Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 01 May 2010 (Saturday) 08:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Going to a Wedding today

this thread is locked
marivil
327 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 01, 2010 08:29 |  #1

I will be attending my niece's wedding today. Can anyone give me some tips on what shots to sure to get and best locations to go for?
This should be a great learning experience.

thanks,
Gene

-Gene-
Always looking forward to my next shoot.
Gear- Canon Bodies- 5D Mark II , 50D both gripped -- Lens - 300L F.28 IS, 70-200L F2.8 IS II, 24-105L IS and a 35L F1.4. , WHAT'S NEXT
?
2x & 1.4 Extender - 580 EX II

sponsored links
Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 01, 2010 09:22 |  #2

Where ever you are not in the way of the pro. Introduce yourself before hand and make sure throughout the day you aren't in his way or his shots

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

marivil
THREAD ­ STARTER
327 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 01, 2010 09:54 |  #3

Thanks for the reply..will do. I think the Pro is another relative. I don't know too much about him. I am anxious to try out the HD video a bit and I am guessing maybe the 24-105L might be the best lens I have for that. I will probably do mostly no flash shots so I can shoot where ever I like. I have some zooms and with the 5D Mark II I can crank the ISO up. I thought about taking my lights and setting up for couples portraits.

-Gene-
Gear- Canon Bodies- 5D Mark II , 50D both gripped -- Lens - 300L F.28 IS, 70-200L F2.8 IS II, 24-105L IS and a 35L F1.4. , WHAT'S NEXT
?

Mhappy
356 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 01, 2010 10:42 |  #4

marivil wrote in post #10101204 (external link)
Thanks for the reply..will do. I think the Pro is another relative. I don't know too much about him. I am anxious to try out the HD video a bit and I am guessing maybe the 24-105L might be the best lens I have for that. I will probably do mostly no flash shots so I can shoot where ever I like. I have some zooms and with the 5D Mark II I can crank the ISO up. I thought about taking my lights and setting up for couples portraits.

It sounds like you're trying to compete against the person they hired as their professional.

Why would you even think about bringing lights and set up something for couples shots. >:-(

Respect the pro (even if it is just a relative) and the couples choice.
Do not do anything other than snap pictures like any other guest (If it is permitted of course). Otherwise it looks like your trying to sabotage the pro and make him look like an idiot.

THIS IS NOT YOUR TIME TO COLLECT SOME LEARNING EXPERIENCE - not with the stuff you're planning on bringing. Bringing lights to set up... come on. vmad
That is WAY overstepping the boundaries. Sounds like you want put the person they hired to shame and in the end, get your name circulated.

Everyone should be able to tell who the pro (or hired photographer) is- don't confuse this by trying to look like you're their hired pro too.

NOT cool... sorry to be blunt - but how would YOU like it if you were hired to cover a wedding and someone came along with pro-grade gear and set up their lights to get couples shots??
I bet you'd (secretly) want to fold up their umbrellas and shove it up their @$$.

That's just so disrespectful, it's not even funny.

50D / XT (backup) / 17-85mm / 24-70mm f/2.8 L / 50mm f/1.8 / 2- 430 EX Speedlite and a Fonger (I know most photogs hate it, but I like it!) / Everything else I use... I rent! ;-)a

marivil
THREAD ­ STARTER
327 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 01, 2010 11:16 |  #5

Sorry but I don't think it is out of line. The bride and groom told me they would be glad for me to take images of the wedding . With my limited experience I had no desire to be the primary shooter. Why would a "Pro" think I was competing? Insecurity? As I said the "Pro" is a relative who has some gear but does not make his living doing weddings ( similar to myself). This will be my gift to the bride including any prints and albums she may ask for. As for taking lights if I did I would set up in some other room and offer the portraits. Most likely I will just have them with me in case the bride and groom ask. One photographer can't be everywhere at once.
It is ALL IN THE FAMILY.... so no I don't think it is disrespectful. Everyone has the same goals. Weddings are new to me so yes it is a learning experience. Of course I will talk to the other photographer as how to not interfere. I have been asked to other family weddings/ events and have never had the problems or issues you are talking about. Use common sense Mhappy...

