Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Apr 2010 (Friday) 18:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Time SLR owner!

r34p3rex
192 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 30, 2010 18:13 |  #1

Hey guys, I just placed an order for my first SLR ever :D Picked up a T2i with kit lens for roughly $810 after bing cashback and ebay bucks. Anyways, a few people recommended that I pick up a 50mm f/1.8 lens. Would you guys recommend I buy the lens new? Or is used fine?

Also any idea how big RAW files are at 18mp? I'm going to pick up an SD card soon. Any particular SD card recommendations? Looking forward to my stay here!

Gripped 5DII | 24-105 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L | Sigma 180mm f/3.5 Macro | 430EX II
AB800 | YN-602RF | Vagabond Mini
My Feedback (on other sites): Overclock.net (external link) | Pbnation (external link)

sponsored links
Viva-photography
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 30, 2010 18:17 |  #2

You will only save about...$30 by buying used.
You might as well buy new and get a warranty.

Its a fun lens. Awesome for low light.

Raw files will be around....hm. 16mb?
depends on your ISO, etc. It can really vary.

Sd card recomendations:
get a nice one. Dont buy one over 8GB. If your card messes up, you just lost 16gb(or 32GB) of data. Versus only 8GB.
I would recommend Sandisk. Very nice, fast cards.

mAlfus
24 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 30, 2010 18:22 |  #3

Congradulations! Everyone seems to be enjoying that camera. And like r34p3rex said, it will depend on the iso. Accoring to thedigitalpicture.com it ranges from mid 20's to up to 34mb at it's highest iso. Take a look for yourself.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com …al-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx (external link)

and the Sandisk extreme cards have never let me down! The fifty is also the best budget
prime I can think of. For just under $100, you can't go wrong!

HuePhoto
89 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 30, 2010 18:23 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

The raw file will be around 25-30MB.

Go to tigerdirect.com and use bing cash back to get the 50mm F1.8 for cheaper.

Some people can't handle the truth

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 30, 2010 18:25 |  #5

Congratz on the camera, it is a good one!

I find my 7D raws tend to be 20MB-28MB in size.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

r34p3rex
THREAD ­ STARTER
192 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 30, 2010 18:28 |  #6

Interesting, looks like I will be lugging around my laptop with me at the Shanghai World Expo so I don't think storage will be an issue :D

My Feedback (on other sites): Overclock.net (external link) | Pbnation (external link)

Viva-photography
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 30, 2010 18:48 |  #7

20MB-28MB

Yep. THey're right. I asked my friend with a 7D. They tend to be that size. T2i uses the same sensor, so I assume they're the same size images.

mAlfus
24 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 30, 2010 20:12 as a reply to  @ Viva-photography's post |  #8

According to thedigitalpicture.com chart, the t2i raw files are bigger than the 7d's. Not sure how accurate that is...wonder why. =\

r34p3rex
THREAD ­ STARTER
192 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 30, 2010 21:52 |  #9

Would the Sandisk Ultra II's be fast enough or should I get an Extreme III? I'm thinking of picking up 2x 8GB's

Viva-photography
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 30, 2010 22:11 |  #10

Just remember that if you ever upgrade, it'll be best to upgrade to CF (compact flash) and you probably wont use your SD card anymore.

The ultra II is plenty fast for a T2i.
If you ever upgrade to, say, a 7D...THEN is when you chip some bucks for a nice nice super fast card.

r34p3rex
THREAD ­ STARTER
192 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 30, 2010 22:17 |  #11

Sweet, yea I'm thinking about sticking with the T2i for a while, and if I decide to spend anymore on, I'll probably hop to the 7D

Viva-photography
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 30, 2010 22:21 |  #12

For first getting into SLRs, I'd pick up an 8GB and maybe an extra battery. I have an 8GB and a 4GBhighspeed SD. I ALWAYS run out of battery before I run out of space on my 8GB card. I get about 6 Gigs on there.

Another fun option is a battery grip, but you may not want that untill you learn to shoot without one.

r34p3rex
THREAD ­ STARTER
192 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 30, 2010 22:33 |  #13

Yea, I'm thinking of just getting a plain extra battery, don't think I"m ready for a grip yet :D

stickshift
533 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 30, 2010 22:38 |  #14

Viva-photography wrote in post #10098281 (external link)
Yep. THey're right. I asked my friend with a 7D. They tend to be that size. T2i uses the same sensor, so I assume they're the same size images.

Different sensor actually, just 18 MP.

7D, 5D mark II
17-40, 24-70 II, 70-200 f/4 IS, Zeiss 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 400/5.6

Delija
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 30, 2010 23:10 |  #15

r34p3rex wrote in post #10099097 (external link)
Would the Sandisk Ultra II's be fast enough or should I get an Extreme III? I'm thinking of picking up 2x 8GB's

Don't know about the SD cards from Sandisk, but the new Ultra II and the Extreme III CF cards are both the same speed. I think the Exteme III has been dropped.
(at least from the CF line..). I also don't know that a faster card does anything for a T2i...it's buffer speed, not card speed that seems to make a difference in how fast and for how long a high speed shooting burst will last.

I agree completely with the "less is more" concept regarding storage. 2x 8GB cards cost less than one 16GB and makes more sense. 4x4GB would be even less money and be more convenient as far as keeping track of where files are.

I have read the rationale about why a 32GB card is great so HD video can be shot for a continuous hour (or whatever). I was in the motion picture business a lot longer than most here have been alive. But my word isn't needed...watch any movie and see how often a scene is continuous for more than 6 or 7 seconds. It happens, but it's the exception.

The only good use for an hour of continuous video is to get guests who have over-stayed their welcome to leave by boring them to death by showing any home video that goes on for more than two minutes. ;););) (which happens to be how long an 8mm spool would run in total....and two minutes is an eternity when watching home movies/videos of another family's kids or worse...an "art film" by someone who thinks that an hour cut can be interesting..torture!!​!!
:D

Peace,
D.

Wow, what a nice picture! You must have a really great camera!

sponsored links

3,306 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Time SLR owner!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.