Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
Thread started 19 Apr 2010 (Monday) 07:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which UK Circuit is the most photographer friendly?

John ­ Hudson
Goldmember
1,157 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 19, 2010 07:34 |  #1

Just a general question really for those of us who have to photograph from the cheap seats as spectators.

My local circuit Croft has certainly made spectating as a photographer a lot more difficult over the last few years. Partly as a consequence I'll be visiting other circuits throughout this season.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on circuits which have decent access points, clear fields of view etc? Which corners within the circuits are fine points to photograph from?

Thanks

John.

sponsored links
andrewc
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 19, 2010 07:40 |  #2

Mallory Park is pretty good with only limited catch fencing on the way up to the hairpin. The rest is pretty much clear of fencing.

Oulton Park has some very good locations within the public areas.

Snetterton is a long way for you, but is quite open

Cadwell Park is very photogenic

Rockingham is the worst for spectators.

Knockhill in Scotland is supposed to be quite good, although I've not been myself.

Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography • Facebook Entry • Canon EOS 7D / 50D / 40D / 24-105L / Sigma 100-300 f4 / 50mm f1.8 / Tamron 28-300 / 2x Canon 580EX2 flash / Interfit and Lastolite studio gear / Manfrotto supports / Lowepro Stealth Reporter AW650 and Computrekker

John ­ Hudson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,157 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 19, 2010 07:46 |  #3

Cheers Andrew.

All I know at the moment is that I'm doing the GTs at Knockhill in May and we are going to get down to Oulton either for the BTCC or maybe the BSB. Another possibility is Cadwell for the vintage weekend.

I think Rockingham is out, I don't fancy it. The only thing that pulls me in to that circuit is that I think they do truck racing which I've never seen.

Mike ­ Hoyer
252 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 19, 2010 08:08 as a reply to  @ John Hudson's post |  #4

Pickup trucks yes, not "proper" trucks though!

Motorsport Photographer

andrewc
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 19, 2010 08:16 |  #5

Rockingham runs pickup truck racing on the oval, but its not the same truck racing that goes to Brands Hatch, Pembrey, Thruxton or Donington.

The pickups are 230bhp 2 litre petrol engines. The trucks are 1000bhp 12 litre turbo diesels.

Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography • Facebook Entry • Canon EOS 7D / 50D / 40D / 24-105L / Sigma 100-300 f4 / 50mm f1.8 / Tamron 28-300 / 2x Canon 580EX2 flash / Interfit and Lastolite studio gear / Manfrotto supports / Lowepro Stealth Reporter AW650 and Computrekker

Richard ­ Brewer
195 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 19, 2010 15:22 |  #6

Brands Hatch, whilst quite a way from you is quite good too. Particularly inside of Druids, if you want to get close to the cars (or trucks!).

Canon 7D and 30D with grips
Canon IS 100-400L
Canon EF-S17-85 IS
Speedlite flash and Alpinestars vest
www.rbmotorsportphotog​raphy.com (external link)

GSH
"wetter than an otter's pocket"
3,939 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 19, 2010 15:25 |  #7

In my experience it's probably Cadwell, Oulton Park and Knockhill in that order, with Knockhill being 3rd because it's a pain the the backside to get to, even from our little home by the (North) Sea.

I'd definitely recommend Cadwell for the VSCC meeting and i may well be there along with Simon Harrison, but be aware that BTCC or BSB at Oulton Park can be a complete nightmare getting in & out as the access is via country lanes.

If you fancy a Hillclimb, Harewood (near Leeds) is about as Photographer frirendly as it gets.

Now, looking at your other posts you have a 50-500, which opens up several possibilities...

Cadwell Park - "Charlies"

[IMAGE TOO SMALL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Cadwell Park, slightly further around "Charlies"
[IMAGE TOO SMALL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Cadwell Park - "Hall Bends".
IMAGE: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geoff.hubbert/Pics/Images%202009/MSVR%20Cadwell%20Saloons/MSVR%20Cadwell%2028%20June0638.jpg

Oulton Park - "Lodge"
IMAGE: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geoff.hubbert/Pics/Circuits/Oulton%20Park/IMG_2298.jpg

Oulton Park - "Knickerbrook"
IMAGE: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geoff.hubbert/Pics/Circuits/Oulton%20Park/Oulton%20Park%20F3%20GT-0483.jpg

Oulton Park - "Hill Top"
IMAGE: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geoff.hubbert/Pics/Images%202009/Oulton%20BTCC%20Sat/PM3H8807.jpg

Oulton Park - "Britten's"
IMAGE: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geoff.hubbert/Pics/Circuits/Oulton%20Park/Oulton%20Park%20F3%20GT-0656.jpg

Oulton Park - "Druids" (Inside)
IMAGE: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geoff.hubbert/Pics/Images%202009/Oulton%20BTCC%20Sat/PM3H8863.jpg

I'll be at Cadwell & Oulton Park a few times this year. If you want a guided tour just ask.

Geoff www.bhppix.co.uk (external link)

John ­ Hudson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,157 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 19, 2010 15:52 |  #8

Thanks GSH, especially for the corner-pics that's just the kind of info I was looking for.

John.

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 21, 2010 07:32 |  #9

Have to say Knockhill is pretty good - most of the decent bits of the track are useable for shooting if you pick your spot well enough.

You might need a decent length of lens at some bits although I have managed with my 70-300 (el cheapo Sigma).

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

John ­ Hudson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,157 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 21, 2010 09:40 |  #10

That's good to know Neil as Knockhill is definately on the agenda (don't know what for yet).

I should be ok for focal length as I have the option of 500mm on a 1.6 body, or 500mm + 1.4TC on a full frame body.

John.

sponsored links

1,590 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which UK Circuit is the most photographer friendly?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.