Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 14 Apr 2010 (Wednesday) 13:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another Adorama rant

ofafeather
645 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 15, 2010 06:43 |  #16

Look, this rant is about someone being frustrated. If you disagree with the way he sees things, then, by all means tell him. That's helpful. But it seems counterproductive to say belittling things that don't respond to the OPs concerns. I don't expect that Helen would have used the words "ridiculous" or "silly", or have said how tired she was about hearing these kinds of rants when addressing the OP. Not that I'm saying that everyone should rant but the way we handle them as a community has a big impact. For someone who's frustrated to be dismissed and told "we don't want to hear it", that's really harsh. Explanation and redirection (as in talk to Helen) works just fine as most of the replies here, and with other rants, show.

All I'm asking is that we be a little more thoughtful when addressing each other.

Canon 7D, 5D Mark II and some Stuff

sponsored links
ofafeather
645 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 15, 2010 06:44 |  #17

Lysendriel wrote in post #9998958 (external link)
Wow, I don't know what's more frustrating, paying for an item, only to have it come with pieces missing and having to wait weeks for it to be replaced, or coming here and watching all of the teeth and claws of POTN come out as you rip and OP to shred for daring to have a problem with Adorama.

+1 Guess we were writing our posts at the same time! bw!

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 15, 2010 07:07 |  #18

Wow, I don't know what's more frustrating, paying for an item, only to have it come with pieces missing and having to wait weeks for it to be replaced, or coming here and watching all of the teeth and claws of POTN come out as you rip and OP to shred for daring to have a problem with Adorama. Every single time anyone has a problem with Adorama, you guys get vicious. Guess what, Adorama isn't infallible. They make mistakes. Ok, we get it, every company makes mistakes. Well, the problems you see here usually complaining of how Adorama "fixes" those mistakes. Trust me, Adorama is great until you have a problem, then it often becomes a struggle to have it fixed. Yes, Helen Oster is great, but the mere fact that Adorama has to have a representative online watching the internet to fix all of their CSR problems should really clue you in to the fact that they can have problems.

If you read the thread, the OP isn't mad that Adorama sent something with a missing piece, it's the fact that Adorama did a poor job rectifying the situation. That's just the facts. I know it's painful for all of you fanboys to face the fact that Adorama isn't perfect, but seriously, get over yourselves. The OP paid for something, and in the end may have to wait weeks for it arrive. I know that you, not facing the problem, make it seem like waiting is no big deal, but I guarantee that if you were waiting for equipment to arrive, you would be just as frustrated by the wait. So, please, give the OP a break.

Ditto!

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

A.Christopher
392 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 15, 2010 07:51 |  #19

Wow, I don't know what's more frustrating, paying for an item, only to have it come with pieces missing and having to wait weeks for it to be replaced, or coming here and watching all of the teeth and claws of POTN come out as you rip and OP to shred for daring to have a problem with Adorama. Every single time anyone has a problem with Adorama, you guys get vicious. Guess what, Adorama isn't infallible. They make mistakes. Ok, we get it, every company makes mistakes. Well, the problems you see here usually complaining of how Adorama "fixes" those mistakes. Trust me, Adorama is great until you have a problem, then it often becomes a struggle to have it fixed. Yes, Helen Oster is great, but the mere fact that Adorama has to have a representative online watching the internet to fix all of their CSR problems should really clue you in to the fact that they can have problems.

If you read the thread, the OP isn't mad that Adorama sent something with a missing piece, it's the fact that Adorama did a poor job rectifying the situation. That's just the facts. I know it's painful for all of you fanboys to face the fact that Adorama isn't perfect, but seriously, get over yourselves. The OP paid for something, and in the end may have to wait weeks for it arrive. I know that you, not facing the problem, make it seem like waiting is no big deal, but I guarantee that if you were waiting for equipment to arrive, you would be just as frustrated by the wait. So, please, give the OP a break.

+1 Very well said. They do not care how much money you've spent with them whether it's $30 or $30,000, how many years you've ordered from them, or what you feel is the right thing for them to do to make the situation right. After having a recent issue with Adorama and dealing with their Customer Service for the first time, I truly understand why this forum [and many others] are getting flooded with posts about their customer service. They've made it quite clear to me that they do not care about customer loyalty or customer satisfaction. At least they now have one less customer to worry about. I will gladly spend my money elsewhere.