-Gene-
?

RT ­ McAllister
973 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 01, 2010 11:22 |  #6

marivil wrote in post #10101204 (external link)
I thought about taking my lights and setting up for couples portraits.

You can't be serious. Why don't you ask the pro to carry your gear while you're at it?

You guests with $2000 DSLR's crack me up. Really, I'm just curious... why do you think you are entitled to invade this wedding for your own self gratification?

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 01, 2010 12:56 |  #7

I hope it's not the same wedding I'm going to today. I wouldn't appreciate that, and im sure the primary wouldn't either.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 01, 2010 13:24 |  #8

marivil wrote in post #10101595 (external link)
This will be my gift to the bride including any prints and albums she may ask for.

Nice!! Cut into the sales of the person who did take on the job as the official photographer. Since you didn't want to do it, buy them a gift like all the rest of the guests.

.... so no I don't think it is disrespectful.

Well, you are wrong. It is not only disrespectful, but extremely arrogant of you to argue that it's not. If you had any since of professionalism you would already know that.

If you still arrogantly decide to show up at this wedding with your gear and lights and do anything besides take some random, candid photos, I personally hope your lens draws moisture, your flash head melts and your shutter fails. Call it photographer karma.

Name: Kevin
Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.com (external link) and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List
More money than skill - but I'm working on it

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 01, 2010 18:04 |  #9

The so called "pros" here are out of line. The only thing you needed to say was be discreet, and don't take photos of the same thing as the pro because people look at the wrong camera. Instead you've chosen to have a go at someone going to family wedding, being offensive bordering on abusive. Take a step back, and maybe take a break for the forums if you think this is acceptable behavior. RT and Big K, I wouldn't be surprised if you get a tap on the shoulder from the mod team.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 01, 2010 18:32 |  #10

Sorry if my post was a bit harsh but just had this exact same situation happen recently and it struck a nerve.

Some friend of the family showed up and decided he was going to use the event as his personal practice session, setting up his mini-studio out in the hall and totally disrupting the entire event because people were never where they were supposed to be. The other guests took it out on us because things were behind schedule. The bride did nothing to help remedy the situation and the other photographer took the same indifferent position as the OP.

Taking a camera and taking your own photos is one thing. Hauling in lighting gear and offering to take additional formal photos with the intention of giving them away without first talking to the photographer responsible for the event is just not right, family wedding or not.

I get frustrated by people who think since they own a camera they are entitled to take whatever photos they want whenever they want with no regard for anyone else who is supposed to be responsible for doing the same thing.

Name: Kevin
Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.com (external link) and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List
More money than skill - but I'm working on it

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

May 01, 2010 18:49 |  #11

Sorry but I don't think it is out of line. The bride and groom told me they would be glad for me to take images of the wedding . With my limited experience I had no desire to be the primary shooter. Why would a "Pro" think I was competing? Insecurity? .

Sorry, Marivil, I know you don't MEAN to step on anyone's toes, but if the guy is being paid anything but a flat rate, most photographers would consider it bad ettiquette for you to be taking pictures that you will give to the bride as your gift to her. If it cuts into HIS sales, it is bad form period. That the bride WANTS you to do it is irrelevant. Lots of brides hope that their friends get good shots so they can get prints from them for free, rather than buying them from the pro. That is typical, and they don't see anything wrong with that. Personally, I think it is tacky, although you are probably a good person who just sees yourself as trying to do a nice thing for your niece. However, you posted this in a forum full of pros who have to feed their families from the sale of wedding shots, and see the relatives with the DLSR's who make it difficult for them to do that. You have to expect that there might be a backlash...

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

RT ­ McAllister
973 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 01, 2010 18:59 |  #12

tim wrote in post #10103318 (external link)
The so called "pros" here are out of line. The only thing you needed to say was be discreet, and don't take photos of the same thing as the pro because people look at the wrong camera.

