Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Oct 2009 (Friday) 07:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Straps with quick release scare me....

SnlpeR
Goldmember
1,013 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 12, 2009 21:16 as a reply to  @ post 8809870 |  #31

ok i found a flaw with the quick releases

i did a shoot yesterday only to find out i didnt have the padding on my optech.
i unclipped the padding from the strap the day before so i can tuck it in the side pocket of a bag
i did not bring that bag
so i was left with a camera dangling 1ft from my shoulder

the beauty of the optech strap releases is that they are opposite on both ends
so you can clip the straps together and clip the padding together

sponsored links
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 13, 2009 04:15 |  #32

QR on the strap attached to the camera is vital for me. When I use my 300 f2.8 I want the strap attached to the lens - so I use the special strap Canon supply with it. What I really don't want is another strap attached to the camera getting in the way. So I use the Optech Pro attached to the body when I'm shooting with a small lens and remove it when moving to the big one.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

ChristopherChen
298 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 13, 2009 05:23 |  #33

I used cable ties on both ends of my QR clips on the Optech Straps I use. I cut off the excess cable tie and file down the cut ends so it's smooth and does scratch anything.

It not only prevents me from any accidental bumping to dislodge the strap but also from theft. :D

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 13, 2009 08:25 |  #34

I have never had the POTN strap fail on me and I have 4 of them. The quick release is solid and I can't imagine not having it. I can have my 5D2 with 70-200 2.8 IS and a flash and not feel insecure at all. I shoot for hours on end, so I have to depend on it at times.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 13, 2009 18:17 |  #35

Upstrap! By far the best strap's I have ever used. I usually have a MKIIN and a 70-200 2.8 hanging from shoulder with no worries about the quick release thingys. Upstrap uses mil-spec 300 pound quick release ends. I also use one of their bandolier straps with the qucik release clips on my 400 2.8.

Chris
Gear List | Website (external link) | Sports Sample Pictures (external link) | Four Seam Images (external link)

If you’re good at something, never do it for free. - The Joker

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 13, 2009 18:26 |  #36

Ironically, I carry around near $3k guitars at shows with the quick-release 'strap-locks.' They are the best thing to happen to guitars since Hendrix.

I use the quick release strap deal on my camera, (don't recall the brand) but feel 100% safe using that technology. Comes from years of playing guitars and trusting the gear.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Dawud
392 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 14, 2009 03:55 as a reply to  @ snyderman's post |  #37

I'm also afraid of the QR. That's why I bought the Crumpler Industry Disgrace. On Ebay you can find them, I bought it from "Joelsee" which I can recommend!

Camera • lenses

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 22, 2010 08:18 |  #38

I was feeling a bit uneasy about my QR on my strap as well. This tread made me feel a bit better.

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

oRGie
398 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 22, 2010 10:33 as a reply to  @ post 8791072 |  #39

optech pro user here, as I like to take off the neck part most of the time and only use it when walking around and want my hands free. I do have a couple of velcro cable ties in my bag, when in heavy crowds I thread the velcro ties around the qr clips for added security. If you leave the neck strap as is all the time you could also do that for peace of mind.

oRGie - I am an EOS and the 7D was my idea :cool:
http://www.fluidr.com/​photos/orgie (external link)
EF70-200F4LIS - EF-S15-85IS - EF50 1.8II

Beachcomber ­ Joe
466 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 22, 2010 10:42 as a reply to  @ professorman's post |  #40

I have been using Tamrac straps with their quick release connectors for many years. The clips are quite capable of bearing any load I would put on them, 100 lbs. if memory serves me right. In spite of long use, they still connect and disconnect firmly and securely. I use them on my camera bodies, long lenses and tripod. The quick connect allows me to quickly dispense with the strap when I want to shoot with just the E-1 hand strap.

Many talk about damaging their camera if the connector should fail. I had a camera knocked off a low table onto a tile floor. It landed on the pentaprisim housing. Fortunately the connector was directly under it and absorbed the force of the impact. The result was one camera without damage and one smashed quick connector. So in my case, which is not an urban legend, the connector prevented severe damage to the camera.

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 22, 2010 10:53 |  #41

oRGie wrote in post #10044490 (external link)
I do have a couple of velcro cable ties in my bag, when in heavy crowds I thread the velcro ties around the qr clips for added security. If you leave the neck strap as is all the time you could also do that for peace of mind.

Good idea about that Velco tie. I will do that.

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 22, 2010 15:51 |  #42

My worry about quick release is not that it will fail, but what if someone or some kid unclip it.

That's why I use velcro over the quick release.

But now since I use the dual harness system, I don't have to worry anymore. If 1 quick release was unclip, I still have the other QR.

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 22, 2010 16:26 |  #43

It used to scare me too. But then I had a Fluke vender rep come into work one day with a $40,000 Fluke Network Analyzer and randomly noticed that the whole thing was carried by, you guess it, an Op/Tech strap WITh quick releases! After that I figured: dang, if its good enough for Fluke, its good enough for me!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

jobino
20 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 23, 2010 16:04 |  #44

Hop : http://www.space-concept.org …olage-courroie-dappareil/ (external link)
Google for French -> English
Hope it could help.

1D Mk III - 24-70 f2.8 L - 70-200 f4 L - Tc 1.4 II - 300 f4 L IS - 430 Ex - 2xSigma EF-500 DG Super

kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 23, 2010 23:04 |  #45

by quick release, if you guys are referring to side release buckles... well, certain brands out there that are more reliable than others...

Tifco (US) / Nifco (Jpn) / Kifco (RoK)
YKK
Duralex

are some of the more established brands that uses good materials...

there are many knockoffs out there that uses plastics that does not go through the rigid testing as some of the branded accessories and usually, they are very easy to spot (despite the similarities in mold) in that the finishing and mold line is very raw looking...

you should also release and check the buckles, both male and female side, give it a nice sqeeze and it should feel rigid and yet springy... if it yields too easily... it can deform easily...

when you close the buckle, listen for a sharp click versus more of thud...

my favorite test, i take the closed buckle and sqeeze the side release, the male portion should "shoot out" of the buckle assembly...

when selecting accessories for apparel/bag manufacturing, i used to go through a lot of these buckles and checked them for quality and strength... i'm a big fan of the eye, sound, touch inspection... hehehe...

oh, and one more thing... also can be quite important...
some of these quick release buckles are designed to offer resistance to "lock" the webbing tape in place where a simple lift of the end of the buckle will release the resistance allowing for a quick adjust of the webbing length...

2 major points i like to check for

1) webbing tape should be quite stiff and substantial... i was dissapointed in my recent purchase of the Think Tank Street Walker... all is well except the 1" webbing tape used is so light and thin that the buckle barely holds in place...

2) webbing end should have a nice "stop" so it does not come out of the buckle easily, more so if the webbing is too thin...

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

sponsored links

7,618 views & 0 likes for this thread
Straps with quick release scare me....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.