Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Apr 2010 (Monday) 04:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d users, who had to send yours 7d to Canon to fix erratic focus problems...

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Apr 19, 2010 18:11 |  #16

Ken Nielsen wrote in post #10026317 (external link)
A shameful thread, again. OP, please read the volumnous post by those who 'swear' and also swear that the problems they are having are with the camera. You question should more appropriately be: How many users need to be sent back to the factory to learn how to use the 7D?

Stay tuned.

Why is this a shameful thread?

There are dozens of members that have had defective units--problems that just went away after they were replaced.--or repaired.

Posters also "swore" it was user error--but in the end they were proven wrong.

Please reference the tango thread https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=8474​86&page=31 as an example--2 bad ones and an intervention by CPS to get acceptable results

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

sponsored links
coyote20000
33 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 29, 2010 14:51 |  #17

Maybe K.N. can't figure it out but here it is in caveman.

I buy two cameras (7D's). (New)
One good.
One bad.

Canon 7D/EF14mmL /EF28-135mm /EF70-300mm /EX580II
Canon F

bzollinger
Goldmember
1,257 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 29, 2010 16:06 |  #18

Mine was sent back for erratic focusing issues, they said it was in spec. I'll be field testing it this weekend, the some more focus test next week to determine if anything changed at the factory.

5DMKIII | EOS M | 14mm f/2.8 Rokinon | 15mm f/2.8 fisheye | 16-35mm f/4 L | 24-105mm L | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 100mm Macro f/2.8 L IS | 580ex II | Benro C2980F Veratile legs w/ Manfrotto 468MGRC2 Head | www.alaskanphotographs​.com (external link)

vinnie6756
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 29, 2010 16:49 |  #19

Mine will be going back right after classes...May 22nd!!! I'm having all kind of focusing issues...especially with my 300 f/2.8L IS. In AI Servo, center focused on subject, one out of my burst is in focus. It appears that during the panning action, I begin to pick up the background even though there is nothing behind the subject. This happened a couple of times during a baseball practice and also during a couple of my BIF's. Haven't been able to figure it out, but it might as well be looked at before soccer season begins.

Canon ­ 5D ­ Mark ­ II
179 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 29, 2010 16:57 |  #20

looks like the first batch of 7D have problems

Feedbacks - Feedbacks - Feedbacks - Don't sell here often, usually on ebay and craigslist.

dave ­ kadolph
6,138 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 29, 2010 17:25 |  #21

Canon 5D Mark II wrote in post #10091244 (external link)

1d3--same issue
40D-error 99
50D--high ISO banding
5D2--black dots
1D4-low light focus

See a pattern with recent new releases?

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

doofuss
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 29, 2010 17:48 as a reply to  @ dave kadolph's post |  #22

I have only had my 7d for a few weeks and am now also starting to suspect that I may have AF problems as nearly all images are soft and not tack sharp. I was planning to arrange to send it back for warranty when I discovered that the camera body does not a serial number on it!..Here is a link to a thread on this very issue. https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=865315

Once I get the serial number issue sorted out I think I will be sorting out the AF issue. Simple resolve to both would be for Canon to simply give me a new replacement camera immediately.

Canon 1dx & 7d gripped, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L, Sigma 120-300 f2.8 (sports), Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, Canon EFS 17-55mm f2.8, , Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5 - 5.6, Sigma 2 x teleconverter, Canon 600EX-RT Speedlight.

laychengjin
76 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 30, 2010 05:18 |  #23

I had sent mine back and they replaced one of the part PCB ASS'Y,DC/DC and the Focus works fine now!!!! so happy :D

by the way. i sent the body and lens together for them to calibrate and fix the 7D

Flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,216 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 30, 2010 06:37 |  #24

Canon 5D Mark II wrote in post #10091244 (external link)

Really? Mine was purchased week 1 of the initial release. No issues... as with many others.

dave kadolph wrote in post #10091435 (external link)
1d3--same issue
40D-error 99
50D--high ISO banding
5D2--black dots
1D4-low light focus

See a pattern with recent new releases?

No pattern, each one of these have completely different issues, and some have yet to be confirmed to be a widespread issue. For example, there are first release 7Ds with no issues, high ISO banding has been an "issue" on every single xxD body, if you push the ISO, it will show banding. The 1D4 isn't an issue yet, some people are making observations, others are refuting them.

