Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 19 Feb 2010 (Friday) 16:36
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Who will upgrade to the new Canon 24-70L II when it comes out?"
Upgrading from 24-70L.
17.3%
Upgrading from 24-105L.
9.9%
Upgrading from other similar lens.
8.9%
Wait until I see some reviews.
20.3%
Buy a used 24-70L when the price is right.
12.4%
No upgrade. I'm happy with what I got.
31.2%

202 voters, 202 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who will upgrading to the new Canon 24-70L II

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 26, 2010 04:19 |  #31

This lens must be Canon's worst kept sectret. We all know it's coming, but no one knows when.
Optics, there's probably a marginal increase in sharpness, CA control etc. A true 24mm would be nice though. My copy seems to come in around 25.5mm. I don't think there are many gains to be made optically.
Build, hopefully Canon will make this lens a bit less industrial. Sure the current version is practically bullet proof, but it's very heavy and bulky for what it does.
Other Stuff, An IS unit would be nice, but not essential, Nano coating is nice for flare control...not that the current version fares too badly. The current AF unit is very fast and accurate. I seem to be one of the few guys that likes the reverse lens extender, especially with the hood.
Price, we all know that a new version of this lens is going to be really expensive.

Regards, Gareth Cooper GMCPhotographics
"If youre happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then youÒ’re having a successful life" (Ben Elton)
Gear List GMCPhotographics (external link)

sponsored links
CanonGarcon
419 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 27, 2010 09:45 |  #32
bannedPermanent ban

GMCPhotographics wrote in post #10066367 (external link)
This lens must be Canon's worst kept sectret. We all know it's coming, but no one knows when.
Optics, there's probably a marginal increase in sharpness, CA control etc. A true 24mm would be nice though. My copy seems to come in around 25.5mm. I don't think there are many gains to be made optically.
Build, hopefully Canon will make this lens a bit less industrial. Sure the current version is practically bullet proof, but it's very heavy and bulky for what it does.
Other Stuff, An IS unit would be nice, but not essential, Nano coating is nice for flare control...not that the current version fares too badly. The current AF unit is very fast and accurate. I seem to be one of the few guys that likes the reverse lens extender, especially with the hood.
Price, we all know that a new version of this lens is going to be really expensive.

Canon is not going to be making a new L lens less "industrial". The L lens fans would really be screaming if the build quality was less than it's predessessor.

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Apr 28, 2010 00:40 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

CanonGarcon wrote in post #10074963 (external link)
Canon is not going to be making a new L lens less "industrial". The L lens fans would really be screaming if the build quality was less than it's predessessor.

I think you misunderstand.

The 100L (macro) is less "industrial" than others, but it is just as strong. The dude meant the look/weight rather than quality of construction... that's how I read it anyway.

CanonGarcon
419 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 28, 2010 07:53 |  #34
bannedPermanent ban

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #10080199 (external link)
I think you misunderstand.

The 100L (macro) is less "industrial" than others, but it is just as strong. The dude meant the look/weight rather than quality of construction... that's how I read it anyway.

The 100L macro was a new L lens replacing a regular EF 100mm macro lens. A new 24-70mm L 2.8 would be replacing a prior L lens. Canon is not going to make less "industrial" than it's predecessor.

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Apr 28, 2010 21:08 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

CanonGarcon wrote in post #10081330 (external link)
The 100L macro was a new L lens replacing a regular EF 100mm macro lens. A new 24-70mm L 2.8 would be replacing a prior L lens. Canon is not going to make less "industrial" than it's predecessor.

You've missed the point... the 100L is different from other Canon L lenses. I wasn't comparing it to the other 100mm macro (it's not a replacement BTW).

What the dude meant was to make the new one slightly more modern in design and feel. Not weaker, but more efficiently engineered. Therefore less "industrial". The current 24-70 seems a little over engineered in many ways. You're right in the fact they won't make it "weaker" but they can make it more "modern". :)

I own 16-35, 24-105, 70-200 2.8 IS II and the 100L. Just FYI.

