Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 10 Oct 2006 (Tuesday) 04:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF 600mm f4L IS USM

silvex
Cream of the Crop
7,309 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 17, 2010 22:46 |  #151

I have only flown like boeing 727 and larger. I think that I long as it fits in the check-in desk. It will go in the plane. I usually put it in the overhead bin side ways. Make sure it weights under 30lbs JUST to be safe.

-Ed
CPS Platinum Member.
Canon Gear
SilvexPhoto.comexternal link

sponsored links
advaitin
Goldmember
4,624 posts
Gallery: 434 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 31, 2010 18:19 as a reply to  @ silvex's post |  #152

I had to manually focus this as the 7D does not support AF at f8. ISO 800, 1/1000s @ f13. Monopod and gimbal. 600mm L IS, 2x TC II at 1200mm and FOV = 1920mm.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,913 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 31, 2010 18:29 |  #153

advaitin wrote in post #9909436 (external link)
I had to manually focus this as the 7D does not support AF at f8. ISO 800, 1/1000s @ f13. Monopod and gimbal. 600mm L IS, 2x TC II at 1200mm and FOV = 1920mm.

I am lucky i will use 1.3x series, i don't think i need to crop a lot as i have to learn how to get the subjects almost full on the frame, slightly crop may not affect that much even if 7D will give better result uncropped, but with a combo that i trust then i should be fine.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,835 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 05, 2010 15:29 |  #154

Here's what you do. Put the lens in the Canon case and take it thru security but since it won't fit you will have to check it at the gate, now when you reach your destination, guess what, you get the lens as you depart the plane. That way the lens is with you prior to departure and when you land. I see people check their luggage at the gate and get it at the gate when on travel. You can call the airline to see what their policy is for luggage that don't fit once you reach the gate to confirm what I state.

Just a thought

Go4EVA! wrote in post #9629564 (external link)
Awesome -- thanks much! :D

Now, what do you do when you're flying domestic, on one of those smaller Regional Jets, with very small overhead storage compartments? Will this ThinkTank bag fit under the seat, or are you forced to trust the plane-side check-in?

Gear
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Tareq
17,913 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 05, 2010 15:48 |  #155

Methodical wrote in post #9938157 (external link)
Here's what you do. Put the lens in the Canon case and take it thru security but since it won't fit you will have to check it at the gate, now when you reach your destination, guess what, you get the lens as you depart the plane. That way the lens is with you prior to departure and when you land. I see people check their luggage at the gate and get it at the gate when on travel. You can call the airline to see what their policy is for luggage that don't fit once you reach the gate to confirm what I state.

Just a thought

I really would like to know more about this process as i may travel in the future with heavy gear whether camera or lens, so i always worry about how to travel with those gear, i was scared enough when i traveled to USA with my H3DII-39, and now this year i am planning to travel to Africa and i hope to buy one lens before [either 500 or 600] then i will be worry how to travel with one of these long lenses, even with my 300 i am worry how to travel with it, i put some of my gear in carry-[on or in] and some in check-in luggage, but i really want to know how you people travel with many gear [2 bodies, 4-5 lenses including heavy one,..etc.]

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,835 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 06, 2010 00:32 |  #156

The 500 lens and case you can carry on the plane; it will fit in the overhead and I think under the seat. It sounds like you will be carrying quite a bit of gear. Is anyone going with you?...if so maybe they can carry some of your stuff. If it were me, I'd call the airline to see how things work though. This is how I'd do it...carry the 500 in its case onto the plane along with my Lowepro 400AW backpack with 1 body with the 400 5.6 and maybe the 300 f4 or other smaller lens, or you can use one of those small luggage bag that will fit overhead and pack some gear in it and I'd check all my clothes and stuff. I'd also consider putting small stuff in my checked baggage such as flash, flash bracket that sort of stuff. Just have to plan and pack efficiently.

Tareq wrote in post #9938288 (external link)
I really would like to know more about this process as i may travel in the future with heavy gear whether camera or lens, so i always worry about how to travel with those gear, i was scared enough when i traveled to USA with my H3DII-39, and now this year i am planning to travel to Africa and i hope to buy one lens before [either 500 or 600] then i will be worry how to travel with one of these long lenses, even with my 300 i am worry how to travel with it, i put some of my gear in carry-[on or in] and some in check-in luggage, but i really want to know how you people travel with many gear [2 bodies, 4-5 lenses including heavy one,..etc.]

Gear
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Go4EVA!
425 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 06, 2010 21:19 |  #157

Methodical wrote in post #9938157 (external link)

I've done the "gate check" thing a few times with normal luggage, but never with sensitive camera gear. But I certainly agree with you that gate checking is preferable to trusting the 500lb gorillas in the main terminal.

FYI, I recently discovered that the Think Tank website has an amazing FAQ section (http://www.thinktankph​oto.com/knowledge-base.aspx (external link)) which describes each bag in detail, shows how to pack them, and includes actual images of how each one fits into the airplane overhead stowage compartments -- even the "small" compartments on the regional jets. Excellent reference information!