Discreet? Who the hell goes to a wedding as a guest and brings light stands to do portraits?

You can chastise me and anyone else but remember... you do this having more facts about the OP's situation than I ever did when I replied to him. My reply was posted just moments after his "clarifications".

Regardless, he could have avoided all these responses had he not been so lazy to begin with. And I really don't know how to "fluff" this statement up to sound any sweeter.

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 01, 2010 19:31 |  #13

I have to agree with the "pros" Tim talked about a few posts ago.

Seriously? It's your nieces wedding. What you plan on doing is not just taking some nice pictures.

After all, you must be able to take a better picture than him, and produce a better album than he can do.

Maybe the pro would want to second shoot for you after you get your practice session in on your niece's special day.

Twitter (external link)
Hobart Wedding Photography (external link)
I have some camera stuff. Here it is.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

May 01, 2010 20:16 |  #14

I hope everyone posting in this thread knows that respect is very important.

Every family is different. If the OP's family is okay with many people shooting, who are we to say no? But I think we pros are very skeptical that things work out well when there are too many want-to-be's in the room. Respect the primary, but if it's okay to do other stuff, I don't see the harm. What most of us don't like is to be asked to shoot a wedding, even if it is a relative's and find out there are 3 other people shooting the same event who have pro gear. Too many is not always better than just one good pro.

Let's keep the opinions friendly, please.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

marivil
THREAD ­ STARTER
327 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 01, 2010 21:00 as a reply to  @ PMCphotography's post |  #15

Wow...you "Pros"... don''t seem to act too professional to me! I have never had a problem with any other photographer 99.9 % are even helpful. I merely stated I was thinking about bringing lights. I also stated I would be using zoom lens and no flash. I never said I was going to bring lights into the "Pros Wedding". I was thinking of shooting relatives as they had traveled a long distance and I wouldn't get another chance. Maybe the Pros own my relatives too?
Now why would a Pro object to a family member taking images? Every single wedding I have went to at 5 people are taking pictures of the same thing. I have shot beside sports, fashion and wedding photographers and have not ever had such blatant "It's my wedding,event or sport attitude!" Seeing that I started this thread I will explain what happened as I am back from the wedding.
Alright I arrived at the wedding and talked to my brother in law, sister and bride. Next I went to the Pro Photographer. I told him I wanted to take some images. He said not with a CANON! Then complimented me on my rig as I did his NIKON and off camera flash mount with a stand. After we got done laughing he thanked me for even asking. He told by asking he knew that I understood what not to do. I asked, "Where can could I shoot?" He said as far as he knew anywhere I liked. " I told him I would shoot from the side with NO FLASH. Again he said he was told flash was OK. I didn't flash but everyone else did. ( So I am a bad guy right) . I took HD Video of the entire wedding vows. (They would not have got this if I didn't do it.) I also got some different angles. I had a few people/relatives approach me for family photos and such I did those outside the church. Look this is MY FAMILY and MY FAMILY EVENT... just because I have good gear doesn't mean I should not use it.
I also discussed photography with quite a few of the wedding guests. Comparing gear and lens.
You can ban me or black list me but.... if I hire a Pro to photograph any event. I am not granting him total rights to prevent others from taking images. Why would a Pro care or worry? If he does his job he will get his images. I have heard stories that wedding photograpghers are a different breed of Pro. Just as any Pro would never put down someone else work. If someone would stand in front of him as he was setting up a shot or flash while he is shooting... THAT WOULD BE A BIG PROBLEM.

The original post.... WHERE WOULD BE A GOOD LOCATION TO SHOOT AND WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD IMAGE TO GET? Sounds simple and fair enough question to me.... I guess I must not be a Pro?
I guess what I was expecting was.... shoot to the side discreetly. Which I did. Try to get shots of unique perspective like the cake ,flowers and decorations. Which I did.
Why would I even ask... ?????

-Gene-
?

sponsored links

2,556 views & 0 likes for this thread
Going to a Wedding today
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.