Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 Apr 2010 (Friday) 16:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo Gear Insurance Advice

zilos
47 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 23, 2010 16:51 |  #1

I posted this on another thread but I got a wake up call after readig this thread...so I wanted to ask all of u what insurance agencies out there are recommended for us photographers? I dont own a home and my car insurance (AAA) im not sure will cover photo gear stolen...

The one site i found while browsing here for photo insurance was this one:
tcpinsurance (external link)

any others?

Thank u all!

Happy shootin!

zilosphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
zilos
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 23, 2010 16:52 |  #2

btw - this is also might come in handy...pacsafe bag (external link)

zilosphoto.com (external link)

B-ham ­ Gary
164 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 23, 2010 17:55 as a reply to  @ zilos's post |  #3

Plenty of advice and experiences shared on this topic. Here's one recent thread to get you started.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=850968

Insurance is a good idea, IMHO. I just purchased a policy this month and feel much better about toting my gear around. ;)

Cheers,

Gary

GaryReynoldsImages.com (external link)

Lens ­ Lenders
34 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 24, 2010 01:01 |  #4

zilos wrote in post #10053189 (external link)
I posted this on another thread but I got a wake up call after readig this thread...so I wanted to ask all of u what insurance agencies out there are recommended for us photographers? I dont own a home and my car insurance (AAA) im not sure will cover photo gear stolen...

The one site i found while browsing here for photo insurance was this one:
tcpinsurance (external link)

any others?

Thank u all!

Happy shootin!

Although you don't own a house, you should still have homeowner's insurance. It's essential for insuring your stuff and, more importantly, insuring yourself should you overflow your bathtub or set fire to your toaster and cause damage to apartments below or above you.

You're better to find a good, local insurance agent or broker who can talk to you about what insurance you need and find you the best package & price from the companies they represent.

Don't try to buy insurance on your own if your only experience is an auto policy.

I am the owner of Lens Lenders (external link) in Canada.

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 24, 2010 04:06 |  #5

Unless you have a company to write the exspense off to insurance is not worth it . If you have 5k worth of gear and it gets stolen the insurance company is going to do all itcan to get out of it

if it's stolen from your house it should be covered under your home owner insurance which is good enough for most

View My Flickr (external link)

B-ham ­ Gary
164 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 26, 2010 12:47 |  #6

LONDON808 wrote in post #10055711 (external link)
Unless you have a company to write the exspense off to insurance is not worth it . If you have 5k worth of gear and it gets stolen the insurance company is going to do all itcan to get out of it

if it's stolen from your house it should be covered under your home owner insurance which is good enough for most

Much disinformation here. :rolleyes:

OP, try contacting State Farm and inquire about a Personal Articles Policy.

Good luck!

Gary

GaryReynoldsImages.com (external link)

Duckhunter250
252 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 26, 2010 12:52 |  #7

B-ham Gary wrote in post #10068528 (external link)
Much disinformation here. :rolleyes:

OP, try contacting State Farm and inquire about a Personal Articles Policy.

Good luck!

Gary

$2000 worth of insurance, no deductible, $30 / year. just got it last week.

60D|EF-S 18-55IS|EF-S 55-250IS|EF-S 18-135IS stm|EF 85-1.8|Tamron 17-50 2.8 non VC |Tamron SP 70-300 Di VC USD | YN 465|Domke F-3x

sk82712
227 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 26, 2010 15:41 |  #8

I do the same through USAA...It's called like high dollar value item insurance or something. They have serial numbers and photos of all my gear. costs me like 10 a month and covers all damage, even dropping it and the desert.

A7R3
instagram.com/heller.p​hoto (external link)

kayl
412 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 28, 2010 20:35 |  #9

Yup-
get a PAP through State Farm! :)

Rocking the 6d2 and SL2 and (mostly) the 24-105 f4 L, 50mm f1.8 STM, and 135mm f2 L along with a few others.
All of my Gear
Buy/Sell Feedback

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 28, 2010 21:29 |  #10

LONDON808 wrote in post #10055711 (external link)

I'm struggling to simply read your statement, but yes if you own a home and have homeowner's insurance, it SHOULD cover your gear. The important word there is SHOULD. You need to read your policy carefully and/or contact your agent to clarify exactly what is and is not covered.

For example: I have State Farm Homeowner's, it covers my camera gear without any specified $$$ limit in my home or outside of it for theft. Of course there is a deductable, and if I am considered a working pro (by their definition making more than 50% of my income from my photo gear) it would not be covered except by a stand-alone additional coverage policy.
Your insurance may vary, once again checking carefully is the best advice.

Also, if you're a renter you cannot have homeowner's insurance, it's called renter's insurance, and once again you would be well advised to check into exactly what is and is not covered. Renters policies differ greatly from Homeowner's policies.

In any case, a complete list of your gear, including serial numbers, along with purchase dates, what was paid for it, and a rough approximation of its current replacement value is a necessity. I keep my equipment list in an Excel/Open Office spreadsheet on my laptop. I've also saved it as a PDF file and transfered it to my iPhone, so that it's with me at all times that my gear might be.

kayl
412 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 28, 2010 21:48 as a reply to  @ DennisW1's post |  #11

A homeowners or renter's policy may cover your gear, but there will be a deductible applied and your homeowners or renter's rates will go up as a result of the claim
Typically a claim on a PAP won't count against your homeowners...

Get a PAP - it's worth it!

Rocking the 6d2 and SL2 and (mostly) the 24-105 f4 L, 50mm f1.8 STM, and 135mm f2 L along with a few others.
All of my Gear
Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

2,283 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photo Gear Insurance Advice
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.