Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 26 Apr 2010 (Monday) 10:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Taking Family to Disney Land... New Toy?

kinghong1970
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 26, 2010 11:27 |  #16

advaitin wrote in post #10067959 (external link)
If there is sun (lately, that's not always been a given) then fill flash for strong shadows will be a help. Your 30mm will be more than adequate for fireworks if you are near them. There's a sticky in the forum on the best settings, I think. I usually shoot at two or three stops from wide open with a longer lens and set my shutter speed to capture the initial burst, others like a slower speed to get trailing streamers of light, but you need a tripod for that. Low ISO and manually focus at infinity should do the trick.

Your 1.4 tc will come in handy. They won't let you get very close to the animals and they are quite lethargic in daytime heat. Oh, yes, you will endure humidity. Dress light, use a sweatband and think about carrying lightweight plastic ponchos for cloudbursts (although if you wear them for long you'll be as soaked as if you didn't--but it does protect the camera).

The shots below were done handheld with a 5DM2, 85mm L f1.2 at f3.2 and 1/250s at ISO 800--all manual settings.

advaitin... nice pics!

thanks for the additional info... i was a bit concerned... i know it can be quite humid and hot in the summer...

as for shots of fireworks... i don't think i'll lug my tripod... but thanks tho...

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

sponsored links
alan_potter
wireless groping system
2,408 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2005

Apr 26, 2010 11:28 |  #17

I had a wonderful holiday in Disneyworld, Florida last year. For sure I would not go without the SLR; every time I go somewhere without the SLR, I regret it.

But here's a thought. Put the money into buying a waterproof point-and-shoot. There's lots of fun in the hotel swimming pools and the Disney water parks that you may want to document...

I posted a photo trip report here (external link); I don't claim it to be any work of genius but it may give you some idea of the kind of pictures that worked well for me.

regards,
/alan

PS If I was to go for another lens for the SLR for Disneyworld, I'd be thinking about the 11-20mm (something like that) Sigma...

Falkirk, Scotland.
Project 365 Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Apr 26, 2010 11:34 |  #18

davidfig wrote in post #10067991 (external link)
So where can we see the video?

You know, I didn't use that feature until I had the thing for a year. I'm just no videographer. Maybe I'll try that with the 7D this 4th of July.

kinghong1970 wrote in post #10068041 (external link)
advaitin... nice pics!

thanks for the additional info... i was a bit concerned... i know it can be quite humid and hot in the summer...

as for shots of fireworks... i don't think i'll lug my tripod... but thanks tho...

A tripod is what is usually recommended and low ISO, but I handheld at a medium high ISO. Either the 24-70 or 24-105 would do perfectly well at the 70-85 range using the same settings.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

ReconCadre
480 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 26, 2010 11:39 |  #19

based on my experience.. I used the 24-105L a lot in Disney parks EXCEPT Animal Kingdom, you will need the extra reach of the 70-200

[Perry de Venecia Photography ] (external link)

kinghong1970
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 26, 2010 11:40 |  #20

@alan_potter
wow... that is one HUGE trip log... and a TON of pics! hmm... waterproof cheap camera...

@advaitin
you're absolutely right... i'm sure there will be moments i'll miss a tripod... but i think i'll have to try to get along without it...

i think i'll have to go home and give my kit lens some more loving... see how i like taking wider shots...

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

CanonHowitzer
304 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 26, 2010 11:40 as a reply to  @ alan_potter's post |  #21

From my experience in several trips to Walt Disney World, most shots will be wide angle or normal. Here are some scenarios.

Close up-
Like the characters at a character meal when they are standing at your table.

Wide angle-
Many scenes outdoors in the parks and sometime indoors.

Normal-
Same as the wide angle.

Mild telephoto-
Shows in front of the castle.
When you need to zoom in a little, like when shooting a parade.

Long telephoto-
Usually on in Animal Kingdom on the Safari ride. Be aware, however, that the ride vehicle bounces a lot and focusing a long telephot lens is usually possible only when the vehicle stops briefly.

Fast lens, like a 1.8 or 1.4-
Night shots or indoor shots of moving subjects. The 'Festival of the Lion King' show is indoors in low light with moving performers- a real challenge.

External flash-
Not really all that useful except in certain indoor situations like restaurants. Flash is prohibited on many rides.

All in all- a good P&S is very practical at Walt Disney World.
For a DSLR keeping it light, by maybe using just a walk around zoom and a fast backup like an 85mm/1.8, might work. That equipment can get heavy as the day goes on.

Good luck.
:)

EOS 50D, 17-55/2.8, 85mm/1.8, 70-200mm/f4 IS

mathogre
Goldmember
3,624 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 26, 2010 11:44 as a reply to  @ alan_potter's post |  #22

We went last November. While I didn't actually post many photos from it (never made a thread, but should), I took the 18-55 and 55-250. The 18-55 I used most of the time, and it produced some excellent images. I took ~1,700 photos over the course of the week. I shot in RAW, downloaded to my MacBook, and backed those up to an external HD before any processing with Aperture later at night. Though I did a lot with the photography, I never let it get in the way of our primary goal, our family vacation. :D

I brought the 430EX but didn't use it very much; I used the pop-up for a few photos. I also brought the tripod which I used for photographing fireworks at Epcot from our hotel room. Frankly when we go again I'd prefer to have a faster lens, but my 18-55 would still be the workhorse.

