Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 01 May 2010 (Saturday) 22:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First time High school Lacrosse

nickanzo
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 01, 2010 22:26 |  #1

These were taken at my brothers high school lacrosse game. These photos, in particular, were taken with a 70-200mm f/4 is lens and a Canon 7D.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/4564262935_8a7cce6c7f_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3155/4564262825_97753a1709_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3367/4564262641_2b945c49c5_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3155/4564262285_5d2d77415e_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3552/4564893398_b919e9074e_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3408/4564259209_0593f0b9aa_b.jpg

I'm new to the whole dslr thing and want to make sure I'm doin it right, so C&C appreciated.

sponsored links
DHMN
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 02, 2010 02:05 |  #2

The second photo you just barely missed, with the player in white in focus.. and #3 (your brother I assume) just barely off. The last one is probably a good one for family etc, but it seems with so much extra space on the left and the goalkeeper out of focus it would be better with a different angle to eliminate so much of that space? On the ones that you can without losing too much, be sure to straighten the horizon.

I've never seen a lacrosse match since it's not a high school sport up here, but the pictures are far better than my first D-SLR shots were. Like the first one best, and better than the third one which seems to be the next sequence of shots because the goalkeeper's big back end is the center of the shot.

EOS 7D Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (1.4 extender outdoors) are the workhorses. 50D for backup, EF 70-300MM USM f/4-5.6 IS, Freelance photographer for local newspapers and my website viewthroughmylens.net (external link)

sk82712
227 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2006

May 02, 2010 08:17 |  #3

Not bad for just getting into it!

For sports, I always shoot center point focus, which sometimes helps, and sometimes makes me miss a shot or two. Whatev.

As far as composition, photographers will steal each other's compostions like crazy. Look around for good ideas on this forum and flickr, make a mental note of what you like, then go out and shoot it!

If your anything like i was when i first picked up a DSLR, it's frustrating as hell. But keep with it, and don't stop shooting! Everything else will come eventually. I highly recommend using Adobe Lightroom for your workflow (you'll fall in love with the "punch" preset) with Jeffrey's Lightroom Exporter for getting them on flickr easily.

-Adam

A7R3
instagram.com/heller.p​hoto (external link)

nickanzo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 02, 2010 13:23 |  #4

DHMN wrote in post #10105238 (external link)
The second photo you just barely missed, with the player in white in focus.. and #3 (your brother I assume) just barely off. The last one is probably a good one for family etc, but it seems with so much extra space on the left and the goalkeeper out of focus it would be better with a different angle to eliminate so much of that space? On the ones that you can without losing too much, be sure to straighten the horizon.

I've never seen a lacrosse match since it's not a high school sport up here, but the pictures are far better than my first D-SLR shots were. Like the first one best, and better than the third one which seems to be the next sequence of shots because the goalkeeper's big back end is the center of the shot.

Thanks for the input, ill be sure to get a different angle so i can also get the goalie close in the frame. I was using my 7D's 19 point AI servo where the focusing points jump around which might explain why some of the shots are just a little bit out of focus. I will try using the expanded middle focus point and see how things go.

CJM ­ Photography
726 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 02, 2010 13:36 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

nickanzo wrote in post #10107289 (external link)
Thanks for the input, ill be sure to get a different angle so i can also get the goalie close in the frame. I was using my 7D's 19 point AI servo where the focusing points jump around which might explain why some of the shots are just a little bit out of focus. I will try using the expanded middle focus point and see how things go.

Another thing you could do is make the aperture smaller so more is in focus. What was your shutter speed?

Canon T1i- gripped - 70-200 F4L IS - 430exII - Lowepro Fastpack 350
Flick (external link)r

nickanzo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 02, 2010 13:42 |  #6

CJM Photography wrote in post #10107342 (external link)
Another thing you could do is make the aperture smaller so more is in focus. What was your shutter speed?

Anywhere from 1/600 to 1/1250. I usually try to keep it above 1/800 otherwise the nets on the lacrosse stick tend to blur.

