Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Apr 2010 (Monday) 17:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Equipment Insurance

rpkwon
89 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 19, 2010 17:53 |  #1

My photography is strictly a hobby, but the equipment I'm adding to my collection is adding up quickly. The question is, does any "non professional" photographers here gets their equipment insured? If so, where?

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 19, 2010 17:57 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

I never got any equipment insurance for my gear. I just started building a nice collection of lens not too long ago, and am constantly changing/upgrading it. Usually I just carry 1 camera and 1 lens with me, and am very good with my gear.
None of my friends also carry insurance, and were OK for a long time doing pro photography. I guess this is one of those things where something might happen to your gear tomorrow, or never. As for me, it's not like having a car insurance, so I can leave with the consequences if anything happens to my gear.

Gear | My gear is changing faster than I can update the signature
VoyageEyewear (external link)

Overread
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 19, 2010 18:01 |  #3

I've heard that quite a few can get stuff like camera gear added to their household insurance ( in the UK this is) without adding much to the overall cost and that it is covered when offsite as well.

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

jeremytf
212 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 19, 2010 18:10 |  #4

Insurance coverage for your gear can be included in homeowner's insurance or renter's insurance. I believe you need to declare the value (and probably show documentation of it) and pay a few extra bucks for the insurance to include a rider for it. I'm going to do this after I move soon. Anyone who doesn't think it's necessary has never had their home burglarized! It can happen to anyone when you least expect it and it's infuriating.

Gear, Feedback

rpkwon
THREAD ­ STARTER
89 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 19, 2010 18:12 |  #5

Well, my primary concern isn't theft as much as accidental damages. Would the homeowner's insurance coverage work for lost/damages occruance outside of the house?

flickr (external link)

markol
841 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 19, 2010 18:34 |  #6

You can add it to your homeowners or renters' insurance but you'll have to call your agent.

www.borrowlenses.com (external link)

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,410 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 19, 2010 18:51 |  #7

Read these threads to get educated on insuring your equipment.

One word of caution - do not get a rider on your home owners insurance - always get a separate and distinct stand alone policy, again no rider policy. But read and you will see why.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=715513

Here's another thread

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=796153

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Muskydave22
Goldmember
1,716 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 19, 2010 18:55 |  #8

I just got my stuff insured for about $5000 and its $92 a year with no deductible. It covers if it is stolen or accidentally damaged. Pretty good if you ask me.

Dave

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

vitacura
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 19, 2010 21:23 |  #9

I have State Farm, they have great rates and service!

Gear & Feedback

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Apr 19, 2010 23:12 |  #10

I have a stand alone policy for my gear. Does not make sense to me to risk my household insurance going up if something happens to my gear.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Apr 19, 2010 23:17 |  #11

Sad to say.. My truck was broken into while I was playing softball on 3/19
My Insurer for homeowners and car is Allstate.
They were shocked when I provided them the list of everything in my sig.
Since the equipment wasn't attached to my car, it went against my homeowners policy.
500 dollar deductible; and a check was supposed to be sent out yesterday.

Lesson # 1: Those pictures in the box thread and bag threads that show what gear I "had" ended up being priceless.

Lesson #2: Buying things online means you have proof of what you bought from who and when and for how much.

Lesson #3; write down and email yourself all the serial numbers you can find! This I did NOT do. I thought the Ser #'s were on the boxes for my lenses.. they're not.

More to come; but for now... I'm happy I'm with Allstate!

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

vitacura
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 19, 2010 23:27 |  #12

Wow, Tdragone, sorry to hear. I will take your advice and make sure I have pictures/serial numbers/receipts in my fireproof safe just in case.

Gear & Feedback

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,410 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 19, 2010 23:54 |  #13

When you get a personal article policy, the insurance company require all that information (pictures, receipt, SN) before it will write a policy - at least St. Farm requires it. So it will be on file but it's always best to have a backup, which I do have. A personal article policy has no deductible or limits nor does it go against your homeowners policy - ie. stand alone. Just a word to the wise

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 20, 2010 00:01 |  #14

rklepper wrote in post #10028152 (external link)
I have a stand alone policy for my gear. Does not make sense to me to risk my household insurance going up if something happens to my gear.

Exactly. If you have a claim against your home owner's insurance for camera gear, they can cancel your insurance and you will be hard-pressed to find another. I still don't understand why people spend so much money on gear only to screw themselves w/ a half-assed insurance plan.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

GTogs
Goldmember
1,175 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Apr 20, 2010 05:45 |  #15

I insure my equipment with State Farm under a stand alone policy. They require all serial numbers and value at the time of adding the coverage. It covers full replacement cost for kind of loss or damage. It gives my a feeling of security when transporting it all over the country!

Togs
My Gear

sponsored links

4,497 views & 0 likes for this thread
Equipment Insurance
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.