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

kmtyb
261 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 26, 2010 11:45 as a reply to  @ post 10067991 |  #23

I took my family to disneyland few weeks ago (southern calf) and took two lens.

24-70 (used 90%)
16-35 (used 10%)

24-70 was the perfect lens and used 16-35 only a few times to give it a try.

Next time I will only take the 24-70 and one fast prime.

kinghong1970
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 26, 2010 11:48 |  #24

kmtyb wrote in post #10068151 (external link)
I took my family to disneyland few weeks ago (southern calf) and took two lens.

24-70 (used 90%)
16-35 (used 10%)

24-70 was the perfect lens and used 16-35 only a few times to give it a try.

Next time I will only take the 24-70 and one fast prime.

kmtyb, what body did you take?

an interesting point has been raised as to 24-70 being wide enough on my crop body... thoughts?

Albert the Clumsy Ape

jenwales
126 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 26, 2010 11:49 |  #25

We go to WDW every year and I'll be the first on this thread to admit that I don't like taking my DSLR with me. First, we're out in the parks for at least 12 hours a day and I like to minimize what I carry, but secondly and more importantly I want to experience my family experiencing the experience and I don't do that as well when I'm trying to get the perfect shot. :)

My Tokina 12-24 is typically the only one I'll take into the parks on the rare occasion when I have a few shots in mind. Otherwise, it's a P&S. We're going in July and I'm going to take only my G-11.

mathogre
Goldmember
3,624 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 26, 2010 12:07 as a reply to  @ jenwales's post |  #26

While I can appreciate folks not wishing to spend a lot of time doing photography on a family vacation, here's what came out of it for us. I produced a book of our trip. :D Below are links to a couple posts I made on a photo book thread that show an example of what can be done.

Fwiw, the Yacht Club in the first post and the Castle and fireworks photos in the second post were all done with the 18-55mm kit lens.

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=9510878&po​stcount=24

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=9510893&po​stcount=25

Graham

mrbigisbudgood
101 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 26, 2010 12:14 |  #27

Somewhat like was said before......

I used and only took my 50mm into the parks.....except at Animal Kingdom, then I used a Sigma 70-300 that I no longer own. Travel light if possible. I DID bring my 430EX to character dining to make sure I got good pics.

Oh oh oh...I mean...you absolutely need a 17-55 EFs f2.8 for Disney. It's practically the official lens of Disney for a cropper!!!!!!!!

50D - BG-E2N | XTi |Wigma | 50 f1.4 | 28-135IS | Bugma | 430EXII | Tripods, Bags, Cards, Motivation

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 26, 2010 12:20 |  #28

mathogre wrote in post #10068293 (external link)
While I can appreciate folks not wishing to spend a lot of time doing photography on a family vacation, here's what came out of it for us. I produced a book of our trip. :D Below are links to a couple posts I made on a photo book thread that show an example of what can be done.

We made a book, too. About 50/50 SLR and P&S shots. Looks great and honestly for most of the shots it did not make a difference that we had the SLR. For example, the castle shot you showed in one of your links could easily have been done with a compact - sunny day, low ISO, deep DOF. Fireworks, maybe not. It's just like anything else, compromises. If you bring the SLR you might miss a few moments because the bigger kit is more cumbersome and if you bring the compact you might miss some lower light or action shots. Either way you should be able to make a great album of memories if you have even a little skill.

Nice book, btw. Looks great.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

mathogre
Goldmember
3,624 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 26, 2010 12:25 |  #29

tkbslc wrote in post #10068350 (external link)
We made a book, too. About 50/50 SLR and P&S shots. Looks great and honestly for most of the shots it did not make a difference that we had the SLR. For example, the castle shot you showed in one of your links could easily have been done with a compact - sunny day, low ISO, deep DOF. Fireworks, maybe not. It's just like anything else, compromises. If you bring the SLR you might miss a few moments because the bigger kit is more cumbersome and if you bring the compact you might miss some lower light or action shots. Either way you should be able to make a great album of memories if you have even a little skill.

Nice book, btw. Looks great.

Thank you! Actually we also brought the little Sony, and our book has some photos from that too, as well as some photos from some friends whom we met in Florida (they have a P&S also). You're right that a good P&S can produce photos that are fine for a book.

Graham

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 26, 2010 13:09 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

I think all you need is the 24-105, and may be a tele - but your 70-200 is too heavy to carry at all times. A 1.4x TC would also help.
I wouldn't want to carry a flash as well. Just have fun!

Gear | My gear is changing faster than I can update the signature
VoyageEyewear (external link)

sponsored links

4,684 views & 0 likes for this thread
Taking Family to Disney Land... New Toy?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.