Many people live by the mantra of not buying the first round of any new device, others don't care and live with any gremlins that come out once thousands of people get their hands on them. This is nothing new for just about anything for least the few decades I have been around. Test groups cannot test for every conceivable combination of shooting condition, there is no way to emulate the public. You just release what you have, otherwise nothing will get released, or the competition will release before you.

The proverbial glass always seems half empty to you doesn't it? :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 30, 2010 06:44 |  #25

My AF is spot on and was never sent to Canon. I always drool over the sharpness I get from mine!

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

dave ­ kadolph
6,138 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 05, 2010 18:39 |  #26

TeamSpeed wrote in post #10094571 (external link)
No pattern, each one of these have completely different issues, and some have yet to be confirmed to be a widespread issue.
Many people live by the mantra of not buying the first round of any new device, others don't care and live with any gremlins that come out once thousands of people get their hands on them. This is nothing new for just about anything for least the few decades I have been around. Test groups cannot test for every conceivable combination of shooting condition, there is no way to emulate the public. You just release what you have, otherwise nothing will get released, or the competition will release before you.

The proverbial glass always seems half empty to you doesn't it? :)

I waited a few days to reply--and as a skilled tradesman working on multimillion dollar equipment my outlook may be slightly different than most.

When an action or error produces scrap or downtime in a real world environment the acceptance level is absolutely zero--

Setup, preproduction, and beta testing are the areas for working out the bugs--when you release a product for sale it darn well better be perfect.

Tools of the trade

Canis_Majoris
63 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 05, 2010 19:15 |  #27

dave kadolph wrote in post #10128693 (external link)
I waited a few days to reply--and as a skilled tradesman working on multimillion dollar equipment my outlook may be slightly different than most.

When an action or error produces scrap or downtime in a real world environment the acceptance level is absolutely zero--

Setup, preproduction, and beta testing are the areas for working out the bugs--when you release a product for sale it darn well better be perfect.

It should be but often isn't. There are plenty of examples of products being released with faults, even after extensive testing, look at the Xbox 360 for example, or the PS3, or Sony batteries, or certain laptops running the Nvidia 7800/8400 chip (even the mightly Apple suffered at the hands of this one). There are hundreds of examples. Some even more serious like the recent Toyota debacle.

This stuff happens. It shouldn't, but it does. I work in tech and see it all the time. Just the other week McAfee released a definition update that destroyed thousands of XP SP3 machines. Unfortunately it seems to be a sign of the times for a lot of companies.

thw
155 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 05, 2010 19:31 |  #28

Mine was there for 1.5 months and I made 5 trips there. Didn't work out.

Eventually, I was given a new copy and everything was fine.

thw.smugmug.com

PixxByTango
166 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 05, 2010 19:43 as a reply to  @ Canis_Majoris's post |  #29

I still crack up at people who still have the egos to stand up here and claim user error for the issues at hand with the 7D. Oh Yes... it must be "User Error" cause the user turned on the camera. Simply... if the autofocus works in the manner it was designed to and is properly configured, it will take Hypodermic needle sharp images EVERY TIME!

If its off like my two previous ones were... its bad and you know it.

Anyone who comments about User Error... just hit the IGNORE button.

Here is my lovely 7D doing what it does best!

Taken with my 7D and the EF 300mm 2.8L

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Same Corner... 1DmkIV with the same lens. Should I have spent the extra $$$?

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Finally... the bridge between Racers and Photographers!
Check us out at:
http://www.raceshotsre​source.com (external link)

Just call me Alice...
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=-FucbvoFFy0 (external link)

AJSJones
Goldmember
2,647 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2001

May 05, 2010 19:48 |  #30

dave kadolph wrote in post #10128693 (external link)

My guess is that part of the cost of a "multimillion dollar" piece of equipment is in just such testing and bug removal. If Canon's cameras were selling for tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars, we might be entitled to expect perfection and FedEx next day turnaround on gratis repairs. However, for cameras which barely reach into the thousands of dollars, it is not realistic to expect perfection. We hear about the failures but have no way of gauging (least of all from forums like this) how large a % these represent (how many don't have problems), and how many are actually camera faults vs. excessive expectations from users or,gulp, user error or NRTFM :D

My picture galleries (external link)

sponsored links

6,954 views & 0 likes for this thread
7d users, who had to send yours 7d to Canon to fix erratic focus problems...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.