Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 27 Feb 2009 (Friday) 22:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post Your Favorite "Off Camera Hot Shoe Flash" Shots

Guts311
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 15, 2010 15:04 |  #4261

Just now dabbling in off-camera lighting. I have a 430EX II and just got my "Beginner Bee" kit from AlienBees with a B800, umbrella, stand, as well as a CSRB receiver and CST transmitter.

Can't wait to start using the AB stuff, but I lighted this gritty portrait with my 430EX II on the little included feet stand (bare, ceiling bounce) triggered with a ZebraFlash hot shoe adapter, as well as a generous amount of Lightroom/PS post:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

sponsored links
Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,396 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined May 2005

Apr 15, 2010 18:47 |  #4262

I am very new at this; I thought from what I have read that the ST-E2, Pocket wizard flex system or radio poppers can do manual. Now I have a better idea...Glad I asked!

Thanks Gonzo and Phamster for pointing that out.

Respectfully,
Ben

gonzogolf wrote in post #9990375 (external link)
I'm confused, you say you want manual, which I agree consistency of output in manual is better than ettl. But your last question is which ettl trigger is best? Each of the ettl solutions has problems. The st-e2 uses near infrared wireless instead of radio so it can be iffy outdoors and in any flash thats enclosed in a modifier. The radio poppers just convert the canon wireless signal to radio signals and converts them back at the flash. With the poppers you still need a master (or st-e2) and slave flash so you lose the use of an extra flash. I dont really know the PW flex system, but there are still rf interference bugs that shorten the working range.

phamster
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 15, 2010 20:21 |  #4263

I am sure the ST E2 can do manual settings..

"Lighting will make or break your photo"
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Interview with Mike Panic (external link)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Apr 15, 2010 20:37 |  #4264

Buckeye1 wrote in post #10002955 (external link)
I am vey new at this; I thought from what I have read that the ST-E2, Pocket wizard flex system or radio poppers can do manual. Now I have a better idea...Glad I asked!

Thanks Gonzo and Phamster for pointing that out.

Respectfully,
Ben

The ST-E2 will be able to optically trigger EX slaves that have been set to manual mode and their outputs set at the slaves but you won't be able to manual set the slave outputs from the ST-E2 because the ST-E2 can only control EX flashes in E-TTL mode.

...Leo

Octowl
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 15, 2010 20:37 |  #4265

gonzogolf wrote in post #10001508 (external link)
You are right about gels, see this link.
http://www.rosco.com/u​s/video/strobist.asp (external link)

If you gel the background/hairlight and not the key light in front you only change the light falling behind the subject. Gels can also be used to match color from different colored light sources such as flash/sunset or flash/tungsten light bulbs.

i see now i have to learn about strobes and its gadgets. there are never ending things you can learn about photography..haven't decided if that's a good thing or a bad thing yet haha.

My name is Daniel and I'm a Graphic Designer, but my passion is Photography
Canon EOS 60D | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 580EX II | D-Lite-4 IT | Glidecam HD2000
Full Gear List | flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

phamster
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 15, 2010 20:42 |  #4266

ATXsouljah wrote in post #10003521 (external link)
i see now i have to learn about strobes and its gadgets. there are never ending things you can learn about photography..haven't decided if that's a good thing or a bad thing yet haha.

it is a good thing.. because if you don't learn about gadgets that will help you control your lights.. then you will always be shooting ambient lighting, flat lighting, or reflectors..

and good ambient lighting is hard to find..

lesson here is to learn manual triggers like the cactus v4's first.. simple cheap..
might not be the best performance, but it does the job for you as you are learning.

then once you feel warm and fuzzy with manual triggers and manual flash.. nobody will ever be able to take that knowledge away from you and the sky is the limit from that point in photography..

trust me if you want to become a better photographer you must know off camera flash in manual.. (not saying you have to use flash for everything.. )

phamster

Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Octowl
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 15, 2010 20:45 as a reply to  @ phamster's post |  #4267

i already have a 580exii, what else would i need? i was looking at the cyber syncs for off camera flash, also is it safe to suggest alien bees for someone new to off camera lighting? OR maybe even just a point into the right direction for me to read.

