Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 01 May 2010 (Saturday) 01:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens???

canon510
93 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 01, 2010 01:26 |  #1

Ok so I have my FIRST wedding in August and I am having a hard time finding a lens to use. I currently have the 18-55 Tamron but I think I should try the 18-200mm lens. 50% will be outside and the rest inside for this.

Can you please help me out??

Thanks!!!

Canon Rebel XT
Tamron 17-55 Lens

sponsored links
dwarfcow
640 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 01, 2010 01:32 |  #2

50mm 1.8
85mm 1.8
and a 28 2.8

keepin it cheap for ya.

"Evidently the photo shop at the college I go to is one of the best in the country. They actually have a handful of digital medium format cameras for students to use; Haliburtons, or hasslehoffs, or something like that."
-name withheld to protect dignity.
Toys

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 01, 2010 02:12 |  #3

The right answer: If all you have is a rebel XT and a kit lens, you shouldn't be doing a PAID wedding.

The slightly more helpful answer: 50 f/1.8 would be a good choice. Good image quality for how in expensive it is. If you only use one lens, the 18-200 isn't a bad choice, despite it distorting badly at the wide end and being quite slow at the telephoto end.

Twitter (external link)
Hobart Wedding Photography (external link)
I have some camera stuff. Here it is.

dwarfcow
640 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 01, 2010 02:13 |  #4

PMCphotography wrote in post #10100074 (external link)
The right answer: If all you have is a rebel XT and a kit lens, you shouldn't be doing a PAID wedding.

I was avoiding that answer but a true statement (i don't like the snob crowds that think you need to be taking pictures for 35 years before doing a wedding)

"Evidently the photo shop at the college I go to is one of the best in the country. They actually have a handful of digital medium format cameras for students to use; Haliburtons, or hasslehoffs, or something like that."
Toys

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 01, 2010 02:21 |  #5

dwarfcow wrote in post #10100077 (external link)
I was avoiding that answer but a true statement (i don't like the snob crowds that think you need to be taking pictures for 35 years before doing a wedding)

Well, it's true gear isn't everything. I also get that everyone has to start somewhere.

But thinking that you can somehow get away with using an f/5.6 lens at a reception, even using flash, is a recipe for disaster.

I also get that some couples have zero budget for photography, but one slow lens and no backup body (at least that he's mentioned) suggests he's totally unprepared.

Twitter (external link)

dwarfcow
640 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 01, 2010 02:27 |  #6

PMCphotography wrote in post #10100092 (external link)
Well, it's true gear isn't everything. I also get that everyone has to start somewhere.

i wouldn't mind if he was using an XT, but i agree that the slow zooms should be left at home. an 18-55 is a body cap as far as I'm concerned. but, you could pull off a decent wedding with two xt bodies, with a 50mm 1.8 permanently on one, and perhaps a fisheye and 85 1.8 or 100 f2 just on the other just fine. Would take experience of knowing what to shoot, and how the ceremonies play out to know where to be. the reception is a good time to just try things out, but you don't have time to learn as you go during the actual ceremony.

OP: get 3 lenses you want, i recommend primes, 50, 85, and one other lens of your choice, and get a spare body (it can be another xt if you want) but if you've never shot a wedding, GO TO THE REHEARSAL don't over promise on what you will be delivering to your clients, always under promise and over deliver. adjust your shooting to the lighting situation, mind your iso, exposure, and composition and you should live through it.

Toys

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 01, 2010 02:35 |  #7

I (Mostly) agree. I've done a ceremony & reception with an 400d (which I think is the non-USA equivalent of the XT) several months ago when my 40d (my main camera) had technical issues. It certainly can be done.

I was referring to the XT+kit lens combo that's the problem.

Twitter (external link)

snakeman55
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 01, 2010 04:48 as a reply to  @ PMCphotography's post |  #8

I'm not familiar with the 18-55 Tamron. Is it 3.5-5.6 like a kit lens?

If it is, I'd get the Tamron 17-50 2.8 for $450ish. I know it's a similar focal range, but 2.8 throughout can handle a wedding. 5.6 would be prohibitive.

I've heard decent things about the 18-200. It's obviously not L glass but people with reasonable expectations seem to like it. I have the 18-135 IS and really like it, but it's really only useful in good light or with flash.

The 18-200 is quite heavy I'm told, and that would really suck on a light body like an XT.

Using all primes, like mentioned above, could work. Lots of people like that route, but I personally like at least one zoom in those situations.

I'd get the 18-135 over the 18-200 personally. It's a lot lighter (and a little cheaper), and at 200 at 5.6 it's not gonna be super useful at the reception. The 18-135 would be cool for the ceremony if it's outside, and with flash for the reception. I'd also want a fast prime for the reception, even if it's a 50mm 1.8.

Like they said, definitely get a 2nd body. Borrow someone's old Rebel if you have to.

-Adam
Wedding Photographers in Maryland (external link)
Gear

bfinta
857 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 01, 2010 05:10 |  #9

in his sig it shows that he has a tamron 17-55 which as fas as i know doesnt exist, so I assume he has the tamron 17-50.
PMCphotography, a 400D is an XTi

perhaps if you find the lens combo that you want for the wedding to be too expensive perhaps you can rent it for the day... anyways, good luck with the wedding canon510

EmmaRose
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 01, 2010 05:47 |  #10

If its only one gig I would just rent stuff. Make sure you have two bodies if its paid

Gear. Flickr. (external link)

canon510
THREAD ­ STARTER
93 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 01, 2010 08:30 as a reply to  @ EmmaRose's post |  #11

Thanks for all the replies everyone

Yes I have a 17-50mm Tamron right now, they do make them. Its a 2.8 stop. Paid about $500 for it. Takes great pics and is pretty fast...I would NEVER go with something higher like a 5.0 or up.

The only reason I wanted to go with the 18-200mm was because it was suggested everywhere I was reading BUT I PERSONALLY like the 50mm or 85mm WAY better as it is a great glass as well as super fast...which is what I really need for a wedding.

I think in the end I will pick up the 50mm and either borrow a camera or switch lenses with the 17-50mm for different shots througout the wedding.

ALSO which external flash should I be picking up?

Thanks again everyone...I want to make this decision within the next month

Thank you

Canon Rebel XT
Tamron 17-55 Lens

marivil
327 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 01, 2010 08:40 |  #12

I know of a very successful lady photographer who does weddings with minimal equipment. She uses XSI with the 50 f1.4 , tamron 17-50 lens and 28-135 (?) I think. I have to admit I was a little shocked and asked her why she didn't have something more like a 17-55 EFS and a good prime. She said when one of her lens wears out then she would. I would be too worried not having an extra body lens. I am not positive what she has or uses but she did say that was what she normally uses.

-Gene-
Always looking forward to my next shoot.
Gear- Canon Bodies- 5D Mark II , 50D both gripped -- Lens - 300L F.28 IS, 70-200L F2.8 IS II, 24-105L IS and a 35L F1.4. , WHAT'S NEXT
?
2x & 1.4 Extender - 580 EX II

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 01, 2010 09:28 |  #13

Make sure you rent extra gear and know how to use it. Spend every waking moment preparing, and good luck

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 01, 2010 18:07 |  #14

Wedding FAQ covers most of the things you need to know, including backups and having decent equipment.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

1,171 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens???
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.