Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Feb 2010 (Thursday) 13:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pelican 1510 owners chime in please

fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 22, 2010 03:39 |  #31

for those who have used the dividers and foam... do you think the foam protects better than the dividers?

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

sponsored links
1stGenRex
THREAD ­ STARTER
564 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 22, 2010 11:58 |  #32

I would think that it does, but the foam is not as versatile as the dividers.

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 22, 2010 16:57 as a reply to  @ 1stGenRex's post |  #33

Storm doesn't matter since Pelican bought the company..........

Foam is probably better, but dividers work a heck of a lot better...... I have dividers. Problem with foam is people try to stuff too much in there and not enough padding left....

I used dividers and PAD whats inside with bubble wrap.... If you look at the dividers there isn't a lot of padding there.....

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

Analog6
565 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 22, 2010 17:07 |  #34

You north americans are so lucky with prices, that case with dividers is $AUD435.00 here. That's a $US404.00 equivalent. and B&H have it for $155.00!

I checked their shipping and even with adding on the $US130 charge it is still only $US265.00. Just ridiculous!

Odille
---------------
My Facebook (external link) / Photo Blog (external link) / RedBubble shop (external link) / My Calendars (external link)

sdsviet
477 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 29, 2010 18:06 |  #35

Analog6 wrote in post #10047005 (external link)
You north americans are so lucky with prices, that case with dividers is $AUD435.00 here. That's a $US404.00 equivalent. and B&H have it for $155.00!

I checked their shipping and even with adding on the $US130 charge it is still only $US265.00. Just ridiculous!

i bet i can buy one and ship it to u for under $50. that's just ridiculous that it should cost that much. mine is coming in on mon. im kinda mad that i had the accessories mesh in my cart and then it was taken out later because they didnt have it in stock. i then ordered the case and then the next day it was back in stock. stupid bhphoto. i dont even feel like ordering the accessory mesh anymore. haha

| EOS 5D | EOS 40D | 24-70mm F2.8L | 85mm F1.8 | 580EX II w/Stofen | Sunpak RD2000 |
| My Blog (external link)|Ebay Feedback (external link)|Twitter (external link)

Pinto
Always in our hearts and minds. R.I.P.
3,124 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

May 01, 2010 21:02 |  #36

M.Bowen wrote in post #10025797 (external link)
I dont like Pelican one bit. I have a few (4) of there micro cases and I have had to send them all back 2 times already. the plastic on the hinges keep chipping and the lid separates from the base. I like Store Cases much better. They have better closing latches, wheels and handles. I will never buy a Pelican again.

Check to see what Storm makes that compares to the 1510.

Thanks,
Mike

This is the first criticism of Pelican case quality that I've ever seen. Perhaps the micro cases are made to a less rigid standard.

Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

May 02, 2010 02:00 |  #37

I'd recommend that you consider the hardigg/pelican storm im2500 as well. It's another carry on case made by hardigg/pelican. The reasons as to why i chose it was.
- more internal space
- At that time, the padding configuration made more sense to me as I could fit 3 bodies (1 rebel, 1 40D, 1 5DMII), and 3 essential lenses (11-16, 17-55, 70-200 Mark I).
- The latches were better for the consumer. They are single throw with a push button as oppose to double throw
- the handle was better as it has less flex to it.

But downsides that I see with the im2500 is that:
-The lock holes are not reinforced with aluminum
-The optional photographer's organizer is not as nice as the pelicans'. I decided to opt out of the lid organizer.

I'm also torn as to which company i will go to when it comes to holding my new lighting equipment. Since both companies are quite good, I'd go with the company that can provide the best padding layout design.

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 06, 2010 12:00 |  #38

Just got the 1514 case yesterday and was surprise to see that it's smaller in person than I expected. Haven't really load up with all the gears yet.

Do you guys find the lid organizer helpful or the stuffs in there will rub against the lenses/cameras?

