Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 16 Apr 2010 (Friday) 13:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What to photograph in Washington DC.

Nevilleblack
446 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 16, 2010 13:18 |  #1

Hey everybody

Im traveling to Washington DC for the first time. Its actually the first time Im heading to the States in years and Im really excited about it.
I will be going in September for 3 days and was hoping that anybody who has been there can post some photos or point out some really great places and things to photograph. Even if its obvious like the White House, maybe theres a really good spot to shoot it from.
Thanks in advance!

"And thats the kind of day it's been..." - Lloyd Robertson

sponsored links
greg20d
Typo King
1,972 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 16, 2010 20:19 |  #2

we went there about a month ago and everything around the national mall and the monuments
take good shoes

40D,10d,G10,70-200Lf4is,17-55is

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 16, 2010 20:53 |  #3

greg20d wrote in post #10009721 (external link)
take good shoes

+10 on that. You will be doing lots of walking around the DC area. Based on the pedometer I had I did almost 30 miles in 3 days last time I was there.

Photography options:

The Zoo. Quite a reasonable range of animals to shoot. If you are lucky, they may even be doing a cheetah run, where they have a lure rigged around the enclosure on a line - can get a cheetah moving at quite some speed.

Arlington - Tomb Of the Unknown soldier can be quite an experience - Watch it the first time, so you get the experience of the changing of the guard. Will also allow you to get an idea of what sort of shots interest you for the next one (usually changes happen every hour). Also there are things like the Challenger / Columbia memorials, JFK eternal flame etc. You can also get some quite interesting shots with the row upon row of grave stone. Just show respect for place, especially with the funerals that will occur while you are there - you are not suppose to take photos of funeral processions / or active funerals while there.

Do the tour of the memorials at night early in your visit. It won't strictly be dark when you start, but can get some good shots. Will also allow you to see quickly which of the memorials you may want to come back to with a bit more time (I quite like the FDR memorial).

A shot that can be quite good - A Night shot of the Washington Monument reflected in the reflecting pool. You tend to have to do this from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial - and you HAVE to have a tripod for the shot to come out any good.

Not photography related, but do visit the Holocaust Museum. Very disturbing, but well worth a visit. Definitely not suitable for kids under about 16 or so.

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

Freddie ­ Alessio
83 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 16, 2010 21:30 as a reply to  @ pleb1024's post |  #4

For American standards DC is a very architecturally rich city, and you'll get that sense anywhere in the NW quadrant south of R street (more or less depending on exactly where you are).

If you want to see different things from the Mall (not to belittle it - the Mall and environs like the Smithsonian Castle, White House, Lincoln Memorial, etc. are absolutely gorgeous) then venture out a little; there are other areas where I personally think need to be seen -- Georgetown and the Waterfront is definitely one of them (one of the oldest areas of DC; the colonial houses are some of the best next to Old Town Alexandria, Virginia); DuPont Circle, Adams Morgan, and U Street have much more of an urban feel but probably worth some snaps -- especially Adams Morgan on weekend nights, when every single university student mills from bar to bar and the inevitable chaos that ensues; Embassy Row (up Massachusetts Ave) is worth a look; and the "Catholic Ghetto" (as it's referred to by locals) in the NE part of the city around Catholic University of America is also fairly interesting...CUA has a great Basilica on its grounds and is surrounded by some lovely and interesting architecture.

Just a few ideas from a guy who lived there.

Rig: 50D Tamron 28-75 2.8 Canon 50 1.4 Canon S 10-22 550EX Elinchrom D-Lite 4 Oh yeah, and one a'them 70-200L 2.8, too!

Nevilleblack
THREAD ­ STARTER
446 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 20, 2010 10:45 |  #5

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like a great city for pics!

"And thats the kind of day it's been..." - Lloyd Robertson

Cougar548
345 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 20, 2010 21:21 |  #6

pleb1024 wrote in post #10009879 (external link)
Not photography related, but do visit the Holocaust Museum. Very disturbing, but well worth a visit. Definitely not suitable for kids under about 16 or so.

If you want to do this, make sure you go early in the morning to get tickets to the museum. They're free but they only allow so many people go through the main exhibit a day. As long as you have a ticket you can go at any time during the day. My wife and I missed out so we'll be going back next time for sure.

godzakka
353 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 20, 2010 22:02 |  #7

I personally like the following, some of which may have been mentioned above:

The Netherlands Carillon/Iwo Jima memorial - you get the classic Iwo Jima statue/flag memorial, plus as an added bonus you get the classic postcard shot of the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument and Capitol in one shot. Located in Arlington a small walk from the metro station. Easy to find.

Korean Memorial at night. The statues are all eerily lit and they look like they've come alive when all but the statues is fading into the darkness of night. Downtown, just south and east of the Lincoln Memorial.

The WWII memorial, at the east end of the Reflecting Pool. Also, you can get good shots of the Washington Monument around this area coming from the Korean Memorial.

Sunset over the Capitol from the steps of the Supreme Court. Great colors.

I don't know if it's picturesque or not, but the Old Post Office Tower is the second highest point in the city and you don't need tickets to get up it. It's a very good view of everything, with only the Washington Monument blocking a very small portion of your view. Located only a few blocks from the Whitehouse or Washington Monument.

Good luck with your shots. I lived there for just over four years and miss it a lot. It's a very photogenic city, and I'm lucky to be headed there during July 4th weekend to visit friends and hopefully get some of my own shots.

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,406 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined May 2007

Apr 20, 2010 22:07 |  #8

While in the DC area do not forget to go upstream of the Potomac to see the falls, or downstream to see Mount Vernon and Geo. Washington's tomb in the back. Not too far from there is Monticello.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

borism
Goldmember
3,415 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 04, 2010 09:43 |  #9

Just dis a search and found this thread
I just wanted to know if there is anyone that knows about a good Tour
I understand there are a couple of tours on Bus that let you stop and you can retake them after you visit as they go around the area
Any other suggestions for a good Photo Vacation experience in DC?

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

JoePhotoOnline
915 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 04, 2010 18:56 |  #10

Arlington is awesome, make sure you check it out, respectfully of course.

Beginners talk about cameras, Pros talk about lenses, and Masters talk about light.

stuartie
63 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 05, 2010 17:07 as a reply to  @ JoePhotoOnline's post |  #11

Had a great time in DC last year. There is loads to take photos of.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i695.photobucke​t.com …ay%2009/IMG_252​0-copy.gif (external link)

http://i695.photobucke​t.com …May%2009/Honour​-Guard.jpg (external link)

http://i695.photobucke​t.com …009/Vietnam-Memorial2.jpg (external link)

greg20d
Typo King
1,972 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 06, 2010 11:39 |  #12

stuartie wrote in post #10308734 (external link)
Had a great time in DC last year. There is loads to take photos of.

[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

nice shots i took a bunch of the changing of the guard even though I felt guilty do it.

40D,10d,G10,70-200Lf4is,17-55is

shsabres
185 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 21, 2010 14:18 |  #13

If you need any help with getting around and such just let me know..I live 5 mins outside of DC..tons to photograph..you will have fun!!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,317 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 21, 2010 14:20 |  #14

A nice photo of a congressman and his mistress can be quite lucrative :)

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 21, 2010 17:22 |  #15

gonzogolf wrote in post #10401765 (external link)
A nice photo of a congressman and his mistress can be quite lucrative :)

Sure was for the guy dealing with Letterman - how much jail time for him?

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,970 views & 0 likes for this thread
What to photograph in Washington DC.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.