prob the best crop camera out there all for a pretty reasonable price. I'm not saying its cheap but a 400mm lens and 8 fps is the way to go to capture sharp feather detail.....
I upgraded from my 450d/XSi mainly for the faster frame rate and higher ISO. The 8fps buries the 5dii's and this is what seperates the two for birding. Twice as many shots gives you twice as many chances to getting a sharp pic when the bird is hopping branch to branch and wont stay still.....
My Gear - 7d, / 17-55mm / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / Fuji X Pro1 18/35
h14nha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of February 2011 (Sat)   #6
m.shalaby
Goldmember

7D will give you a better AF system to track moving subjects
5Dmkii will give you better detail/sharpness
m.shalaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of February 2011 (Sat)   #7
chrizramiscal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitter View Post
Having gone through the lengthy "5D Mark II vs 7D" thread it seems to me that the overall consensus regarding which camera is better for bird photography (lets say with a 400 5.6) is that the 7D is the better choice because of itīs superior auto focus system and that the quality at high ISO advantage of the 5D ii is only one stop and doesnīt out weigh the 7D AF benifit. Is that about right?
I understand that you read the thread maybe in its entirety, from your statement, i can say thats about right. with BIF photography there's a good chance that you'll crop your shots to get the right framing after the shoot, so having full frame doesn't matter. the ~3x fps burst of the 5D2 is also not that great to catch a moving bird's varying positions in flight, compared to the 8fps of a 7D. however, not to go against your case, but you could just put this post in that thread as well instead of making a new one but eh, the deed is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitter View Post
I also gather from that thread that a 5D iii may become available that will have the AF advantage of the current 7D. Hmmm...up grade to the 7D from my 50D now or wait for the 5D iii?
if you're still satisfied with the 50D, just stick with it until you feel like it's limiting you from getting the shots you need. otherwise, upgrade to a 7D or to the 1D series. there's no point waiting on a 5d3 in hopes of canon placing the new AF system and other nice goodies along with it that will limit the sales on other lines. maybe it will just get better video like high speed 120fps on 2160P format
Old 5th of February 2011 (Sat)   #8
newworld666
Goldmember

... 7D as a quite low IL range and noise level ... I am not sure you will get better picture with a 7D than a 5D (assuming length is not an issue)

The 7D can't get the best of a lens with the actual sensor .. When you see dxomark resolution profile there is a huge margin for 5DMKII with ultra sharp lenses like 85L
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/...non#div1anchor
So with a 300L2.8, 400L2.8 or 500L4 (assuming distance can be compensated by some steps), 5DMKII will surely get better results (It's what I get between my 50D and 5DMKII, margin of the 5DMKII is very important) with DXOmark we can see that difference between 50D and 7D sensors is not really significant ...
Central AF point is almost similar between my 50D and 5DMKII even in the night..

Let's hope Canon will make soon a competitor to the Nikon D7000 or Pentax K5 with 14IL range and a rather good signal/noise control and colors sensitivity....

http://front1.dxomark.com/index.php/...(brand3)/Nikon

I will move from my 50D as soon such body will exist. Canon won't be able to wait too long before creating such competitor..

Last edited by newworld666 : 5th of February 2011 (Sat) at 11:15.
newworld666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of February 2011 (Sat)   #9
DarthVader
Cream of the Crop

If you want a great OOF IQ shots...get a 5D II ...otherwise get a 7D.
DarthVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of February 2011 (Sat)   #10
omer

your 50D & EF 400 - is already very good for BIF
the 7D is a bit better especially in AF department - but the diff is not big
the 5DII is a great FF camera but not for Birds (unless they are out for a wedding)

( "7d and 400 5.6 is THE combo for bird photography" - Ian H14 XX - you got a great pic in your flicker)

7D |15-85 | 70-300 L | Sig 10-20 | 50 1.8 |100 2.8 macro|28 F2.8 | 270EX | 430EXII |

Last edited by omer : 5th of February 2011 (Sat) at 11:18.
omer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of February 2011 (Sat)   #11
Sp1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by newworld666 View Post

Let's hope Canon will make soon a competitor to the Nikon D7000 or Pentax K5 with 14IL range and a rather good signal/noise control and colors sensitivity....

http://front1.dxomark.com/index.php/...(brand3)/Nikon

I will move from my 50D as soon such body will exist. Canon won't be able to wait too long before creating such competitor..
I'm tempted to agree with you. For serious BIF folks Canon would probably be my 3rd or 4th pick as far as lens and body systems go.
Sp1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of February 2011 (Sat)   #12
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick678 View Post
If you want a great OOF IQ shots...get a 5D II ...otherwise get a 7D.

For $2500 to get a 5dmarkII, you can pickup an used 1dmarkIII. Now, you are in the bird photography heaven.

The 5D is good only for shooting backyard birds in the feeder area. No amount of timing is fast enough for birds!!! Except shooting an egret which stands still for hours. The barely 4 fps isn't cutting it.
Old 5th of February 2011 (Sat)   #13
CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyShots View Post
For $2500 to get a 5dmarkII, you can pickup an used 1dmarkIII. Now, you are in the bird photography heaven.

The 5D is good only for shooting backyard birds in the feeder area. No amount of timing is fast enough for birds!!! Except shooting an egret which stands still for hours. The barely 4 fps isn't cutting it.
That's not really true . Some of the best bird shots I've seen , came from a lady using a 5D + 400mm 5.6L + 2x converter .
Old 5th of February 2011 (Sat)   #14
fotobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBoy View Post
That's not really true . Some of the best bird shots I've seen , came from a lady using a 5D + 400mm 5.6L + 2x converter .
Are those birds in flight or stationary subjects?
fotobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of February 2011 (Sat)   #15
DarthVader
Cream of the Crop

Asleep .

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotobean View Post
Are those birds in flight or stationary subjects?

Gear is important but skills are very important .

DarthVader is offline   Reply With Quote