Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 23 Mar 2010 (Tuesday) 18:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Eye-Fi with 1D Mark IV ???

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 15, 2010 13:51 |  #16

canonnoob wrote in post #10001136 (external link)
How do you get your photos onto your computer? Let me ask you that?

Well, you're claiming that you transfer 56 RAW files per second completely from your card onto your laptop. My D60 has raw files that are about 6 MB each; that'd be 330 MB/sec transfer rate at your quoted 560 files in 10 sec. And that's a 6 MP camera, not the 10 MP 40D or 1D3 with their average 12 MB RAW files, let alone the 16 MP 1D4. Or does PhotoMechanic just give you previews off the card, leaving you still needing to transfer the files to the computer, in that 10 sec?

A point to note about the EyeFi - if you're shooting in an area where you have WiFi, the file transfer is going on the whole time you're shooting - it doesn't wait for you to stop, take the card out of the camera, walk it over to the computer, insert it into the card reader and start the transfer process. By the time you get to the computer, if you've been using an EyeFi, at least the first photos will be up ready to view.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links
canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 15, 2010 14:18 |  #17

Jon wrote in post #10001265 (external link)
Well, you're claiming that you transfer 56 RAW files per second completely from your card onto your laptop. My D60 has raw files that are about 6 MB each; that'd be 330 MB/sec transfer rate at your quoted 560 files in 10 sec. And that's a 6 MP camera, not the 10 MP 40D or 1D3 with their average 12 MB RAW files, let alone the 16 MP 1D4. Or does PhotoMechanic just give you previews off the card, leaving you still needing to transfer the files to the computer, in that 10 sec?

A point to note about the EyeFi - if you're shooting in an area where you have WiFi, the file transfer is going on the whole time you're shooting - it doesn't wait for you to stop, take the card out of the camera, walk it over to the computer, insert it into the card reader and start the transfer process. By the time you get to the computer, if you've been using an EyeFi, at least the first photos will be up ready to view.

to get the photos off of my card onto my computer into a new folder - it takes roughly 10 seconds, Through photo mechanic I can browse that folder with or without ingesting the folder. If I ingest it takes that folder and breaks it down into another folder.simply stated It depends on your workflow.

OT- photo mechanic allows you to view your files much faster than lightroom does. Hence why I switched.

David W.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 15, 2010 14:39 |  #18

For it to actually move those bits onto your computer's drive in that 10 sec., I have to assume that you have Extreme Pro-class cards, an eSATA card reader and a SSD to move the photos to. Seagate's Barracuda 7200 rpm drives claim a sustained throughput of 160 MB/sec. That's about 1/4 of what you'd need to move that much data onto your hard drive in the time you claim, so you'd need to be using them in RAID striped, with at least 5 drives installed to handle the throughput you're claiming. Or else you're confusing the time it takes to display thumbnails with the time needed to move the files to where you can actually work with them.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Bloodbean
242 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 15, 2010 14:55 |  #19

canonnoob wrote in post #10001429 (external link)
to get the photos off of my card onto my computer into a new folder - it takes roughly 10 seconds,

Well first off, what type of card are you using? Secondly what type of reader are you using? I'm sure you can appreciate the numbers you are claiming are beyond amazing. Not trying to be a jerk, but if there is actually someway to get that many RAW files off a CF card in 10 seconds as you claim then I want to know how! ;)

Troy

7D, Rok 8mm, Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-55, Canon 50 1.4, Tamron 90 macro, 70-200L f4, FDn 135 f2, Sigma 170-500, Celestron C8 2,000mm f10
My Flickr page (external link)

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 16, 2010 07:30 |  #20

I would like to know as well. what equipment are you using/ computer setup?

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

malakite
677 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 16, 2010 07:45 |  #21

Word to wondering how to get bandwith like that from a card reader. Let us in on the secret. I promise I won't tell anyone :)

I own a magical box that captures light!
Flickr (external link)

isdoo
205 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Apr 16, 2010 10:58 |  #22

canonnoob wrote in post #9987125 (external link)
just so you know... 75 GBP is 115.26 USD.

