Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 27 Apr 2010 (Tuesday) 20:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bloggers stealing photos

Rachel ­ B
I normally pay attention
1,139 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 28, 2010 17:11 |  #16

Kinda funny how CAHeidelberger felt the need to come on here and make those corrections. guess he likes the interwebs drama

40d, 30d, Canon 17-40L, 70-200 2.8 ISL, 60mm 2.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4, 18-55 Kit, 430exII 2xYN-460 II Flashes

sponsored links
DDCSD
THREAD ­ STARTER
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 28, 2010 22:56 |  #17

For those that may wonder why I pulled all copies of the photo off of the internet. This is simply good practice and a fairly common procedure when you believe someone has infringed upon your copyright. You don't want a bunch of copies of your photograph floating around to muddle up any potential litigation.

My argument here would be a lot easier to make if everyone here could see the photo. Many photographers understand things like DOF and telephoto compression. If there are four people in the frame and only two of them are in focus, the other two people aren't that close to them when you are shooting at 200mm f/2.8 and your subjects are ~70 feet away (the shot was fairly heavily cropped). The perspective compression at 200mm on a 1.3 crop camera can make things appear to be much closer than they actually are.

A few people have PM'd me to ask my why I won't just state my case on the blogger's website. I have a few reasons for this.

The first is that I don't see any point in posting a comment underneath a blog post on page 3 of his website. No one will even notice it and nothing will be accomplished.

The blogger has also shown a penchant for taking words out of context and using selective quoting to put words into people's mouth.

Through my research, I have read of a few accounts of the blogger not posting responses from people that don't agree with him if he can't win the argument. I don't want to get caught in a situation where I make a post, he responds with a ridiculous comment and I am not allowed to make my own counter-point.

The bottom line is that I'm not responsible for making sure that the blogger tells the truth on his website. That burden falls on him. I just wanted to warn other photographers about the potential risks of photographing politicians.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 28, 2010 23:43 |  #18

One extreme blogger stealing from an extreme site in the other direction and then taking it to a new extreme trying to muster up extreme feelings no matter how false they are like extremists do. Moral of the story is too much extreme in one place just isn't good!

I have 4 or 5 google alerts, have had them for awhile now and found many morons doing it, great service but get the weekly updates as the daily will drive you nuts!

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

deadpass
Goldmember
3,353 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 29, 2010 00:17 |  #19

DDCSD wrote in post #10079074 (external link)
I'm not going to bother with contacting blogger about it. He removed the photo, so there really isn't anything else that would require their involvement.

Do you still believe that? This guy is harassing you.

a camera
http://www.deadpass.co​m (external link)

DDCSD
THREAD ­ STARTER
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 29, 2010 07:39 |  #20

deadpass wrote in post #10086859 (external link)
Do you still believe that? This guy is harassing you.

I doubt that there is anything that the blogger website would (or should) do. They are not resposible for what this guy does, nor can they be expected to be.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Jeff ­ Colburn
200 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 29, 2010 14:50 |  #21

I heard a report the other day saying that about 80% of photographs appearing on the internet are there without the photographers permission. It's the dark side of the net.

Have Fun,
Jeff

If you're interested in photography, stock images of Arizona and Fine Art Prints of Arizona, visit www.JeffColburn.com (external link)

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 29, 2010 16:22 |  #22

What is this? Where is all the good karma?

That guy should really be ashamed of himself.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

DDCSD
THREAD ­ STARTER
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 29, 2010 19:15 |  #23

Another interesting twist in the story. I just noticed that the blogger is a dedicated follower of my personal twitter account. 1 out of 5 "followers". Two of my followers are organizations that I follow, one is an organization that must have found me through one of those other organizations, one seems to be a completely random person and there is our favorite photo-stealing blogger.

I will admit that I'm not sure when he started following me on twitter (I delete all twitter emails as soon as I get them and usually don't even bother to read them), but I've only had this personal account since April 5th of this year...

I'm not sure whether to be flattered to have such a dedicated fan that follows me all over the internet or if I should just be creeped out.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

dmccabe
205 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 29, 2010 19:42 as a reply to  @ DDCSD's post |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

wow... that guy is creepy and just asking for a lawsuit.

But the lesson learned for us photographers here... ANY photos that you think might be of value or future value — don't post them on a public website. It is TOO EASY for people to STEAL them.

Just resist from posting them! Make galleries that are private... request invitations to see those images from customers who are serious about purchasing.

Canon 5D MK II | Canon 16-35 II [COLOR=red]L [COLOR=black]| Canon 70-200 [COLOR=red]L IS | [COLOR=#000000]Canon 50mm f1.2 L | Canon 580 EX II

wyofizz
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 29, 2010 19:44 as a reply to  @ DDCSD's post |  #25

Talk about a Troll :mad:

Dave - Fuzzy Hashing makes me itch.

DDCSD
THREAD ­ STARTER
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 29, 2010 19:51 |  #26

dmccabe wrote in post #10092209 (external link)
wow... that guy is creepy and just asking for a lawsuit.

But the lesson learned for us photographers here... ANY photos that you think might be of value or future value — don't post them on a public website. It is TOO EASY for people to STEAL them.

Just resist from posting them! Make galleries that are private... request invitations to see those images from customers who are serious about purchasing.

Yeah, it is a very slippery slope. You want (and need) to get your work seen, but then you have to balance that with it being seen and used in ways/places that you don't want it to because someone steals it and makes up stories to put with it.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

sparkin
Cream of the Crop
6,490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 29, 2010 19:54 |  #27

DDCSD wrote in post #10082193 (external link)
Now the blogger has linked to this thread, along with a blatant misrepresentation of one of my statements posted here.

http://madvilletimes.b​logspot.com …on-howie-brings-t-rv.html (external link)

The thing that concerns me the most about all of this is that his website states that he is employed by Dakoa State University as a research assistant. I believe that to be a faculty-level position, although I am not familiar with the details of his employment beyond what he states on his website.

Derek: I doubt whether "research assistant" is anywhere near a Faculty-level position. It may not even amount to "graduate student", as we have undergrads who are classified as "research assistant".

DDCSD
THREAD ­ STARTER
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 29, 2010 20:04 |  #28

sparkin wrote in post #10092252 (external link)
Derek: I doubt whether "research assistant" is anywhere near a Faculty-level position. It may not even amount to "graduate student", as we have undergrads who are classified as "research assistant".

I have since been told that he is classified as an "instructor" and verified that with the university's online faculty directory.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 29, 2010 21:23 |  #29

Hey Derek, sorry that this hassle has been occupying your time!

Now, a serious question: where does the line fall concerning fair/editorial use and use that is out of bounds? For instance, every day we see on Cable News and Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, etc, clips from another news network or some other show, photos lifted from the newspaper/net, etc, etc. How does this compare with a blogger lifting a screen shot from a Web page? Do you consider it illegal, or merely inethical, especially since there was some nefarious "interpretations" going on that didn't match the facts?

In other words, did you have legal grounds in that this use violated the limits to fair/editorial use, whereas Jon Stewart playing a lifted clip from MSNBC or Fox for comic effect would not?

I'm curious, both to know how one would interpret the difference, and as to whether blogs are by nature some kind of "gray area" that hasn't been legally defined, or what?!

Curious to hear your thoughts!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 29, 2010 21:29 |  #30

Tony,

I'm not a lawyer, but I think the difference is that the blogger was not actually commenting on the image itself (which would be fair use), but using the image to push a separate agenda.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

8,314 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bloggers stealing photos
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.