Oh and I also use to own the non-L 100mm macro and the 17-55 2.8 IS, so I'm well aware of the build difference and I'm sure the new 24-70 won't be weaker than the current one. ;)

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Apr 28, 2010 22:12 |  #36

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #10085798 (external link)
The current 24-70 seems a little over engineered in many ways. You're right in the fact they won't make it "weaker" but they can make it more "modern". :)

Don't forget, these things are made to get banged around a bit. The 24-70 sees some rough duty from time to time.

I personally don't think over-engineering is a problem - it's under-engineering that is an issue. I'd rather have a lens that is a little heavy and too tough than one that is perhaps not tough enough for the situation.

Interestingly, the new 100/2.8L Macro does have a very different feel to it. Perhaps some new polycarbonate/engineer​ed plastic is used.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 28, 2010 23:25 |  #37
bannedPermanent ban

Tom W wrote in post #10086196 (external link)
Don't forget, these things are made to get banged around a bit. The 24-70 sees some rough duty from time to time.

I personally don't think over-engineering is a problem - it's under-engineering that is an issue. I'd rather have a lens that is a little heavy and too tough than one that is perhaps not tough enough for the situation.

Interestingly, the new 100/2.8L Macro does have a very different feel to it. Perhaps some new polycarbonate/engineer​ed plastic is used.

Well yeah, you want it tough right. But I'm thinking they can keep the toughness but make it more effective. It's like a bridge built 200 years ago (totally solid but 1000000 bricks are needed to make it) vs a modern steel suspension bridge. Better engineering = lighter, sleeker AND strong.

Just a fantasy maybe... ;)

krepta
I swear I'm Ken Rockwell!
8,482 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 29, 2010 01:19 as a reply to  @ Stealthy Ninja's post |  #38

I love the feel of my 100L macro. I'm not sure if it is truly as robust as the more traditional build of the other L's, but it sure does feel solid for some engineering plastic, much more so than any non-L lens. I wouldn't mind this construction on a new 24-70 IS/II. I'm all for tough and strong yet as lightweight as possible.

Alex | flickr (external link) | Gear & Feedback | Food! (external link)

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 29, 2010 01:22 |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

krepta wrote in post #10087044 (external link)
I love the feel of my 100L macro. I'm not sure if it is truly as robust as the more traditional build of the other L's, but it sure does feel solid for some engineering plastic, much more so than any non-L lens. I wouldn't mind this construction on a new 24-70 IS/II. I'm all for tough and strong yet as lightweight as possible.

I suspect the 100L is some super space-age plastic over some super awesome metal stuff.

Hedley
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 29, 2010 03:30 |  #40

headphones wrote in post #10053142 (external link)
Maybe I'm asking a stupid question, but wouldn't releasing an IS version of this lens cannibalize the sales of the 24-105? Sure you might say the price is higher, but I'd be hard pressed to find many advantages of the 24-105 over a new improved 24-70, and from the general sentiment it seems quite a few are ready to switch. Do you think Canon is essentially not going to "care" about that line anymore (whatever that means)?

This is kind of what I thought, though the f/2.8 vs f/4 situation may warrant people wanting both...?

CanonGarcon
419 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 29, 2010 08:45 |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

Hedley wrote in post #10087317 (external link)
This is kind of what I thought, though the f/2.8 vs f/4 situation may warrant people wanting both...?

Not many people are going to get both lenses. It will be one or the other. You must think money grows on trees.

The 24-105 will have it's place as a kit lens for Canon's upper level DSLRs and for people who want the lighter weight and longer focal length.

Hedley
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 29, 2010 09:13 |  #42

CanonGarcon wrote in post #10088332 (external link)
Not many people are going to get both lenses. It will be one or the other. You must think money grows on trees.

lol, if only it did... though in my defence I know 2 canon shooters who currently have both, and use them for different occasions.

sponsored links

9,876 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who will upgrading to the new Canon 24-70L II
FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.