Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 18 Apr 2010 (Sunday) 19:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom 3?

DigitalBoy
187 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 18, 2010 19:51 |  #1

When will the full version be released? Will it be compatible with CS3?

Thanks

sponsored links
Creepy ­ Crawler
193 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 18, 2010 20:07 |  #2

Post is already started here.
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10019171#po​st10019171

Jim S. Young
5DmkII 11-18mm, 50mm1.8, 24-105L, 70-200 2.8L
Sleepy Hollow Photography, (external link)
Facebook, (external link)model mayhem (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 18, 2010 20:11 |  #3

DigitalBoy wrote in post #10020086 (external link)
When will the full version be released?

It's in the second Beta version (which you can get for free and is good into June) -- CS5 is due out around the end of April/early June and LR3 is likely to be released right about the same time, but the exact day will not be known untill...the exact day

Will it be compatible with CS3?

It depends on what you mean by "compatible". The Raw processing done in LR3 is not transferrable to CS3 ACR in the direct sense, but you can use a tiff/psd or a DNG to open files in CS3.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

DANATTHEROCK
Goldmember
1,264 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 18, 2010 22:40 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #4

Searching some old threads over the last hour or so, I read June/July quite often as the expected release date of LR 3.

I am looking at buying LR 2 tonight if I can get some info on my thread I just started. Likely will upgrade to LR 3 later on if it is all it is cracked up to be. Better noise control and perhaps sharpening, easier to use as well. These are just some ramblings I read when folks were comparing the LR3 Beta to LR2.

Some folks smarter than me suggeted waiting 3-6 months after it is released before upgrading to give Adobe time to work the bugs out. Sounds like a great suggestion. Perhaps a $99 upgrade from LR2 to LR3 at the time sounds par for the course.

Just passing on what I read searching old post. I know jack. I use PSE 6.0:)

-Dan

Canon 5D Mark II & 50D with 17-40, 24-105, 100-400, 50 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8 macro, and 1.4TC

FEISOL CT-3442 (ARL) tripod w/ Photo Clam 40-NS ballhead:lol:

DigitalBoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 20, 2010 08:58 |  #5

tonylong wrote in post #10020206 (external link)
It's in the second Beta version (which you can get for free and is good into June) -- CS5 is due out around the end of April/early June and LR3 is likely to be released right about the same time, but the exact day will not be known untill...the exact day

Will it be compatible with CS3?

It depends on what you mean by "compatible". The Raw processing done in LR3 is not transferrable to CS3 ACR in the direct sense, but you can use a tiff/psd or a DNG to open files in CS3.

Would there be any advantage to using CS5 with LR3 as opposed to using CS3 & LR2?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 20, 2010 09:48 |  #6

DigitalBoy wrote in post #10029964 (external link)

Would there be any advantage to using CS5 with LR3 as opposed to using CS3 & LR2?

CS5 will share the same Raw processor as LR3, which means that Raw adjustments can be shared directly -- in other words Smart Objects will work seamlessly and you can also save adjustments made in Lightroom and open them in ACR with those adjustments in place and vice versa.

That is a nice benefit but it's up to you whether or not it's a need. You will still be able to do an Edit in Photoshop CS3 and have your LR3 image open in the Photoshop editor, and you also have limited use of the Smart Object function.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

DigitalBoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 24, 2010 10:23 |  #7

tonylong, I thought I read something about not being able to transfer pics from LR2 to LR3. Could you shed some light on the subject?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 24, 2010 10:38 |  #8

With the actual LR3 release, you should be able to have your LR2 catalog converted/transferred to LR3. The LR3 Beta is restricted in that sense, but I believe the LR3 release should install over LR2 and do the catalog conversion automatically. But, it will give you the choice as to whether to keep the edits you've made in the "LR2" format or convert them to the LR3 engine (there are differences, especially with things like sharpening and noise reduction).

I may be not fully "correct" in all that, so somebody who knows more than I do should feel free to step in and set things straight...

Tony

Victoria ­ Bampton
Goldmember
1,367 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 24, 2010 12:38 |  #9

Pretty close Tony!

The release won't overwrite your LR2 installation, but it will offer to upgrade your catalogs.

It'll keep your settings equivalent to 2.7 (there's a different demosaic between 2.6 and 2.7 affecting the noise reduction and sharpening slightly) and you can choose to update settings to the new 2010 Process Version as and when you're ready.

Victoria :D
Lightroom Queen website (external link)
Free & Comprehensive Lightroom Books (external link)
Free List of Lightroom Keyboard Shortcuts (external link)

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 24, 2010 23:34 |  #10

Apparently there was an article on Adobe in either Newsweek or US News(the person who told didn't remember) bit it said LR3 would come out in the fall to allow time for CS5 to get more sales and not be so much in competition with each other, he said the article gave a lot more history but that was the basis for the article, so that might cause the Beta to be around a bit longer if true.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

Victoria ­ Bampton
Goldmember
1,367 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 25, 2010 02:06 |  #11

The Lightroom page on Adobe Labs, where you download the software, says "The current Lightroom 3 public beta 2 will expire on June 30, 2010."

The LR3b2 splash screen says "This software will expire after Lightroom 3 is released."

You can make you own mind up whether that article was correct.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,450 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 25, 2010 04:18 |  #12

Victoria Bampton wrote in post #10057261 (external link)
Pretty close Tony!

The release won't overwrite your LR2 installation, but it will offer to upgrade your catalogs.

It'll keep your settings equivalent to 2.7 (there's a different demosaic between 2.6 and 2.7 affecting the noise reduction and sharpening slightly) and you can choose to update settings to the new 2010 Process Version as and when you're ready.

Victoria, the announcement accompanying ACR 5.7 says it incorporates the Process 2010 demosaicing algorithm, but a similar statement was not made regarding LR 2.7. Does your information indicate that 2.7 does indeed use the new demosaic?

Elie / אלי

Victoria ­ Bampton
Goldmember
1,367 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 25, 2010 07:02 |  #13

I'm going to have to write a blog post on this, aren't I!

There's a difference between the demosaic and the process version - entirely different concepts. The demosaic is the initial translation of the raw data which applies to all files regardless, and then there's the process versions which refer to the later processing algorithms which have changed (hence PV2003/2010).

LR 2.7, LR3 and ACR 5.7 all use the new demosaic which is a change from 2.6/5.6. That means photos show more detail than 2.6, but may also show more noise.

Then the differences...

ACR 5.7 understands PV2010 and also the new features (grain, etc) in PV2003, for full compatibility with LR3, but has no UI to change those settings.

LR 2.7 just has the new demosaic and doesn't understand process versions or the new LR3 features.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 25, 2010 07:47 |  #14

Victoria Bampton wrote in post #10060663 (external link)
The Lightroom page on Adobe Labs, where you download the software, says "The current Lightroom 3 public beta 2 will expire on June 30, 2010."

The LR3b2 splash screen says "This software will expire after Lightroom 3 is released."

Very interesting - and sneaky detective work there.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 25, 2010 12:51 |  #15

Victoria Bampton wrote in post #10061239 (external link)
I'm going to have to write a blog post on this, aren't I!

Yes, please ;)

but has no UI to change those settings.

Pity.

LR 2.7 just has the new demosaic and doesn't understand process versions or the new LR3 features.

Even bigger pity...

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

4,565 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom 3?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.