Also, the size of the aperture when i took these photos was f/4.

CJM ­ Photography
726 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 02, 2010 13:48 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

nickanzo wrote in post #10107372 (external link)
Anywhere from 1/600 to 1/1250. I usually try to keep it above 1/800 otherwise the nets on the lacrosse stick tend to blur.

Also, the size of the aperture when i took these photos was f/4.

I guessed is was F4, try shooting at F8, more will be in focus. also what was your ISO? and what body are you using?

Flick (external link)r

nickanzo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 02, 2010 14:19 |  #8

CJM Photography wrote in post #10107399 (external link)
I guessed is was F4, try shooting at F8, more will be in focus. also what was your ISO? and what body are you using?

I was shooting at iso 100, I guess I can bump that up to get to f8. I am using a canon 7d, so noise should be minimal at higher isos.

CJM ­ Photography
726 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 02, 2010 14:23 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

nickanzo wrote in post #10107537 (external link)
I was shooting at iso 100, I guess I can bump that up to get to f8. I am using a canon 7d, so noise should be minimal at higher isos.

I would totally crank up the ISO, the 7D is really good with higher ISO's and then you can use a smaller aperture AND a high shutter speed, just dont over do it.

Flick (external link)r

nickanzo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 02, 2010 14:40 |  #10

CJM Photography wrote in post #10107556 (external link)
I would totally crank up the ISO, the 7D is really good with higher ISO's and then you can use a smaller aperture AND a high shutter speed, just dont over do it.

Thanks for the advice, I will post more photos after their next game to see the improvement.

On a side note, i was looking at your flickr and you have the same computer case and keyboard i had with my old computer, i recently built a new one.

CJM ­ Photography
726 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 02, 2010 14:43 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

nickanzo wrote in post #10107649 (external link)
Thanks for the advice, I will post more photos after their next game to see the improvement.

On a side note, i was looking at your flickr and you have the same computer case and keyboard i had with my old computer, i recently built a new one.

Sweet
I love the case, a tad bit small, but in my next build I am planning on the corsair 800d (it will most likely be a 1000D then) and I want the logitech g19 keyboard but it is a little much for a keyboard and most of my money goes into photography stuff...

Don't get me wrong, I love these pictures but if the other players were in focus as well it would make for more interesting shots.

Flick (external link)r

nickanzo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 02, 2010 15:12 |  #12

CJM Photography wrote in post #10107664 (external link)
Sweet
I love the case, a tad bit small, but in my next build I am planning on the corsair 800d (it will most likely be a 1000D then) and I want the logitech g19 keyboard but it is a little much for a keyboard and most of my money goes into photography stuff...

Don't get me wrong, I love these pictures but if the other players were in focus as well it would make for more interesting shots.

When i was building my new computer i was looking at the 800d (mainly for the amazing cable management system), i was going to so a water-cooling system in that case, but my budget didn't allow for it.
I am using a g19 right now and it is a really nice keyboard, i use this program called everest which allows me to create an application that goes on the LCD screen on the keyboard. It reports the temperature of all my cores and GPU, in addition to cpu, gpu and memory usage.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 03, 2010 07:44 |  #13

Straighten your horizons when you crop.

2nd to last shot is a very good capture.

Enjoy!

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

scsurfdad
315 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 03, 2010 09:39 as a reply to  @ S.Horton's post |  #14

What I've found to work best for me is choosing point with expansion just above the center. You can also set it so that if you go portrait it will change to a high center spot just by turning the camera...and then back when you change to landscape. With the 7D I also shoot full RAW so I can crop, recompose and straighten horizons til the cows come home and not worry about image quality for prints. I'm usually at f2.8-f4 and high speed (1/1600) and like to keep it there to make the players stand out a bit. ISO wherever it needs to be.

Enjoy!

Mike
Sony A7R III

sponsored links

1,914 views & 0 likes for this thread
First time High school Lacrosse
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.