Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 May 2010 (Saturday) 21:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 17-70 Old vs 17-70 New?

JoshBowers
203 posts
Joined May 2005

May 01, 2010 21:19 |  #1

I have the old Sigma 17-70, no OS or HSM. Never really liked the thing. Slow focus, loud, etc. Plus it's broken after a few years of use.

Need to get a replacement lens for that range.

Was wondering if anyone has owned both the new and old versions of this lens and if they notice any serious differences?

Spring/Summer is coming, not sure I can wait to save up for a 24-105. Anyone have some other ideas?

ChronicDaydreamer (external link)

sponsored links
JoshBowers
THREAD ­ STARTER
203 posts
Joined May 2005

May 04, 2010 15:43 |  #2

No one has owned both? Is that a bad sign?

scooby24
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 04, 2010 15:50 as a reply to  @ JoshBowers's post |  #3

I haven't owned both, but I did have the new one for a very short time before returning it. I was disappointed with the image quality. my 18-55 IS is sharper. It also wasn't very fast at focusing and front focused. It was fairly quiet but I just didn't see enough of an improvement over the kit lens to keep it.

450D | 17-85mm IS USM | Bower SFD35C

cjruppel
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 04, 2010 16:29 as a reply to  @ scooby24's post |  #4

I never owned the old one either but I had the new one for a couple of days and returned it due to front focusing. I thought about keeping it and getting it serviced because I liked the HSM and OS and it seemed fairly sharp to me where it did focus. In the end though I decided I valued constant f2.8 more than the 20mm extra reach so I returned it and got a Tamron 17-50 VC instead.

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 04, 2010 17:02 |  #5

JoshBowers wrote in post #10121063 (external link)
No one has owned both? Is that a bad sign?

I'm sure you'll find someone out there that thinks is the best lens out there, I particularly don't like it and have read many bad negative feedback on it.

If you like the wide end you have the Tamron 17-50 non-VC or VC (some prefer VC) and the Canon 17-55 IS. On the long end you have the Tamron 28-75 and the Canon 24-70 or 24-105.

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 04, 2010 17:05 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

I actually heard some good reviews on the non-OS model. Not sure how the OS performs though.

Gear | My gear is changing faster than I can update the signature
VoyageEyewear (external link)

paradiddleluke
Goldmember
3,594 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 04, 2010 17:52 |  #7

I was looking at this lens, now i'm between the EF-S 15-85 IS USM and the EF 17-40L f/4

Website (external link) | Chicago Actor Headshots (external link) | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link)
- Luke S -

JoshBowers
THREAD ­ STARTER
203 posts
Joined May 2005

May 04, 2010 19:33 |  #8

I have a 10-22 and 70-200

So the 17-70 was very nice to fill in between those two. The focusing and quality issues just made it a pain though.

Right now I am looking at the 17-40, 17-55, and 24-105.

I do mostly portraits and most of them are in the wider range. So the 24-105 would probably not work on a crop body for me (not wide enough).

So I'm back to the wider lenses I guess. 17-40, 17-55.

a 5D with a 24-105 would probably be my best fit... Too bad thats out of the budget.

Thanks for the responses. Glad I'm not the only person who has problems with the Sigma lens. Can't stand the external zoom either. So Probably end up with the 17-40 and keep the 70-200 handy. Anyone have this setup?

mightyslam
162 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 04, 2010 19:46 as a reply to  @ JoshBowers's post |  #9

I've had both. The new one is better than the old one. Focus is faster and more accurate. OS is useful, but I have not found a need for it much. It is beefier and more robust and feels more solid. It is nice and sharp, as well. I've been very happy with it.

My only gripe is that it can be a tad soft wide open at 70mm... but still totally usable.

Here is a thread I made with some examples... https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=840675

Thread with more examples... https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=790964

flickr (external link) | Canon 7D MkII | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM | Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon 430EX II

sponsored links

3,668 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 17-70 Old vs 17-70 New?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.