Gear List

Deep ­ Pocket
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 07, 2010 01:07 |  #158
bannedPermanent ban

Cole_Schmitt wrote in post #7707010 (external link)
I would have to agree. Sigh, wish I had the money to spend on this lens :( Being 16 sucks :p

I feel your pain bro I'm 16 too :(

17 and learning..
Canon Rebel XSI/450D:
Sigma 30 f/1.4, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, 18-55 Kit Lens

Deviantart (external link)

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,835 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 07, 2010 08:52 |  #159

Thanks for the link. Here's a link about how the "Pros" do it
http://www.thinktankph​oto.com/airport.aspx (external link)

Go4EVA! wrote in post #9946831 (external link)
I've done the "gate check" thing a few times with normal luggage, but never with sensitive camera gear. But I certainly agree with you that gate checking is preferable to trusting the 500lb gorillas in the main terminal.

FYI, I recently discovered that the Think Tank website has an amazing FAQ section (http://www.thinktankph​oto.com/knowledge-base.aspx (external link)) which describes each bag in detail, shows how to pack them, and includes actual images of how each one fits into the airplane overhead stowage compartments -- even the "small" compartments on the regional jets. Excellent reference information!

Gear
Flickr (external link)

Tareq
17,913 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 07, 2010 18:47 |  #160

In fact you people are all lucky, in all my travel before i was lucky only twice i think to have a bag to carry in, as always they said it is above 10kg and i remember in NY airport in my way back home, the first officer said it is fine and he will not charge me or something for my carry in bag, but later another place in checking stage they took all the bags and told me nothing i can carry to the plane with me, i didn't fight or try to explain or even ask why as i know they are looking for any excuse as they saw my an arabic guy, so if i was non arabic maybe they will simplify few process with me, and i always travel alone so i have to depend on myself and i feel that because i am alone they check me more than if i am with someone or group.
Anyway, it seems that i must keep my carry in bag within 10kgs so then i can pass otherwise i shouldn't care about which bag and i just buy 2 bags, one for my clothes and some necessary stuff and the other for all my photography equipment and send them all for checking, i don't think i have time in the airport to tell the officers or others that those are just fine equipment and they are not so heavy and not cause much problems to carry in with me or so, also i don't want to be in situations that they reject it and telling me to empty some their in airport to lower the carry in bag weight and put it in the checking luggage.

I think i will start a thread to ask about what you people do exactly when you travel and i will mention all the gear i will carry so you answer me what you can do with that.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,835 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 08, 2010 08:36 |  #161

Yeah I'd say start a new thread so it won't get hidden in this one and then you can provide a link from this thread to your thread. I'd be interested to see how people travel with their gear. I think the right forum would be the lounge. Let me know when you start it so I can chime in.

Tareq wrote in post #9952893 (external link)
...but later another place in checking stage they took all the bags and told me nothing i can carry to the plane with me, i didn't fight or try to explain or even ask why as i know they are looking for any excuse as they saw my an arabic guy...

I have my own profiling problems and I am non-arabic...nature of the beast these days.

...Anyway, it seems that i must keep my carry in bag within 10kgs....

That's just over 22lbs. Is that per bag or for all bags. If per bag then split the weight. Like I said I pack and carry my gear and check my clothes. In the link above, one gentlemen stated that for international flights, he'd wear some of his gear so the bag meets the weight requirement because they don't weight the person, only the bags. Take a look at the link I provided and download the PDF files for international travel...interesting

I think i will start a thread to ask about what you people do exactly when you travel and i will mention all the gear i will carry so you answer me what you can do with that.

I think that would be a good idea that way folks can weigh in on how they go about traveling with their equipment.

Gear
Flickr (external link)

Tareq
17,913 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 08, 2010 23:59 |  #162

Methodical wrote in post #9955931 (external link)
Yeah I'd say start a new thread so it won't get hidden in this one and then you can provide a link from this thread to your thread. I'd be interested to see how people travel with their gear. I think the right forum would be the lounge. Let me know when you start it so I can chime in.

Done!

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=854949

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Scuff
520 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 16, 2010 15:38 as a reply to  @ Tareq's post |  #163

One from me.

Lens and camera mounted on me knees !!!

IMAGE: http://www.gtmedia.com/photos/Shaping%20the%20Shot.jpg

Scuff
Canon EOS 1Dx II, M5, XF400: 16-35 f4Lis, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8Lis III, 70-300 f4/5.6Lis, Sigma 150-600 Sport, 600ex-RT (3x), ST-E3 RT.
My flickr page (external link)

txcanon
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Feb 2008

May 22, 2010 05:34 |  #164

My newly aquired 600mm f/4L IS. Shot was handheld.

IMAGE: http://txcanon.smugmug.com/Birds-of-Texas/Bluebirds/Eastern-Bluebirds/IMG0935bb1/874810762_PgwLd-XL.jpg

Brad
bradfieldsphotography.​com (external link)

eric.brown
Goldmember
1,484 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

May 22, 2010 15:32 |  #165

txcanon wrote in post #10225819 (external link)
My newly aquired 600mm f/4L IS. Shot was handheld.

QUOTED IMAGE

Excellent. Bit jealous here now :)

7D Mark II | 7D | 5D Mark III | [/SIZE]17-40mm L | 24-105mm L IS | 300mm f4.0 L | 400mm f5.6 L | 1.4x III & 2x III Extenders | Gitzo Tripod | RRS BH-55
Flickr (external link) 500px (external link)

sponsored links

306,279 views & 64 likes for this thread
Canon EF 600mm f4L IS USM
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.