Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Apr 2010 (Monday) 04:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d users, who had to send yours 7d to Canon to fix erratic focus problems...

Gintas
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 19, 2010 04:41 |  #1

Hi,

I have a question for those of you, who had to send yours 7d to Canon to fix erratic (random) focus problem:

What was the official Canon answer, what was done to fix focus problems?
And was it fixed at all?

PS. Please respond only those users who had or still have focus problems with 7d!!!

sponsored links
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 19, 2010 06:09 |  #2

I'll bet I know what the unofficial answer was in most cases - PEBV.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 19, 2010 06:12 |  #3

I am sure you have one of the few factory defects. I have not heard of many with this problem, if at all.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

coyote20000
33 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 19, 2010 09:04 |  #4

Both my girlfriend and I bought 7D's recently. It appears that her images are better than mine. We are still testing this. I believe there is a focus problem, and some sorta chomatic problem. The colors don't 'pop' like her pictures do. I'm thinking the AWB might be defective. Again, I'm still testing this...

Canon 7D/EF14mmL /EF28-135mm /EF70-300mm /EX580II
Canon F

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,928 posts
Gallery: 1739 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Apr 19, 2010 09:44 |  #5

Maybe she's a better photographer than you? ;) (though it might be true)

Wouldn't the easiest way to test whether the camera is defective is by swapping cameras for a day and shoot and re-evaluate? If your photos suddenly improve, and the quality of hers tanks, then it's likely the camera. But if her shots from your 7D comes out better/sharper, more "pop", well then at least you can ask her to show you what she's doing differently. ;)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

coyote20000
33 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 19, 2010 10:52 as a reply to  @ jwcdds's post |  #6

I wouldn't doubt she's better than me.. :)

As for swapping, yeah, that's what we were thinking. Maybe even put them in a bag and mix them up, lol. See if we see a difference.
Anyway, I'll throw them on a tripod and use identical settings also. Just gotta find some time...
I'm going to hold off on firmware update till we really compare them..

Canon F

Cesium
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 19, 2010 11:17 |  #7

what erratic focus problem?

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 19, 2010 11:23 |  #8

yes, they corrected focusing errors on mine. However, the work order only said, (something to the effect of ...) "adjusted electrical contacts and bla, bla, bla ...."

They also put the camera back to factory specs meaning I had to go back through menus and reset the camera to my liking.

Before Canon service: Camera would snap lenses to focus instantly. The problem was whether the camera and lens would focus accurately on where the focus point was aimed. Usually not.

After Canon service: Sat on deck, baited railings with peanuts and bird food. Shot 25 images of the backyard regulars. 24 shots returned tack sharp focus, the one OOF shot was on me.

Yes, SOME of the 7Ds exhibit focus error issues not related to user-error. If yours does, send it Canon, they will do whatever it is they do the camera and hopefully return a 7D that focuses accurately.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

mosesport
Goldmember
1,172 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 19, 2010 11:28 |  #9

Everyone who buys a 7D has a bad copy. I will buy yours from you since it sucks.

Canon 5D Mark II - Konica Autoreflex TC - Nikon F4 - Leicaflex SL - Summicron-R 50mm f2 - Elmarit-R 135mm f2.8
---------------
flickr (external link) | 5∞px (external link)

coyote20000
33 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 19, 2010 12:16 |  #10

snyderman wrote in post #10023905 (external link)
yes, they corrected focusing errors on mine. However, the work order only said, (something to the effect of ...) "adjusted electrical contacts and bla, bla, bla ...."

They also put the camera back to factory specs meaning I had to go back through menus and reset the camera to my liking.

Before Canon service: Camera would snap lenses to focus instantly. The problem was whether the camera and lens would focus accurately on where the focus point was aimed. Usually not.

After Canon service: Sat on deck, baited railings with peanuts and bird food. Shot 25 images of the backyard regulars. 24 shots returned tack sharp focus, the one OOF shot was on me.

Yes, SOME of the 7Ds exhibit focus error issues not related to user-error. If yours does, send it Canon, they will do whatever it is they do the camera and hopefully return a 7D that focuses accurately.

dave

That's good to know. How long did it take to get it back?

Canon F

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 19, 2010 13:16 |  #11

coyote20000 wrote in post #10024233 (external link)
That's good to know. How long did it take to get it back?

Really quick turnaround on the service. They had it one full day (day after arriving there) and shipped it back the next.

Total time was shipped from OH on Wed., fixed by Canon on Monday, returned to me on Wed., so one full calendar week shipping, repair and received back at my home.

Excellent service, I'd say. Plus, they corrected the issues on my 7D to boot!

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Red ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,065 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 19, 2010 16:19 |  #12

I returned mine as it refused to focus in AI servo with any of my lenses. Worked fine in One Shot mode but autofocus was totally inconsistent in AI servo mode. After a couple of unsuccessful football matches, with about 3 shots in focus out of 500 taken, it was sent back to Canon via the original seller and they replaced it with a new one. New one arrived 3 weeks later and works like a dream.

www.davidmaginnissport​sphotography.zenfolio.​com/ (external link)
Canon 1DX mkii +Canon 1DX - Canon EF 200-400 F4, Canon 300 IS F2.8 + Canon 70-200 F2.8 & Sigma 120-300 f2.8 Sport
Other Photos: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/actionpix/ (external link)

gs300tx
77 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 19, 2010 16:39 |  #13

I had mine sent in to cannon a few weeks ago for rear focusing issues. They admitted to the problem and claimed that they fixed it. It is now back at Canon as we speak, but this time it is because the Electronicl Level Display freezes up on me.(They should have fixed this the first time because I told them I was having this issue as well).

JerryA
111 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 19, 2010 16:50 |  #14

My first 7D, sent in, report = Electronic Focus Adjustment, fine after (+: Second 7D, great from the get go. Turn around-hand delivered- 4 days!!!! I lucked out. Canada btw Good luck, don't bust your nut, if you have checked your lenses ( MA ) and are comfortable it's not your your skill/familiarity with it, send it in.

Took me a couple of months to finally say, enough is enough, and it WAS the camera. Had 30,40, 2x50s and a Mark III prior to the 7D, so there are duds out there, but from everything I've read, before and since, it's a fixable issue in 99% of the cases.

Ken ­ Nielsen
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 19, 2010 18:01 |  #15

Gintas wrote in post #10022239 (external link)
Hi,

I have a question for those of you, who had to send yours 7d to Canon to fix erratic (random) focus problem:

What was the official Canon answer, what was done to fix focus problems?
And was it fixed at all?

PS. Please respond only those users who had or still have focus problems with 7d!!!

A shameful thread, again. OP, please read the volumnous post by those who 'swear' and also swear that the problems they are having are with the camera. You question should more appropriately be: How many users need to be sent back to the factory to learn how to use the 7D?

Stay tuned.

sponsored links

6,951 views & 0 likes for this thread
7d users, who had to send yours 7d to Canon to fix erratic focus problems...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.