Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Mar 2010 (Tuesday) 18:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

USA vs imported lenses

HelenOster
That's me!
4,587 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 11, 2010 11:32 |  #16

Siriusmuzik wrote in post #9763161 (external link)
Hello,

I've been looking online and I see stores have an "imported" and "usa" model. The imported being cheaper by 8% or so. Is it safe to purchase the imported model?

Thanks in advance

"Grey market" refers to products imported directly into the US, rather than through the manufacturer's authorized agents / distributors. It is perfectly legal to directly import & sell these products in the US; the term "grey market" was coined by manufacturer's authorized distributors who wanted to discourage consumers from buying these (less costly) goods.

With no factory authorized middle-man involved in the import of these products, costs are lower, so the price is lower to our customers. Many items which are in short supply or not imported at all by the manufacturer's authorized distributors are available in direct import.

Any of our products which are being sold as such will be clearly marked, and you are more than welcome to contact me directly should you have any concerns regarding a specific listing.

There is no difference in the actual products. Occasionally manufacturers will name them differently for example the Olympus USA Digital Stylus Cameras are called Olympus MJU Cameras in Europe
On direct import products purchased from Adorama, we offer the same warranty as the USA warranted products carry for a period of one year. The only difference is that you would need to ship it to Adorama for warranty service.

For, I think, about the past 10 years, the policy of Canon USA has been to honor their warranty for any lens sold though an authorized Canon reseller, whether it has been imported by an authorized agent or is direct import.
All the customer requires is original receipt to verify the reseller and the date of sale – apparently they don't need the warranty card - and even if you do have the warranty card, you will still have to provide the receipt.
Equipment classified as USA, purchased from an authorized dealer in the United States, will be eligible for Canon warranty service (almost) anywhere in the world. "USA" equipment is specifically categorized for distribution and sale in the United States through the network of Canon dealers.
They will service any Canon item with a fee if it is otherwise not under warranty, (but Nikon USA will not service a direct import item at all, whether the customer is willing to pay or not).

I hope this helps.

If you have any further queries regarding any aspect of Adorama Camera, or AdoramaPix, please do not hesitate to contact me directly:

sponsored links
Illumined
"i love you guys"
2,641 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 20, 2010 16:39 |  #17

HelenOster wrote in post #9774904 (external link)
"Grey market" refers to products imported directly into the US, rather than through the manufacturer's authorized agents / distributors. It is perfectly legal to directly import & sell these products in the US; the term "grey market" was coined by manufacturer's authorized distributors who wanted to discourage consumers from buying these (less costly) goods.

With no factory authorized middle-man involved in the import of these products, costs are lower, so the price is lower to our customers. Many items which are in short supply or not imported at all by the manufacturer's authorized distributors are available in direct import.

Any of our products which are being sold as such will be clearly marked, and you are more than welcome to contact me directly should you have any concerns regarding a specific listing.

There is no difference in the actual products. Occasionally manufacturers will name them differently for example the Olympus USA Digital Stylus Cameras are called Olympus MJU Cameras in Europe
On direct import products purchased from Adorama, we offer the same warranty as the USA warranted products carry for a period of one year. The only difference is that you would need to ship it to Adorama for warranty service.

For, I think, about the past 10 years, the policy of Canon USA has been to honor their warranty for any lens sold though an authorized Canon reseller, whether it has been imported by an authorized agent or is direct import.
All the customer requires is original receipt to verify the reseller and the date of sale – apparently they don't need the warranty card - and even if you do have the warranty card, you will still have to provide the receipt.
Equipment classified as USA, purchased from an authorized dealer in the United States, will be eligible for Canon warranty service (almost) anywhere in the world. "USA" equipment is specifically categorized for distribution and sale in the United States through the network of Canon dealers.
They will service any Canon item with a fee if it is otherwise not under warranty, (but Nikon USA will not service a direct import item at all, whether the customer is willing to pay or not).

I hope this helps.

If you have any further queries regarding any aspect of Adorama Camera, or AdoramaPix, please do not hesitate to contact me directly:

Very informative post.

Ravi J.H. | Make an experience out of it - focus and expose manually.
Sony RX1 | Sony FDA-EVM1K (EVF) | Nikomat 11" cloth-locking cable release | Previous Gear

Siriusmuzik
THREAD ­ STARTER
318 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 29, 2010 03:04 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

Agreed, Thank you Helen

Canon 7D| Canon 24-105mm F4L | Canon 50mm F1.8 II | Canon 85mm F1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm | Tamron 28-75mm | Canon 580EX II

kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 08, 2010 23:36 |  #19

got a question...

i'm trying to take advantage of what seems to be a favorable exchange rate...
legitimate lenses (non-grey market) purchased from authorized dealer in Korea can be serviced by canon USA/worldwide?

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

Illumined
"i love you guys"
2,641 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 09, 2010 00:12 |  #20

kinghong1970 wrote in post #10147182 (external link)
got a question...

legitimate lenses (non-grey market) purchased from authorized dealer in Korea can be serviced by canon USA/worldwide?

First post on this page of the thread, monkey.

Ravi J.H. | Make an experience out of it - focus and expose manually.
Sony RX1 | Sony FDA-EVM1K (EVF) | Nikomat 11" cloth-locking cable release | Previous Gear

kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 09, 2010 10:33 as a reply to  @ Illumined's post |  #21

HahahA, i know of the USA and grey warranty in the products bought here...
I'm wondering of grey purchased overseas because sending it to the vendor in Korea is not an option since I will use the lens here...

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,777 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

May 09, 2010 11:32 |  #22

kinghong1970 wrote in post #10147182 (external link)
got a question...

Canon USA will service it as long as you have the original receipt. Can't speak for the other regional Canon subsidiaries. I've heard on forums that Canon UK won't service lenses even through authorized Canon channels in other countries, but I don't know that for a fact.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

sponsored links

3,798 views & 0 likes for this thread
USA vs imported lenses
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.