Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 May 2010 (Saturday) 22:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

is my system sand tight

dennisatmph
511 posts
Joined Nov 2003

May 01, 2010 22:30 |  #1

Hi there,

Sorry for this basic questions. I am going to the desert in arizona, and want to do some hiking/walking there. I don't want to get sand into my system.

I have canon 5dm2, will only attach 17-40 canon L lens, and attach a BW Kasserman CPL on the UV filter, and the lens cap.

I do not intend to remove any parts. Just use it like this the whole trip.

Question is , is this system sand proof. Do I have to worry and cover up my camera when it is dusty or sandy?

Thanks for your insight

Dennis

canon 5 d mark 2, canon 50 prime 1.2, canon 17-40 L , 580EXII , 430 EXII

sponsored links
argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 02, 2010 05:53 |  #2

That should be fine...don't stress over it. I shoot quite a bit in Arizona and have never had a problem with sand getting in the camera (and I swap lenses).

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Double ­ Negative
*sniffles*
10,533 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 03, 2010 09:56 |  #3

You'll be fine. Exercise common sense and have fun.

La Vida Leica! (external link) LitPixel Galleries (external link) -- 1V-HS, 1D Mark IIn & 5D Mark IV w/BG-E20
15mm f/2.8, 14mm f/2.8L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L II, 135mm f/2.0L
16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, Extender EF 1.4x II & 2x II

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 03, 2010 10:16 |  #4

Arizona is dry and hot, but I wouldn't really call it "sandy" - maybe dusty. You'll be fine unless you start changing lenses in a wind storm.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

SVTmaniac
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 03, 2010 10:57 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #5

I shoot in the desert almost everyday and have yet to have any issues with sand or dust in my camera.

-Chris
More gear than talent.

Duckhunter250
252 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 03, 2010 11:19 |  #6

:)

dennisatmph wrote in post #10104429 (external link)
Hi there,

Sorry for this basic questions. I am going to the desert in arizona, and want to do some hiking/walking there. I don't want to get sand into my system.

I have canon 5dm2, will only attach 17-40 canon L lens, and attach a BW Kasserman CPL on the UV filter, and the lens cap.

I do not intend to remove any parts. Just use it like this the whole trip.

Question is , is this system sand proof. Do I have to worry and cover up my camera when it is dusty or sandy?

Thanks for your insight

Dennis

Might want to remove the cap.:) Sorry I had to.

60D|EF-S 18-55IS|EF-S 55-250IS|EF-S 18-135IS stm|EF 85-1.8|Tamron 17-50 2.8 non VC |Tamron SP 70-300 Di VC USD | YN 465|Domke F-3x

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 03, 2010 12:08 |  #7

Sand could get under the focus ring. Fine blowing sand is bad for all cameras, in one way or another.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

899 views & 0 likes for this thread
is my system sand tight
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.