It takes me exactly 10 seconds to load 560 RAW files onto my laptop VIA an external card reader, and open photo Mechanic to view the files.. No loading what so ever. The Eye-fi system does not compare with that.

impossible ;)

Would probably take 5 seconds to just open PM and click on the folder to view them, which leaves 5 seconds to upload the images.

I assume you have a solid state drive, as this would speed it up, but an external card reader would be via USB? So this would slow it down.

I think you mean minutes not seconds ;)

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 16, 2010 11:14 |  #23

wow I really caused a stir huh? lol.. well I guess I succeeded. Being truthful- it takes me about 1.5 minutes for a full 4gb card onto my computer. That is legit. But that is still better than the eye-fi.

David W.

Bloodbean
242 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 16, 2010 15:46 |  #24

Lame...

7D, Rok 8mm, Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-55, Canon 50 1.4, Tamron 90 macro, 70-200L f4, FDn 135 f2, Sigma 170-500, Celestron C8 2,000mm f10
My Flickr page (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 16, 2010 16:55 |  #25

canonnoob wrote in post #10006801 (external link)
wow I really caused a stir huh? lol.. well I guess I succeeded. Being truthful- it takes me about 1.5 minutes for a full 4gb card onto my computer. That is legit. But that is still better than the eye-fi.

Only if you disregard that the WiFi begins transfer immediately you take the first photo if there's a WiFi network available, while you can't start moving files off the card until you've taken it out of the camera and inserted it into the reader.

And congratulations - after that smart-alec move your credibility around here is now zero and falling. You're going to have to work some to recover to "remotely possible that if 600 other people agree with him, it might be true".

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

isdoo
205 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Apr 17, 2010 03:36 |  #26

some people live up to their usernames ;)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Apr 17, 2010 12:14 |  #27

isdoo wrote in post #10011140 (external link)
some people live up to their usernames ;)

Careful what you say lest someone out there comes back with a wisecrack remark about your username as well. ;) :)

...Leo

Robf
385 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 19, 2010 17:47 |  #28

using extreme IV here, which dumps via a card reader onto a stripe raid SSD drive... that hits the roof of the card way before the drives get pushed. Even the pro sandisks would max out before the drives did. Depending on what it is, it will clock over 100, sometimes 150mB/s. Not bad for a laptop.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,161 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 19, 2010 17:56 |  #29

Scuff wrote in post #9985625 (external link)
I dont have a Mk4 but I use the Eye-Fi pro 4gb on my 1Ds2 1D3 and G10.

Geotagging isnt really of interest to me so I won't comment on that. I mainly use it for ad-hoc or wifi connection to my laptop when in the studio or at a function.

Whilst the downloads are fast enough with small jpegs, the Raw files take a little longer, but it is worth the wait.

It is great to have the files ready for examination or editing in lightrrom within seconds. The customer loves to see the images straight away and can place orders there and then.

It also save quite a lot of money not having to purchase 2 Canon WiFi transmitters :cool:

For me it is great value and a great timesaver...

Do you use your WiFi Pro using a wireless LAN router, or is it wireless ad hoc connection to a laptop? If the latter, what O/S is the laptop running?

I was able to connect through a wireless router, but unable to establish an ad hoc wireless connection to my Windows XP laptop.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Scuff
520 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 20, 2010 09:44 |  #30

Wilt wrote in post #10212063 (external link)
Do you use your WiFi Pro using a wireless LAN router, or is it wireless ad hoc connection to a laptop? If the latter, what O/S is the laptop running?

I was able to connect through a wireless router, but unable to establish an ad hoc wireless connection to my Windows XP laptop.

Hi Wilt

I normally run it through my wifi networks, but if I am out of range of any wifi networks, I run an AdHoc connection to my laptop, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Scuff
Canon EOS 1Dx II, M5, XF400: 16-35 f4Lis, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8Lis III, 70-300 f4/5.6Lis, Sigma 150-600 Sport, 600ex-RT (3x), ST-E3 RT.
My flickr page (external link)

sponsored links

12,183 views & 0 likes for this thread
Eye-Fi with 1D Mark IV ???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.