Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 Oct 2009 (Wednesday) 16:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recommend Me A Good Mag (UK)

Firetographer
75 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 20, 2010 09:32 |  #16

Having just visited the EOS Magazine web site, its a mess, I am presuming its undergoing an upgrade, unless its my browser. Hope their magazine is better.

Canon 7D : EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM : Speedlite 430EX II : EF 50mm F1.8 MKII : GorillaPod :

sponsored links
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 24, 2010 10:16 |  #17

brucea,

The repetitive content is a feature of every magazine I've ever seen, whatever the subject. As a sailing instructor I have long since given up buying sailing mags because every couple of years they start repeating themselves. For news, the internet or friends keep me up to speed.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Phil_mann
59 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 24, 2010 11:00 |  #18

Photoplus and Photo pro mags for me.

The one thing i don't like about photoplus is that half the mag is all about Post production.

1D MK IV, 5D MKII, G11, 70-200mm f2.8 MK II L, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 580 EXII
Drifted.com (external link)

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 26, 2010 05:50 |  #19

A while ago I subscribed to Practical Photography (the subscription offer included a Lowepro \mini Trekker which if bought separately was worth the same as the subscription itself) which was good for a while and also Digital Photo which was the sister mag of Practical Photography. They are both good but, as others have said, they get repetetive after about a year so I didn't renew the subs.

Amateur Photographer is quite good as that has a decent amount of news (although a good chunk of ads in the back). DSLR User is also quite good I have found.

I now only regularly read the Pro mags - Professional Photographer and Photo Pro as they are more geared to the kind of stuff that interests me.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 26, 2010 07:17 |  #20

I have started reading Outdoor Photographer as it not only deals with camera and lens issues but deals with almost everything someone shooting outdoors needs to think about ie daypacks (with enough room for camera/food/waterproof​s/maps etc), waterproofs, tripods, locations etc.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

benesotor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 26, 2010 19:20 |  #21

I just picked up a copy of DSLR Photography (UK) and was really impressed. Lots of info on technique as well as gear and inspiration and interviews, loads of pages and is no more expensive than the others.
That's what I think I'll stick with now.

Cosha
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 27, 2010 01:39 as a reply to  @ benesotor's post |  #22

Howdy Ben!

Great name BTW ;)

Im A total magazine Whore!

I Buy...

Digital Photo - www.photoanswers.co.uk (external link)
(Good read, Some Nice Tutorials With DVD every month)

Digital Camera
(Another Good read, Mixed Content No DVD)

Digital Photographer - www.dphotographer.co.u​k (external link)
(More of a middle to upperclass style, good if your better than a beginner)

Professional Photographer - www.professionalphotog​rapher.co.uk (external link)
(lots of articals i dont understand IIH, lots of talking)

Practical Photography - www.photoanswers.co.uk (external link)
(sister mag of Digital Photo mag, looks of projects to do)

Photoplus - Canon editions
(another good read, lots of information and project tips etc..)

Photographer Monthly - www.photographermonthl​y.com (external link)
(15+ pages of tutorials, mixed bag of goodies)

Amature Photographer - www.amaturephotographe​r.co.uk (external link)
(Sister mag of pro Photographer, good tutorials

Also...

Advanced photoshop

There is one mag im ALWAYS on the look out for, and i think its called 'SLR' or 'DSLR'

Its hardly ever in my shops here, i brought a copy in Bristol airport on the way to a hot country, i have found a few copys since but nothing consistent!

I, dont buy these all every month, i just pick and choose a few that had content i enjoy like portrates etc...im not really a landscaper!

Most Common i buy is, Digital Photo, Practacal Photography, and Advance photoshop!

I buy Digital photo alot, but always feel i want more out of it you know!

What sorta content you after? im sure one of these must have what your looking for :D

Hope this helps

Oh...Hello :)

Cosha
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 27, 2010 01:42 as a reply to  @ Cosha's post |  #23

Look here also...

http://www.magazine-group.co.uk …bbies-leisure/photography (external link)

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 27, 2010 01:56 |  #24

Lowner wrote in post #8913547 (external link)
As a natural cheapskate, I read Amateur Photographer each week in my local library, then if its got anything I want to read more thoroughly, or maybe want to study, then I buy a copy.

Like Suzy, my second choice is the EOS magazine.

Like all special interest magazines the world over, they start repeating themselves after a couple of years. Thats boring for us, but the magazine has a fresh audience by then.

Thought I was the only one who read that one over here :) But I've stopped subscribing to it as they do tend to concentrate only on the latest EOS gear, and previous models are quickly forgotten. Also, any of the shops, seminars, great places to shoot are all in the UK. I did like their article on Canon's repair facility over there, walk in drop the camera off and they call or text you on your cell when it's ready.

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 27, 2010 03:30 as a reply to  @ DennisW1's post |  #25

I subscribe to Photo Plus which is Canon content exclusively, Digital Photo, Digital Camera and Photoshop user. I like getting several different viewpoints on equipment so I can make a wise decision. A lot of this info is online but I have always been a magazine reading addict.

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 27, 2010 03:37 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

My fave at the moment is Digital Photo Plus (canon), though I think it is a bit lightweight for the price, and as one poster puts it on here, it is a bit repetitive and a bit annoying, maybe it is time I read another magazine myself

benesotor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 27, 2010 03:44 |  #27

Cosha wrote in post #10073426 (external link)
Howdy Ben!

There is one mag im ALWAYS on the look out for, and i think its called 'SLR' or 'DSLR'

Its hardly ever in my shops here, i brought a copy in Bristol airport on the way to a hot country, i have found a few copys since but nothing consistent!

I, dont buy these all every month, i just pick and choose a few that had content i enjoy like portrates etc...im not really a landscaper!

Most Common i buy is, Digital Photo, Practacal Photography, and Advance photoshop!

I buy Digital photo alot, but always feel i want more out of it you know!

What sorta content you after? im sure one of these must have what your looking for :D

Hope this helps

Thanks for all that info! I'll have a look out for those. Funnily enough I found DSLR Photography at Birmingham airport the other week just before flying out to do some filming in the desert! Seems a good way to find mags ;)

Content wise I'm after everything really, I love to see additions by pro photogs as well as readers, plenty of tutorials and I like to read up on gear reviews and tests and buying guides. DSLR Photography seems to have a good balance of all these things.

Cosha
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 27, 2010 04:01 as a reply to  @ benesotor's post |  #28

Totaly agree!

I read that mag back to front and front to back on holiday!

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 27, 2010 04:37 as a reply to  @ post 8929962 |  #29

If you can get it the Australian "Better Digital" magazine is tops...more reading, less ads, good quality stuff.
I also buy the odd Outdoor Photography.

Growing old disgracefully!

Hedley
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 27, 2010 05:08 |  #30

As an avid UK consumer of magazines (spend a lot of time travelling about), I've found that Photoplus is a little simple and tends to repeat a lot of the same stuff on a few month cycle. It's not a bad mag. just a fairly simple instructional read.
On the other hand Professional Photographer is one of the few mags that I read cover to cover. It has a few 'how-tos' like the others and is always interesting - I certainly don't think it is restricted to full -time pros... as I am not one, but it does give to tips on selling your stuff, and marketing yourself well etc.

sponsored links

2,947 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recommend Me A Good Mag (UK)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.