Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 21 Apr 2010 (Wednesday) 10:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Doolittle Raiders Gathering, 18 April 2010

FLphotoguy
Goldmember
1,357 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 21, 2010 21:10 |  #16

ryanapem wrote in post #10039978 (external link)
Great shots! Looks to me like the slow shutter risk paid off well :)

I agree! Frozen props in these images would have been a shame.

5D2, 80D, 17-40 L, 28-105 L IS, 100-400 L IS, 85 1.8, Nifty 50 1.8, Sigma 18-250, 550EX, Promaster System PRO Studio lights

sponsored links
Eaton ­ Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
996 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 22, 2010 13:25 |  #17

FLphotoguy wrote in post #10041294 (external link)
I agree! Frozen props in these images would have been a shame.

I concur, hence why I panned with everything that wasn't sitting on the Ramp's.

Here is a slightly different perspective:

"Shooter""aka Jim Wilson" doing what he does best......

IMAGE: http://www.eatonphotos.com/img/v12/p659652470-5.jpg

JamesFacebook Profile  (external link)| Facebook Page (external link)
My Images (external link)
| My Gear

andrewhuxman
Cream of the Crop
8,601 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 22, 2010 14:24 |  #18

Excellent captures James, Pacific Prowler is one of my favorites its so pretty and shiny .

A little L goes a long way.

Canon 5D4, 7D2, 7D, 40D, gripped,16-35MM 2.8L,24-105MM F4L,70-200MM 2.8 IS USM L,500MM F4L
www.machtwomedia.com (external link)

Praemunitus
554 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 22, 2010 20:02 |  #19

Great panning shots, especially considering the speed they were moving and your slow shutter speed. Kudos!

My Flickr (external link)

mebailey
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 22, 2010 21:01 as a reply to  @ Praemunitus's post |  #20

Outstanding shots and technique!!

Are any of the original raiders still living to be present at the gathering?

My Gear

silvrr
Goldmember
2,755 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 22, 2010 21:20 |  #21

Great to see the old birds still flying. Nice shots.

Past Sale Feedback

Desertraptor
Cream of the Crop
11,550 posts
Gallery: 212 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 23, 2010 02:35 |  #22

Great shots
Were these recovered from China?
If memory serves they left from the carrier and had to run for China after the raid?

Peter
Canon 6D|60D|40D
Lens 10-22mm f2.8|50mm f 1.8|100mm f2.8 Macro

24-70mm f2.8|L100-400mm f4.5-5.6L
Flash 430EX II
Telescope Skywatcher 600mm ED80 f7.5 GEM EQ3

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 23, 2010 03:02 |  #23

Desertraptor wrote in post #10049526 (external link)
Great shots
If memory serves they left from the carrier and had to run for China after the raid?

Pretty sure the original plan called for a relatively benign recovery in the USSR, but the early launch due to possible blown OpSec when they encountered the Japanese fishing boat meant fuel reserves would be stretched to the max. I think they all knew it had become a "do the best to get to wherever you can" deal.

The "reunion" aspect has to do with the men and not the actual aircraft. I believe they were expecting eight surviving crewmen but only four were actually able to attend.

AFAIK, none of the 17 B-25s that were in Dayton were actual Doolittle Raid aircraft. Don't think there are any B-model B-25s still flying.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 23, 2010 09:14 |  #24

Fantastic shots.

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,236 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 23, 2010 09:46 |  #25

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #10049582 (external link)
Pretty sure the original plan called for a relatively benign recovery in the USSR, but the early launch due to possible blown OpSec when they encountered the Japanese fishing boat meant fuel reserves would be stretched to the max. I think they all knew it had become a "do the best to get to wherever you can" deal....

I think the plan was always to land in China, just way deeper in unoccupied China and as it turned out, like you say, they barely made the coast. The whole plan was quite an undertaking.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 23, 2010 10:13 |  #26

As a bombing raid, it did little to damage the Japaness war machine at the time. But what that raid did for moral state side was HUGE! We struck back at Japan after they destroyed Pearl Harbor and a big part of the Pacific fleet and that was a really big deal. These men need to be honored at every opportunity, before it's too late.

A few years back I got the very big honor of getting to sit down with Col. Paul Tibits during a video taping for a show that aired on the History Channel. He talked for 2 hours about how he and Robert Openhiemer developed a plan to deliver "The Bomb" and then all about the flight and delivery of the package to Japan. That was one of my best moments in my TV career. An amazing moment of history told by someone that was actually there and made the thing happen. And I got paid to do it!

Great images BTW! You seem to have that panning technique down. Nicely done.

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

LA ­ Smith
403 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 23, 2010 10:16 |  #27

Wow! Beautiful shots. I wish my panning shots wre that good!

5D,20D, some lenses and stuff

G3G4G5
883 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 23, 2010 10:21 |  #28

Great pics. I've got a shot of the Yellow Rose in Hondo, TX from 1985 when she didn't wear a bikini! Times have changed.......

Chris
1D Mark IV, 7D, EF 500mm f/4L IS, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 17-40mm f/4L
Flickr (external link)

Eaton ­ Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
996 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 23, 2010 11:48 |  #29

Everyone that has replied. Thank you for the feedback. It was an Awesome experience, for which if I hadn't had Thunder Over Louisville as a scheduling conflict, I would have been there all 4 days. Alas, I was only able to make Sunday, but it was a gorgeous day for flying. All my images, that I have posted are hand-held. I took my mono-pod, but never took it out of the car. ;)

andrewhuxman wrote in post #10046019 (external link)
Excellent captures James, Pacific Prowler is one of my favorites its so pretty and shiny .

Thank you Andrew.

Praemunitus wrote in post #10047864 (external link)
Great panning shots, especially considering the speed they were moving and your slow shutter speed. Kudos!

Thank you for the feedback. I'm still working on getting better with panning. (Seeing how Slow I can go, without using support ;) )

mebailey wrote in post #10048141 (external link)
Outstanding shots and technique!!

Are any of the original raiders still living to be present at the gathering?

Thank you. I'll post some more, once I've worked through them. As Jay stated, 8 are living, however, only 4 were able to attend the gathering.

silvrr wrote in post #10048256 (external link)
Great to see the old birds still flying. Nice shots.

It is great to see the old girls still flying. I wish there lots more, but there isn't. :(

Desertraptor wrote in post #10049526 (external link)
Great shots

Negative on recovery. Most of these served in other Theaters', and have since been restored to flying condition, most with their original squadron's colors/ insignia. Some have been customized :)

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #10049582 (external link)
The "reunion" aspect has to do with the men and not the actual aircraft. I believe they were expecting eight surviving crewmen but only four were actually able to attend.

AFAIK, none of the 17 B-25s that were in Dayton were actual Doolittle Raid aircraft. Don't think there are any B-model B-25s still flying.

Jay, hit the nail on the head. ;)

DisrupTer911 wrote in post #10050647 (external link)
Fantastic shots.

Thank you.

gjl711 wrote in post #10050771 (external link)
I think the plan was always to land in China, just way deeper in unoccupied China and as it turned out, like you say, they barely made the coast. The whole plan was quite an undertaking.

You sir, are correct. Those crews that made it to land, landed in occupied China, instead of further into Allied China, where the original LZ was located.

JamesFacebook Profile  (external link)| Facebook Page (external link)
My Images (external link)
| My Gear

slcr1
421 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 23, 2010 11:53 |  #30

Very impressive! Wish I could have been there to see this!

- Josh

Websites: http://www.nexgenphoto​.com (external link)

sponsored links

5,562 views & 0 likes for this thread
Doolittle Raiders Gathering, 18 April 2010
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.