Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 18 Apr 2010 (Sunday) 01:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is Abe's of Maine a good store to buy from?

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 18, 2010 01:46 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I found that their prices are very competitive, but there are also many rip-off reports about them, saying they call you back after you make a purchase to force you to buy more stuff & accessories, or else they say item is out of stock.

Does anybody have experience (positive/negative) when dealing with this store?
I'd like to hear some stories here before making my purchase.

Thanks

Gear | My gear is changing faster than I can update the signature
VoyageEyewear (external link)

sponsored links
Tim ­ Kostka
342 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 18, 2010 01:51 |  #2

Here's a long thread about them:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=772690

Zenfolio (external link) | Picasa Web (external link)
Canon EOS 7D | EF 24-105mm L | EF-S 10-22mm | EF-S 18-135mm | Sigma 50-500mm | 580EX II | Feisol CT-3441SB Tripod

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,453 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 18, 2010 17:59 as a reply to  @ Tim Kostka's post |  #3

I bought from them twice with no problems. The salesman did call me to verify the online purchase & tried to sell me a filter for the lens. When I told him I already had one, he did not persue any further.

So, Abe's of Maine gets two thumbs up from me!!

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

volfan1978
720 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 18, 2010 19:40 |  #4

JJD.Photography wrote in post #10019578 (external link)
I bought from them twice with no problems. The salesman did call me to verify the online purchase & tried to sell me a filter for the lens. When I told him I already had one, he did not persue any further.

I had the exact same experience. They offered an additional sale, but didn't press when I declined. I would recommend them.

Halliday
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 18, 2010 22:06 |  #5

I wouldn't mess with them unless you know exactly what you want. Back when I was a photo newb, I called them (the internet was just starting out and did not have pictures at the time) to order some off-brand but Canon style flash. The salesman tried to pressure me into buying some filters that would attach to the head of the flash. I said no, he gave up on the add-ons and I got my order in for the flash. After the flash arrived I realized the filters were included in the package, it said so right on the inside. So I barely dodged paying $20-40 extra for items that were included.

lanceshuey.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
"Like a mechanic who forgets to wipe his hands on a shop rag and then goes home, hugs his wife, and gets a grease stain on her favorite sweater — love touches you, and marks you forever."

JackLiu
570 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 18, 2010 22:38 |  #6

JJD.Photography wrote in post #10019578 (external link)

Yes, they called to confirm orders and to basically sell you on getting other stuff to complement the purchases. When I provided a negative response, they said the order would be fulfilled and shipped.

Go to http://www.resellerrat​ings.com (external link) for further info on sellers. It will be worth your time and effort.

"Love life and life will love you back. Love people and they will love you back." Arthur Rubinstein.

jenxin
47 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 18, 2010 23:09 |  #7

They're one of the best, cause of the deals they give. I bought my sigma 50mm f1.4 from them for only 440 brand new, and thats how much they're on sale for used.I got a call, and the sales guy was knowledgeable and tried selling some filters to compliment my lens purchase, told him no, and he said alright your order is being processed and will ship next day, awesome store.

aboss3
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 19, 2010 00:54 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

OK, sounds like they're legit. I'm looking to get a canon 85mm f/1.8 from them since they're offering a good price right now. Too bad BING no longer gives cashback for eBay purchases :( .....I miss that 8%

Gear | My gear is changing faster than I can update the signature
VoyageEyewear (external link)

tranhuy29
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 19, 2010 03:23 as a reply to  @ aboss3's post |  #9

I just made a purchase from them for the Sigmalux. The AALOYAL coupon code still works for 10% off Sigma lenses, so I paid $450 with free shipping! This is the first time I've purchased from them so I'm hoping for a good experience too.

Canon 50D | 17-40L | 85 f/1.8 | 28-135 Kit Lens | Sigmalux (coming soon!)

vitacura
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 19, 2010 11:32 |  #10

aboss3 wrote in post #10021696 (external link)
Too bad BING no longer gives cashback for eBay purchases :( .....I miss that 8%

What do you mean? I used Bing just last week at 8%.

Gear & Feedback

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 19, 2010 14:29 |  #11

aboss3 wrote in post #10021696 (external link)
OK, sounds like they're legit. I'm looking to get a canon 85mm f/1.8 from them since they're offering a good price right now. Too bad BING no longer gives cashback for eBay purchases :( .....I miss that 8%

Just checked Bing. 8% cashback is live and well.

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

Beachcomber ­ Joe
466 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 19, 2010 19:11 as a reply to  @ DiMAn0684's post |  #12

I have ordered a number of items from them over the years, the latest being a Sigma 150-500 purchased in February with the AALOYAL discount. As usual, I got the phone call to"verify" my order. Also as usual I declined the super special sale offer, filters these days, and the salesman made no attempt to continue after my "no thanks". My order was promptly processed, shipped, and arrived in A-1 condition.

One word of warning, don't check the box on the order page to receive emails about sales unless you like a lot of email, almost one a day.

Avplayer
88 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 20, 2010 01:09 |  #13

i ordered my 7d along with my 15-85 IS USM lens and now my 7d grip....i made sure to make 3 sepearte orderes since u can use coupon code "abesaves" for $10 off any order over $150. very good staff and did not find them pushy at all

sponsored links

592 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is Abe's of Maine a good store to buy from?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.