Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 18 Apr 2010 (Sunday) 19:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

when do you get your ring shot?

doubledragon
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 18, 2010 19:51 |  #1

I've been skimping on the ring shots lately, mostly just grabbing a shot quickly of the rings on the bride & groom's hands and cropping later. I'd like to start working on more interesting ring shots, macro shots with some OCF– but I'm wondering when do you guys find time to do it? do you knock these out before the wedding?

Philadelphia Wedding Photographer: Portfolio/Blog (external link)
Follow my Instagram, I'll follow you back (external link)
gear list

sponsored links
dche5390
714 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 18, 2010 20:23 |  #2

Before the wedding. Always. But this of course depends on the contract (ie, when you're paid to start coverage).

Here are a few samples I got only because I was not the pro tog and was the ring bearer. The first three were taken in the morning as the boys were getting ready (aka, lie around doing nothing).

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2798/4464818928_cd3b97e4b9.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2696/4464041913_e0fb4e86f1.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/4464818808_c1437d22d7.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2739/4464827832_36c5613d54.jpg

When the pro tog arrived at the church, I asked whether he'd like to get some ring shots before things started getting hectic and he was very appreciative. Once the ceremony starts, I don't think there is a chance to get ring shots.

angusporter.com (external link)

images ­ by ­ Paul
346 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 18, 2010 21:33 |  #3

I did 15 years of the hands over the flowers ring shot and thought if I did one more, I'd puke. So, I changed to the more varied of the shots, whether it's the rings alone, on the invitation, on a flower etc. Those shots, I get whenever time allows. Sometimes, I'll ask the B&G to "borrow" their rings at the reception (when it's slow) and go do something with them. In this case, I ALWAYS have an assistant take a shot of me giving the rings back to both the Bride and the groom.

auroraskye
Goldmember
2,445 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 18, 2010 21:37 |  #4

While they're eating dinner :)

I am super cool n' stuff.
http://www.brandithomp​sonphotography.com (external link)
Like Me On Facebook (external link)

FamilyJules
Goldmember
3,104 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 19, 2010 01:39 |  #5

I'm in Brandi's boat.... I always ask them while they're eating. they're not doing anything at that point, and don't want shots of them stuffing food in their mouth, so I usually sneak off for about 5 mins to get some rings shots. NEVER had a problem... No one has ever questioned taking them off after the ceremony.
It's hard to always do them before, b/c if you're with the bride (which in most cases you are before the ceremony), the groom has the bride's ring... I've only seen a few where they have them both together before the ceremony.

*Jules* Gear: 2 x 7D| 40D | 2 x 17-55 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 85 1.4 | 70-200 2.8 IS |28-135 IS | 3 x 580EX II | www.JulieWilsonPhotos.​com (external link) or join me on Facebook (external link)

sctbiggs
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 19, 2010 09:13 |  #6

sometimes before ceremony, sometimes during dinner, sometimes during dancing... basically, whenever you have the time. :)

Baby Girl 2.0 has arrived!
Facebook (external link) | Wilmington, NC Wedding and Portrait Photographers (external link) - The seriously outdated website.

sctbiggs
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 19, 2010 09:15 |  #7

images by Paul wrote in post #10020666 (external link)
In this case, I ALWAYS have an assistant take a shot of me giving the rings back to both the Bride and the groom.

lol...

I laugh cause i think it's silly. Now watch me get sued cause somebody loses their ring and says I lost it.

Baby Girl 2.0 has arrived!
Facebook (external link) | Wilmington, NC Wedding and Portrait Photographers (external link) - The seriously outdated website.

viet
Goldmember
1,019 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 19, 2010 09:21 |  #8

Before they put it on if possible, if not after when you get a chance.

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 19, 2010 12:37 |  #9

This came up not too long ago, and I think in that string as is so often the case, I stand alone. I'm an absolutely believer in doing them at the bride's dressing location. I know they're not usually there and I have to specifically request that they are, but it's absolutely the best place and time.

For one thing, I'm less harried during that time of day and it's nothing to find a few moments to do something nice with them. That environment also tends to be a little safer and more contained than the reception. I like to incorporate their wedding invitation into a few ring shots (for which I also must ask for in advance) and they don't want to drag that around with them all day. I also like to use natural window light if possible and many receptions either start too late or simply don't have convenient (if any) windows. Finally, I hate to ask the couple for their rings once they're wearing them.

I actually still do the hands over the flowers, only because my client still kinda expects it as a standard shot. But I do a couple of other things, too; none especially innovative, but at least a little fresher:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

IMAGE: http://photos.robertwaynephotography.com/img/v1/p924759011-4.jpg

IMAGE: http://photos.robertwaynephotography.com/img/v2/p805781885-4.jpg

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 19, 2010 23:05 |  #10

I always ask when the B&G are eating. I then take the rings over to the cake table and grab the bouquet if it's not already there, using both the cake and flowers as props (I set the rings inside the flowers, on the cake --if possible-- and other such stuff). When I bring them back their rings I always tell them I just went to eBay and sold them...always good for a close-up shot of them laughing at their dinner table.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 20, 2010 00:20 |  #11

I do quick shots before the wedding, but mostly I borrow the rings while they're dancing or sometimes during dinner. I use an off camera light in a soft box held by my assistant.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Pigsy
79 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 20, 2010 17:48 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #12

Yep,
Same here, during dinner is the best bet for all the reasons that ^^^ they all said

:)

https://photography-on-the.net …php?do=newreply​&p=3054829

booboo
333 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 22, 2010 22:59 |  #13

I always make sure to get it before the wedding to make sure I have it but when it slows down at the reception I find time if I can to borrow and take some quick snaps with them

Lyndon ­ Chen
191 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 23, 2010 12:43 |  #14

For me, I get shots of the rings on their own when I'm shooting the bride prepping, before the ceremony. Also I try to work some ring shots into the b/g formals while they're wearing them. Here are some ideas:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

http://www.shiningmome​ntphotography.com (external link)
5D2, 5D | 16-35L, 70-200 2.8L IS, Sigma 15 fish, 24L, 35L, 50 1.4, 50 2.5, 85 1.8, 135L | 2x580EX, 550EX, radiopoppers

Lyndon ­ Chen
191 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 23, 2010 12:44 |  #15

Another one:

HOSTED PHOTO

http://www.shiningmome​ntphotography.com (external link)
5D2, 5D | 16-35L, 70-200 2.8L IS, Sigma 15 fish, 24L, 35L, 50 1.4, 50 2.5, 85 1.8, 135L | 2x580EX, 550EX, radiopoppers

sponsored links

3,673 views & 0 likes for this thread
when do you get your ring shot?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.