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

joayne
Cream of the Crop
12,877 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

May 06, 2010 12:21 |  #39

If you use the organizer, you cannot use the foam insert, it's one or the other. I prefer the foam for cushioning.

joayne Contribute to POTN | Worldwide Photo Week

Please Quote the post you are responding to.

snails
"I used the last of it to tip the strippers."
1,517 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 06, 2010 12:24 |  #40

M.Bowen wrote in post #10025797 (external link)
I dont like Pelican one bit. I have a few (4) of there micro cases and I have had to send them all back 2 times already. the plastic on the hinges keep chipping and the lid separates from the base. I like Store Cases much better. They have better closing latches, wheels and handles. I will never buy a Pelican again.

Check to see what Storm makes that compares to the 1510.

Thanks,
Mike

Hardigg Storm Cases was purchased by the Pelican Case company in January of 2009.

Pelican's mini cases are built differently than their larger products. I have a 1510LOC and I'm certain it'll never break.

sdsviet
477 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 06, 2010 15:25 |  #41

i just recently recieved my 1514 with dividers and i filled up everything that's in my sig. also a ton of misc stuff in there too plus a gorilla pod slr. i am looking to purchase the accessory mesh since i can use that to put my misc stuff and have room for future big items like another 580ex2 and lens. right now all that stuff has filled the entire 1514. with all that the whole thing weighed in at 26.2lbs. so i got a decent amount of weight space left for the 40lb domestic carryon limit. personally this thing is amazing, it is definitely smaller than i thought it was gonna be. think of those little carryon suitcases, not the huge ones people seem to be getting by with nowadays with the charging of checkins'.

im thinking instead of screwing in the accessory mesh, i would glue or screw in metal clips that would just clip around the perimeter of the accessory backplate so that i can make my own laptop insert and just clip it on. i would have gotten my accessory mesh already if bhphoto didnt mess up on my order and told me it was backed order. now i gotta go to adorama and pick one up instead.

| EOS 5D | EOS 40D | 24-70mm F2.8L | 85mm F1.8 | 580EX II w/Stofen | Sunpak RD2000 |
| My Blog (external link)|Ebay Feedback (external link)|Twitter (external link)

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 06, 2010 20:02 |  #42

I ve got a case with the lid organizer. I never use it. But lay a piece of bubble wrap over the cameras to pad them from the organizer. I also pad the dividers some with bubble wrap. Dividers are better than foam if you change things around but are lacking in padding

Mark H

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 06, 2010 23:37 |  #43

I was able to fit these into the 1514 tonight...no camera to take a pic. Will try that next day.

1ds mkii - fit with either the body plate is on or off.
1d mkiii
70-200 f2.8 IS - horizontal
24-70
135L
85 f1.2
17-40
50 f1.4
580 ex II
2 - 1ds mkii spare batteries
1 - 1d mkiii spare battery
77mm cpl
2 pocket wizards
Tamron 1.4x TC
8 - AAA eneloop
all lenses have hoods either reversed on laying on top of other hoods.

That's pretty good holding regarding the size of the case. The whole thing weight around 37lbs.

The Photo Trekker can swallow all that plus a 100f2.8 macro, a second 580 EX.

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

Vascilli
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 06, 2010 23:41 |  #44

Pinto wrote in post #10104056 (external link)
This is the first criticism of Pelican case quality that I've ever seen. Perhaps the micro cases are made to a less rigid standard.

I'm now suspicious of the micro cases, as they're specifically advertised as water resistant. :confused:

Flickr (external link) | Gear List

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 07, 2010 00:49 as a reply to  @ Vascilli's post |  #45

4x4rock. I'd love to see a pic of how you stuffed that into a 15xx case

I'm sure the micro cases are waterproof. Personally I think the material will not stand up. I'd doubt that pelican actually makes them. If they do the process must be different. I've seen pics of the big machine that makes the larger cases and it's literally house sized. It's huge... I'd suspect the micro cases are made in a PAC rim country with conventional equipment

Mark H

sponsored links

8,448 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pelican 1510 owners chime in please
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.