Adam Christopher
www.adamchristopher.ne​t (external link)
Gear List

volfan1978
720 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 16, 2010 06:58 |  #20

jeromego wrote in post #9997684 (external link)
I'm just tired of hearing all these rants about adorama and b&h. All I know i s that i never had problems with both vendors and if there was it was very minor (like the OP's problem). No need to rant about it.

Adorama and B&H are one of the best out there. And just like any other human being running the company, they make mistakes. so, pleeeeaaase!

I'm kind of getting tired of these threads too. Yes, in most cases, the OP has a valid point, but it's funny how these threads are allowed to be opened to slam a retailer yet we can't post negative feedback about an individual buyer or seller on this forum. Some people have really been screwed by fraudulent members, but the only thing that can happen is that user gets banned.

ofafeather
645 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 16, 2010 07:36 |  #21

volfan1978 wrote in post #10005575 (external link)
... but it's funny how these threads are allowed to be opened to slam a retailer yet we can't post negative feedback about an individual buyer or seller on this forum. Some people have really been screwed by fraudulent members, but the only thing that can happen is that user gets banned.

That's an interesting point and probably comes down to legal matters. Since I'm not a lawyer I really don't know what the true issues are, but just like with the media, public figures, such as businesses seem to be fair game for public discussion. Also accusing a business of poor customer service is a lot different than accusing someone of fraud.

CW ­ Jones
737 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 16, 2010 08:03 |  #22

Doesn't seem that far off to me... I work in retail/wholesale and if it comes as a set and something is missing, you bring it back or send it back and get sent a new one. When something like this happens the manufacturer of the product wants it back so they can see why its missing and give credit to the store. Ya it sucks that its going to take more time, however from my experience with Adorama they usually send replacements out pretty quick. The whole "2 weeks since my order" thing is not right, while yes you have waited 2 weeks it has only taken them 1 week as you knew when you ordered it that they were not there for a week. That one is your fault and not theirs. Overall ya it sucks but its not "bad business" as to what they have done.

The only other thing you could have tried was to call the manufacturer and tell them what happened and how the plate wasn't in the box when you got it. Hey maybe they will tell you to call where you bought it... OR maybe they will send you one out and you will have it in a few days...

Just remember you catch more bees with honey....

Good luck, hope it works out for you!

-Collin
Canon 30D Gripped + The "Budget Trinity" of lenses.
Full Gear List Here
Flickr (external link)
Razzi (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,556 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 16, 2010 08:18 |  #23

Sorry folks, I also agree with Lysendriel and Sharrowm on this topic. What was expected is nothing short of what you would get at a brick-and-mortar store. In fact we have extensive retail management experience in our household too, and from that perspective, there is nothing wrong with the expectations here. I have been able to do this very exact thing at a Walmart, Best Buy and a Frys store in past when something was missing or one part out of many was broken.

Very simply, Adorama could simply tell the warehouse to pull a plate, ship that to the customer, and mark that box against the same transaction, and send it back. It is less costly for all parties, quicker to remedy, and the proper thing to do in the interests of customer service.

I am tired of the Adorama threads too, but this is perhaps one of the first fully legitimate issues. However, I am not sure posting it for all to see is really the correct thing, I would have first PM'd Helen Oster here on POTN.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

CW ­ Jones
737 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 16, 2010 08:21 |  #24

TeamSpeed wrote in post #10005824 (external link)
Sorry folks, I also agree with Lysendriel and Sharrowm on this topic. What was expected is nothing short of what you would get at a brick-and-mortar store. In fact we have extensive retail management experience in our household too, and from that perspective, there is nothing wrong with the expectations here. I have been able to do this very exact thing at a Walmart, Best Buy and a Frys store in past when something was missing or one part out of many was broken.

Very simply, Adorama could simply tell the warehouse to pull a plate, ship that to the customer, and mark that box against the same transaction, and send it back. It is less costly for all parties, quicker to remedy, and the proper thing to do in the interests of customer service.

I am tired of the Adorama threads too, but this is perhaps one of the first fully legitimate issues. However, I am not sure posting it for all to see is really the correct thing, I would have first PM'd Helen Oster here on POTN.