Canon EOS 60D | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 580EX II | D-Lite-4 IT | Glidecam HD2000

phamster
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 15, 2010 21:23 |  #4268

ATXsouljah wrote in post #10003585 (external link)
i already have a 580exii, what else would i need? i was looking at the cyber syncs for off camera flash, also is it safe to suggest alien bees for someone new to off camera lighting? OR maybe even just a point into the right direction for me to read.

Well. That is a tricky question,

If u already have a speed light and that is how i started off with single speed light, then you just need a trigger and receiver set.

If u want to jump to bigger more powerful lighting then u can pick alien bees or what ever else u might need.

Basic components u will need are

Triggers and receivers
Modifers
Speed light
Stand

I learned from strobist.com. 101 lessons and on my own, probably fired 200 shots per night when I was first learning OCF.

Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Octowl
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 15, 2010 23:34 as a reply to  @ phamster's post |  #4269

i appreciate the info and will definitely give it a shot.

izthistaken
Cream of the Crop
6,857 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 16, 2010 06:14 |  #4270

Recent 365. It's a bit different then anything else posted in here. :)

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4035/4524221035_b0fd825995_b.jpg

Matt
flickr  (external link)
5DMKII | 16-35L |24-70L| 70-200L 2.8 II | Canon 50mm 1.8|35mm F2|580ex x2|Lumopro LP160|Nikon SB24|Cybersyncs x3

QueenChatty
Goldmember
2,178 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 16, 2010 06:17 |  #4271

izthistaken wrote in post #10005488 (external link)
Recent 365. It's a bit different then anything else posted in here. :)

QUOTED IMAGE

I really dig that shot. Pretty cool and really different!

5D MarkII | 50D Canon 17-40mm|55-250 | 60mm Macro | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105L IS | 580EXII | 70-200L F2.8 IS II | Ultra Zap 800 |StarFlash 300 X2 | AB 400X 2 Flickr  (external link)

puzzle
347 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 16, 2010 06:24 as a reply to  @ QueenChatty's post |  #4272

Some shots taken a couple of weeks ago in my bedroom:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

criticism very welcome ;)

Canon5D mkII | 50D | Canon 24-70 f2.8L | Canon EF 85 f1.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex ii *2 | Elinchrom Skyports | Macbook Pro
http://www.paulwills.c​om (external link)

izthistaken
Cream of the Crop
6,857 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 16, 2010 06:27 |  #4273

QueenChatty wrote in post #10005495 (external link)
I really dig that shot. Pretty cool and really different!

Thank you. :)

puzzle wrote in post #10005511 (external link)
Some shots taken a couple of weeks ago in my bedroom:

criticism very welcome ;)

Um, I'll trade you bedrooms. It comes with two boxers (dogs).

Matt
flickr  (external link)
5DMKII | 16-35L |24-70L| 70-200L 2.8 II | Canon 50mm 1.8|35mm F2|580ex x2|Lumopro LP160|Nikon SB24|Cybersyncs x3

pantherphotos
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 16, 2010 08:27 |  #4274

phamster wrote in post #10003776 (external link)
I learned from strobist.com. 101 lessons and on my own, probably fired 200 shots per night when I was first learning OCF.

Just curious, what did you shoot for ~200 shots per night?

Eric
Canon EOS 1D MkIIn | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | 70 - 200 f/2.8L | 50 f/1.8 II | 2x YN560 flash
My Blog: http://pantherphotogra​phy.wordpress.com/ (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,396 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined May 2005

Apr 16, 2010 08:48 |  #4275

Thanks PacAce and Phamster, this just means I have to walk to my OCF and make output adjustment, correct? Sounds like PW and RP only do ETTL and allow you to adjust the flash output from the camera. Is that right?

On a side note to Phamster - I have a friend who went to Purdue, and he is a Boilermaker fanantic! He even painted one of his rooms in his new house black and gold with furnitures to boot :D You guys would have had a great chance if Hummel was healthy.

PacAce wrote in post #10003516 (external link)
The ST-E2 will be able to optically trigger EX slaves that have been set to manual mode and their outputs set at the slaves but you won't be able to manual set the slave outputs from the ST-E2 because the ST-E2 can only control EX flashes in E-TTL mode.

sponsored links

2,020,213 views & 2 likes for this thread
Post Your Favorite "Off Camera Hot Shoe Flash" Shots
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.