Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 May 2010 (Saturday) 05:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tilt shift (TS-E) lens advice

fatclay
426 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 01, 2010 05:59 |  #1

hi All,

I am currently looking at purchasing a tilt shift lens to be used for a combination of architecture and real estate photography. The main 2 lenses that I am looking at are the TS-E 17mm f4 & TS-E 24mm f3.5 II.

I am currently using a 7D body.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated as per which lens would be the better of the 2 to choose?

Regards,
Clayton F

Canon 7D, 50D & 20D, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Canon 17-40 f4, Canon 24-70 f2.8, Canon 70-200 IS f2.8

sponsored links
Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
9,642 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2008

May 01, 2010 07:10 |  #2

On a 7D body I'd buy the 17mm version. I have the TS-E 24mm f/3.5 II and I love it on my FF camera, but always seem to wish it was wider when it's on my 7D.

Tim

windpig
Chopped liver
15,029 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

May 01, 2010 07:40 |  #3

How much do you shoot your real estate at 17mm or less now?

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Jerobean
785 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 01, 2010 07:46 |  #4

17 has that scary front element, can't use filters on it if that matters.

bunyarra
429 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2006

May 01, 2010 07:52 as a reply to  @ Jerobean's post |  #5

It also works a treat with the 1.4 TC (I use the Kenko one). Any drop in quality is so marginal as to be irrelevant in the real world.

80% of my architecture work is 24mm or greater but then you need the 17mm, you really need it :)

Both are delightful lenses.

-------------
Michael Gove
http://photosignals.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
Google+ Profile (external link)

fatclay
THREAD ­ STARTER
426 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 01, 2010 11:02 |  #6

Timphoto wrote in post #10100627 (external link)
On a 7D body I'd buy the 17mm version. I have the TS-E 24mm f/3.5 II and I love it on my FF camera, but always seem to wish it was wider when it's on my 7D.

I think that if this is the case, then 17mm would be the way to go. Having the 24mm on the 7D body would probably, more often than not, not be wide enough?

Is there any distortion at 17mm thou? That could be a little ordinary at times if there was?

Canon 7D, 50D & 20D, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Canon 17-40 f4, Canon 24-70 f2.8, Canon 70-200 IS f2.8

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,141 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 01, 2010 16:51 |  #7

fatclay wrote in post #10101529 (external link)
I think that if this is the case, then 17mm would be the way to go. Having the 24mm on the 7D body would probably, more often than not, not be wide enough?

Is there any distortion at 17mm thou? That could be a little ordinary at times if there was?

Having shot with 24mm shift on FF for interiors, I would find the 17mm (28mm equiv. on FF) to be unsufficiently wide on APS-C for interior work.

Using a non-shift UWA which is even wider (such as 10mm on APS-C) as a workaround is OK for some cases, but might not always result in the right frame content as obtained with use of the shift lens.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Park ­ Street
113 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 01, 2010 18:17 |  #8

I have both the lenses and think the 24mm the most useful on a full frame camera. If you are serious about architectural work it is time to start thinking about a 5D or 5DMk2.

Park Street - It Really Is My Name!
http://www.parkstreetp​hotography.com (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 01, 2010 21:14 |  #9

Tilt-shift architectural work is one of the very few reasons I added full frame to my lineup. I too would recommend adding even a cheap used 5D for this kind of work. 24mm is my magic focal length for building interiors that I shoot. In good architectural work, you don't just stand in the corner, shoot as wide as possible and get the whole room in the shot. You focus more on details, features and the flow of the floorplan. For the "stand in the corner and shoot the whole room" shots, a regular non-TS ultrawide usually does the trick well. But the buildings you are shooting might differ a lot from mine.

But if I had to buy one now, it would be the 17mm TS-E plus a 1.4xTC so I can also get 24mm and have both.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

aureliandan
21 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 02, 2010 15:40 |  #10

I have a 40D and just received the TS-E 17mm lens, after using this combination for 2 days I realize that my next body will not be 7D as I planned but 5D Mark II and also on my list is a Kenko 1.4x.

Wilt
43,141 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 02, 2010 20:05 |  #11

picturecrazy wrote in post #10104105 (external link)
But if I had to buy one now, it would be the 17mm TS-E plus a 1.4xTC so I can also get 24mm and have both.

But teleconvertors are designed to work with 'telephoto' optical designs, and won't work as well with 'retrofocus' (wide angle) optics

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

peterbj7
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 02, 2010 20:09 |  #12

I'm not really sure what a tilt-shift lens gives you that another doesn't.....

In any case, they were much used in film days, but with digital can't you use an ordinary lens and correct verticals etc with Photoshop? If getting verticals right is a key benefit of these lenses.

5D & 7D (both gripped), 24-105L, 100-400L, 15-85, 50 f1.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 12-24, G10, EX-Z55 & U/W housing, A1+10 lenses, tripods, lighting gear, etc. etc.
"I prefer radio to television. The pictures are better"

fnothaft
575 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 02, 2010 20:17 |  #13

Wilt wrote in post #10109266 (external link)
But teleconvertors are designed to work with 'telephoto' optical designs, and won't work as well with 'retrofocus' (wide angle) optics

Additionally, the 17mm TS-E is not supposed to work with TCs. Canon doesn't support it.

Body: Canon EOS 5D Mark 2 • Lenses: Bower 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC, Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Lensbaby 2.0, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 135 f/2L USM • Lighting: Canon Speedlite 580EX II • Support: Dolica CX620B104
Gear listWebsite (external link)Flickr (external link)

Wilt
43,141 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 02, 2010 20:17 |  #14

peterbj7 wrote in post #10109291 (external link)
I'm not really sure what a tilt-shift lens gives you that another doesn't.....

In any case, they were much used in film days, but with digital can't you use an ordinary lens and correct verticals etc with Photoshop? If getting verticals right is a key benefit of these lenses.

Photoshop cannot fully duplicate what is accomplished with tilt and shift.

Tilt can alter the plane of focus, and that is impossible with post processing.

Shift can permit you to not only keep verticals from converging, but it also can permit the shot to contain content not possible without shift.

Conventional lens...

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_3823.jpg

Shift lens...
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_3822.jpg

And if you aim a conventional lens downward, to show details like furnishings, then correction via post processing has an adverse affect on resolution because it spreads out available pixels to fill a wider space at one side of the frame.

fatclay
THREAD ­ STARTER
426 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 03, 2010 05:44 |  #15

Thanks to all for there input so far!

From what I have read, that best case scenario would be to get a 5D body with the 24mm TS-E lens. This is somewhat an expensive proposition, but something that if required, then will need to be done.

A little info on my situation, is I am currently completing my studies in commercial photography and intend on going into architecture/real estate photography.

1 question I do have, is why is everyone favoring the 24mm over the 17mm on the FF body? Surely the more one can get into the frame the better? You can always crop the image or simply move forwards to create the same frame as the 24mm? Is this an issue with distortion? I am interested to see some feed back on this.

For me, getting the 17mm would be best case scenario, on my 7D, I am getting 28mm which is going to be usable. Maybe not perfect, but still usable. Then when I go to full frame it will not be an issue.

Definitely would like to get some opinions comparing the 17mm vs 24mm and why?

Thanks in advance,
Clayton F

sponsored links

6,037 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tilt shift (TS-E) lens advice
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.