Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 25 Apr 2010 (Sunday) 22:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1952 Oscar Mayer Wienermobile

SkedAddled
Goldmember
1,919 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 25, 2010 22:39 |  #1

As shown on permanent display at the Henry Ford Museum (external link).

Funny story is that I was at a traffic light many years ago, and one of these
Wienermobiles went breezing through the intersection on the green light.
It was about the same vintage as this one, and appeared to be in nearly
the same great condition. Certainly not an expected sight at a busy intersection. :cool:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i936.photobucke​t.com …d/04-25-2010/IMG_6829.jpg (external link)

Craig5D MK IV|50D|S3iS|AF:Σ10-20|Canon 28-135 USM IS|MF:Tamron SP 28-80|Tamron SP 60-300|Soligor 75-260|Soligor 400|Soligor C/D 500|Zuiko 50 f/1.8|others
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 25, 2010 23:00 |  #2

Great... now I have that song stuck in my head.
Oh, I wish I was an Oscar Mayer wiener...

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

SkedAddled
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,919 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 25, 2010 23:27 |  #3

Old Coot wrote in post #10065451 (external link)
Great... now I have that song stuck in my head.
Oh, I wish I was an Oscar Mayer wiener...

...so everyone would be in love with me... :cool:

Seriously, who doesn't like the Wienermobile? ;)

Craig5D MK IV|50D|S3iS|AF:Σ10-20|Canon 28-135 USM IS|MF:Tamron SP 28-80|Tamron SP 60-300|Soligor 75-260|Soligor 400|Soligor C/D 500|Zuiko 50 f/1.8|others
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 26, 2010 00:47 |  #4

This is even better:

From the Journal Times:

Nick Krupp couldn’t help it; he was talking about the vehicle that smashed into the front of his house Friday, and he was chuckling.
The frontal assault at 1200 Kenilworth Ave. had been committed by a wrong-way Oscar Mayer Wienermobile.
“Am I supposed to be mad?” said Krupp, 23, who rents the house from his mother. “I can’t believe this.”
Like a 23-foot-long, curved battering ram, the fiberglass frankfurter had slammed into the house foundation, garage door and deck that overhangs the driveway.
The impact lifted and snapped joists supporting the deck, cracked the house foundation and pushed the garage door inward.
A 12-foot tire skid mark showed how fast the wienermobile — powered by a V-8, 350 Vortec engine, according to the company’s Web site — must have accelerated.
Surveying a piece of fiberglass left at the scene, Krupp asked, “That’s part of the bun, right?”
His neighbor, Zachary Nielsen, 11, was there just before noon to see the whole thing. “I thought they were selling (hot dogs),” the boy said. “I ran down here with money in my pocket.”
What he saw and heard afterward from the two female Oscar Mayer employees, as well as the company’s account, was that the young women were on their way to a scheduled wienermobile appearance. They accidentally found themselves on dead-end Kenilworth Avenue and pulled into the last driveway on the left to turn around.
One got out to help guide her companion. But the driver had the transmission in a forward gear — not reverse. The giant hot dog hurtled forward and slammed into the house. Nielsen said the impact “sounded like a gunshot.”
No one was home, and no one was injured. A tow truck had to remove the vehicle.
Krupp dialed 911 when he came home about 2 p.m. and saw the damage. But until he talked to an officer from the scene, he had no inkling what had caused the damage.
“He said, ‘Man, you’re not going to believe this even if I tell you,’” Krupp recalled.
A Kraft Foods/Oscar Mayer spokeswoman said, “We are working with the local authorities and the appropriate insurance companies to fix the damage and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause the homeowner.”
Krupp’s mother, Paula Righter, may be happy that a company of Kraft’s size may be there to pay the repair bills. Friday, she said, she was about to finalize a homeowners insurance policy with Geico.
When they learned that she needed to file a wienermobile-inflicted claim, she said they rejected her application.
Of course, it's caused a lot of inconvenience; but the homeowner is so lucky that a high profile vehicle like the Wienermobile did the damage. The home is uninsured.
In a way, this was Paula Righter's lucky day. Things didn't work out so well for 11-year-old Zachary Nielsen.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,053 views & 0 likes for this thread
1952 Oscar Mayer Wienermobile
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.