Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Apr 2010 (Thursday) 13:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rechargeable AA vs NB-2L/NB-2LH

TIGR
105 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 08, 2010 13:28 |  #1

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I could not find an answer when I searched: how does using rechargeable AA batteries stack up against NB-2L/NB-2LH batteries? My situation is this: I have a Targus TG-BGXTI battery grip (external link). I have no NB-2L batteries because Canon lost the one I sent when my XTi went in for repairs. Should I just use AA batteries or is it worth it to buy the battery packs? Any recommendations on rechargeable AAs (I have a bunch of Energizer rechargeable 2500mah AAs here)?

I'm new to this camera so I don't know how long it will last with 6 AAs vs the battery packs.

Also—what's the difference between NB and BP batteries? They seem electrically compatible and indeed my NB-2LH battery worked in my old Canon ZR camcorder. I ask because I have two oversized extended life batteries for the camcorder that don't fit in the XTi body or battery grip but am wondering if there is any way to use them, since I already have them and they have great battery life.

Please forgive me for any stupid questions and set me straight as I'm new [to posting] here. :)

sponsored links
canondslr
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 08, 2010 13:59 |  #2

I have never use AA on my grip, but I think if the capacity is the same, I assume it will last the same time ?
Also never ONLY use the AA only on my grip, so I dont know if using NB pack is better than using AAs.
Since you have bunch of AAs, why dont you just used it for now and see how long it will last, and hopefully you can pass the information to us too.

NB & BP batteries may be the same juice-wise (I cant confirm that since I have never pay attention to their differences, but outer dimension is diffferent, BP is bigger, used in xxD series camera, NB used in Rebel camera.

TIGR
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 08, 2010 15:52 |  #3

canondslr wrote in post #9957795 (external link)
I have never use AA on my grip, but I think if the capacity is the same, I assume it will last the same time ?
Also never ONLY use the AA only on my grip, so I dont know if using NB pack is better than using AAs.
Since you have bunch of AAs, why dont you just used it for now and see how long it will last, and hopefully you can pass the information to us too.

NB & BP batteries may be the same juice-wise (I cant confirm that since I have never pay attention to their differences, but outer dimension is diffferent, BP is bigger, used in xxD series camera, NB used in Rebel camera.

Thank you sir, and will do. As for the BP size, that's what I was getting at—wondering if there's any kind of system that will let me use them with my XTi. On the camcorder, the battery mounts to the outside (back) of the camcorder so it doesn't matter how tall they are. Is there any such system for the Rebel series, or any recommended way it could be rigged? I would cut up a Targus grip but would sacrifice structural integrity for mounting on a pod.

canondslr
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 08, 2010 16:12 |  #4

I dont think its worth it to do all that hassle since you can get Nb pack for around $10 ish from sterlingtek.com.

TIGR
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 08, 2010 22:31 |  #5

canondslr wrote in post #9958599 (external link)
I dont think its worth it to do all that hassle since you can get Nb pack for around $10 ish from sterlingtek.com.

On a simple cost basis I agree—I just try to combine things whenever possible (using the same battery or memory card, etc. for multiple devices). Perhaps too obsessive. :lol: But I figure hey, if there's a way to use them, I'll go for it. Doesn't seem like there's any product out there that makes it possible. I'll hopefully be switching to a Vixia camcorder soon anyway, which I suppose means completely different batteries.

canondslr
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 15, 2010 21:42 |  #6

I mean if you "cut up" the Targus grip, it will be worthless more than the saving you got by not buying another battery ($10/$20). It's like you are not actually saving.
But if you can just attached the battery to the grip, then its different story, even though it might look ugly, than that maybe worth it.
Id say try it if you can, if you are succesful, let us know, so other people in the same situation can do it too...
Good luck :)

sponsored links

1,841 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rechargeable AA vs NB-2L/NB-2LH
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.