Normally I would agree that they could pull a plate and send their product back less the plate... however serial number will not match up and they most likely wouldn't get credit. I have done this a few times and not gotten credit for the product I sent back. First time was no big deal, next time I get reamed a new one for a $450 loss... haha

-Collin
Full Gear List Here
Flickr (external link)
Razzi (external link)

nyktrade
Goldmember
1,484 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 16, 2010 08:23 |  #25

This section is Market Watch, isn't it? If so, I would think it is for sharing our experiences, both good and bad. Some people may have different standards, but thats not the point.

5D III | 1Ds II | 5D2 x2 | T3i
[COLOR=#800080]T17-35 |T28-75|16-35L II|80-200L|70-200L [COLOR=purple]IS II|24L II|Sigma 28 1.8|35 2.0|50 1.8 II|Sigma 50 1.4|85 1.8|Sigma 85 1.4|135L|200L-IS|
600EX- RT x3|Metz 58 AF-1|550Ex x2|

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,556 posts
Joined May 2002

Apr 16, 2010 08:41 |  #26

CW Jones wrote in post #10005846 (external link)
Normally I would agree that they could pull a plate and send their product back less the plate... however serial number will not match up and they most likely wouldn't get credit. I have done this a few times and not gotten credit for the product I sent back. First time was no big deal, next time I get reamed a new one for a $450 loss... haha

If Bogen needs an order with a matching serial number to that on the mount, then okay, they can ring up a temporary sale with a new boxed unit, pull the plate, send the box with the order info, then void the order.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

CW ­ Jones
737 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 16, 2010 20:49 |  #27

eh true they could do it that way I suppose... but then it brings in to question whether they (Adorama in this case) is willing to go that far for a sub $200 item... Of course we would like to know the answer is yes, but who knows. I wish Helen would show up and clear some of this up...

I could see them going to great lengths for a 1DS or something but a head like this... eh who knows haha

-Collin
Full Gear List Here
Flickr (external link)
Razzi (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,556 posts
Joined May 2002

Apr 16, 2010 20:54 |  #28

CW Jones wrote in post #10009849 (external link)
eh true they could do it that way I suppose... but then it brings in to question whether they (Adorama in this case) is willing to go that far for a sub $200 item... Of course we would like to know the answer is yes, but who knows. I wish Helen would show up and clear some of this up...

I could see them going to great lengths for a 1DS or something but a head like this... eh who knows haha

Here is a different way to look at it, are they going to lose a customer over a $10 part? Plus it would cost less to ship that one part to the customer, than an entire package again, so again, it makes economical sense to do this. Yes, I am sure Helen will make this right.

I sell $15 power cords for radar detectors, I have done what others would consider silly to make the customer happy. Some of it actually seems more silly from the customer part of the equation (like traveling 5 hours one way to have me look at their mirror and wiring, all for a $15 cord).

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 16, 2010 22:48 as a reply to  @ post 9998958 |  #29

CW Jones wrote in post #10005777 (external link)
<snip>The whole "2 weeks since my order" thing is not right, while yes you have waited 2 weeks it has only taken them 1 week as you knew when you ordered it that they were not there for a week. That one is your fault and not theirs. Overall ya it sucks but its not "bad business" as to what they have done.

^^+1

the other thing is you're complaining about how it would have taken 2 weeks to send it back and get the replacement. if it really meant something to you, it's light enough to ship it back via USPS 2-3 day priority for a couple of bucks. why complain about the length of time if they're giving you free shipping? you are allowed to upgrade shipping, you know :rolleyes:

gordon
Gear and Feedback

ofafeather
645 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 17, 2010 07:25 |  #30

klr.b wrote in post #10010380 (external link)
^^+1

the other thing is you're complaining about how it would have taken 2 weeks to send it back and get the replacement. if it really meant something to you, it's light enough to ship it back via USPS 2-3 day priority for a couple of bucks. why complain about the length of time if they're giving you free shipping? you are allowed to upgrade shipping, you know :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I don't think that a buyer should have to pay anything to return a faulty item. However, most places will require you to either return the item or pay for the replacement then charge back the second item less any return shipping fees once the original is received. Also, there is no "couple of bucks" priority mail these days so it would mean eating at least $5 and from the left coast to the right coast it will be closer to $10 if it doesn't fit into a small flat rate box.

The OP had no problem waiting the expected 2 weeks to receive the item but was frustrated at being expected to wait another 2 weeks which is understandable. Yes, mistakes happen, as the OP said, but it doesn't make them any less frustrating.

sponsored links

4,228 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another Adorama rant
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.