Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 24 Apr 2010 (Saturday) 23:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Zeikos grip making my top roller not work

Down_Shift
Goldmember
1,316 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 24, 2010 23:27 |  #1

So I recently picked up a Zeikos battery grip from a local potn member. It was working for for the first few days.

Then whenever I would pick up the camera, the top roller to select my aperture in AV mode stopped working. It does this in all the other modes too.

I pull the grip off, the camera works like normal again.

Anyone know what's up?

sponsored links
lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 25, 2010 01:31 |  #2

Down_Shift wrote in post #10060118 (external link)
So I recently picked up a Zeikos battery grip from a local potn member. It was working for for the first few days.

Then whenever I would pick up the camera, the top roller to select my aperture in AV mode stopped working. It does this in all the other modes too.

I pull the grip off, the camera works like normal again.

Anyone know what's up?

Sometime BG's have connection problems if you tighten them up too much, people are scared they fall of or something so they over tighten them.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

40dnewbie
93 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 26, 2010 14:44 |  #3

I am having the same problem with mine. I noticed the problem shortly after I got the grip but I only recently isolatedd the cause of the malfunction. The top dals fail to work when the on/off swtch on the grip is in the on position. Wen I switch it to off the dials operate properly. I have sent emails to Zeikos support, but after more than two week I have not gotten a reqponse. My grip is still under warranty. If I had only realize the nature of the at first, I could have returned it to the retailer.

1DMKIII, 5D mk III, 7D mk II, 70D, 50 1.8, 17-40 F4 L, 24-70 f2.8 L, 24-105L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS, 85 1.8, 100-400 4.5-5.6L, 600EX II-RT, (2)580EX II, (2)430EX
www.photosbywalker.com (external link)

asamimasa
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 26, 2010 16:10 |  #4

Used to have the same problem with my XSi. It usually only disabled the top roller, but would sometimes disable AF. Off an on again did the trick.

Gear List here

Down_Shift
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,316 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 11, 2010 09:37 |  #5

Just an update. Got a response from zeikos and want me exchange the item. I have an address to send the item. Plus 7.95 for return shipping.

I will send it out this week. When i recieve the item and confirm it's legit i will post the return/exchange address.

MrGreen
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 11, 2010 12:13 |  #6

The odd time that has happened to me with grips all I do to fix it is to spin the wheel ON the grip and then magically the camera wheel starts working again.

One or two times I've had to reboot the camera, but honestly this is a fairly infrequent happening and nothing serious for me at least.

My site: www.millionflame.com (external link)
Gear: 7D - Zeikos Grip, Rebel XTi/400D - Opteka Grip, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, EF 50mm f/1.8 (Nifty Fifty), EF-s 55-250mm (Nifty Two-Fifty), Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Σ 150-500mm (Bigmos), Σ 35mm f/1.4, Σ 85mm f/1.4, Feisol CT-3442 CF Tripod, Photo Clam PC-40NS Ball head, 580 EX II Flash

By-tor
Goldmember
3,956 posts
Gallery: 1218 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2009

May 11, 2010 14:04 as a reply to  @ MrGreen's post |  #7

I have been using my son's Zeikos grip on my 7d for a few days now and have noticed no problems at all.
About 1 hour ago I ordered mine from B&H and just now seen this thread. I sure hope it works as it should...

Fujifilm: X-Pro3, X100V, X-T10, 16mm f2.8, 23mm f2, 27mm 2.8, 35mm 1.4, 50mm f2, WCL-X100 II
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players performers and portrayers. RUSH!!

Down_Shift
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,316 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 05, 2010 21:47 |  #8

Just an update. Finally got my grip back. I had to email them again and once they got my email they 2 day shipped my grip. Mustve forgot bout me?

New grip is working for now.

dontcallmeash
480 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 05, 2010 22:34 |  #9

had this problem once with a 40d. took the grip off and put it back on.

hasn't happened again.

apparently it's not uncommon.

booja
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 05, 2010 23:21 |  #10

i had my zeikos grip do this twice on me... didnt think it was the grip but i guess it was. i got a canon one now and it hasnt done it at all

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 06, 2010 01:54 |  #11

OH my gosh... I had the same problem with my 5D2. I thought it was just a defective unit. Apparently it's common problem. Hell, it happened twice at the most inopportune time at a wedding. Immediately took it off afraid that it will affect internals of the camera. The next day I bought a genuine Canon grip and haven't missed a click.

Should have returned the Zeikos... that piece of chit is now a paper weight and painful reminder to do it right the first time.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

lkwan
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 06, 2010 10:29 |  #12

For those that have received a replacement grip, has that fixed the problem? Mine is doing the same and like mellow fellow said should have bought canon grip from the beginning!

Down_Shift
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,316 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 08, 2010 09:34 |  #13

I'll slap the grip on and use it on a regular basis and report back..
I normally don't even use a grip. Got this grip from a friend for cheap so I don't feel that bad for not using it lol.

sponsored links

2,513 views & 0 likes for this thread
Zeikos grip making my top roller not work
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.