Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 May 2010 (Sunday) 17:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

FPS Picture burst 7D

jimeez2010
71 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 02, 2010 17:10 |  #1

One of the main selling points was FPS but i cannot get my 7d to burst pictures. The only way is in CA setting and it doesnt even work all the time! What am i doing wrong? What test can i do? I'm trying to shoot drag cars and i am bummed seeing it wasnt a problem with my Rebel:confused:

Canon 7D/Grip, EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF24-70mm f/2.8LUSM, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 2x III Extender, Speedlite 580 EXII

sponsored links
griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 02, 2010 17:27 |  #2

Have you tried using manual (or Av or Tv) mode?

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,272 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

May 02, 2010 17:28 |  #3

Here's a previous discussion of this issue:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=864646

jimeez2010
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 02, 2010 17:32 |  #4

griptape wrote in post #10108457 (external link)

yes tried all the modes

Canon 7D/Grip, EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF24-70mm f/2.8LUSM, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 2x III Extender, Speedlite 580 EXII

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 02, 2010 18:12 |  #5

What are all your settings? Include NR, AF settings, and the like. And what do you mean "I cannot get my 7d to burst pictures"? Does it only ever shoot single shots? Does it do only a couple of shots? What does it do?

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Quizzical_Squirrel
489 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 02, 2010 18:14 |  #6

Just checking you've got the drive mode set to continuous/high speed continuous ... and then what happens next, as you hold the shutter down does it just refuse to fire more than one shot?

Edit - just had a thought - did you usually have your Rebel in its "sports" mode setting to achieve a burst of photos? As you know, this can't be done on the 7D since it doesn't have a sports mode so you need to set the drive mode manually instead.
Is this what's happening or am I over-simplyfing the problem?

Edit again - "simplyfing"? I think being out in the heat all day today has deep fried my brain. Please pretend I wrote "simplifying"! :lol:

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,925 posts
Gallery: 1738 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

May 02, 2010 18:52 |  #7

griptape wrote in post #10108457 (external link)

You mean "tried reading the manual".

It's one thing to not reach 8fps (due to shooting conditions). But for one to say they can't get their camera to burst pictures, taking that literally, would suggest someone didn't switch to burst and/or highspeed burst mode.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 02, 2010 23:18 |  #8

jwcdds wrote in post #10108889 (external link)

It's one thing to not reach 8fps (due to shooting conditions). But for one to say they can't get their camera to burst pictures, taking that literally, would suggest someone didn't switch to burst and/or highspeed burst mode.

Exactly,

Coming from a 20D the burst speed on the 7D was actually shocking.

-F

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

jimeez2010
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 03, 2010 16:50 |  #9

jwcdds wrote in post #10108889 (external link)

yes i did set to the multiple pictures settings. i would get it to work only in CA mode and then it would mysteriously quit working, then i would turn the camera off and then back on and it works. im ready to send the camera into canon. i also have a problem when shooting video, when i replay it it has a green pixelating like 2/3rds way down thatgoes in and out. Either im doing something very wrong or i have a lemon!

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,925 posts
Joined Aug 2004

May 03, 2010 22:27 |  #10

Or perhaps you have a bad CF card? Maybe it won't let you clear the buffer as it's not allowing the camera to write to it fast enough/properly? And it's not recording the video correctly?

Just speculation on my part but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try different CF cards.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

jimeez2010
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 04, 2010 04:43 |  #11

jwcdds wrote in post #10116383 (external link)
Or perhaps you have a bad CF card? Maybe it won't let you clear the buffer as it's not allowing the camera to write to it fast enough/properly? And it's not recording the video correctly?

Just speculation on my part but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try different CF cards.

thanks, ill try that, im wondering with the pic burst im using a canon ef 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS Lens has something to do with it. i use the stock lens for video.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,925 posts
Joined Aug 2004

May 04, 2010 10:43 |  #12

I don't think the lens would matter for video. It just needs to be able to write at a certain speed (which isn't that fast to begin with). I'm using an older 16gb transcend "133x" card and it works fine with 1080p. I just can't record video AND take an 18mp snapshot (raw+jpg) at the same time, else the video clunks out cuz of write speed problems. :lol:

But the way you describe the video being corrupted, it's quite possible something might be amiss with your CF card. And if after ruling out it's not the CF, then at least you know you've done as much as you can to test out the puppy before sending it into Canon for eval/fix.

Julian

jimeez2010
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 04, 2010 17:45 |  #13

jwcdds wrote in post #10119129 (external link)
I don't think the lens would matter for video. It just needs to be able to write at a certain speed (which isn't that fast to begin with). I'm using an older 16gb transcend "133x" card and it works fine with 1080p. I just can't record video AND take an 18mp snapshot (raw+jpg) at the same time, else the video clunks out cuz of write speed problems. :lol:

But the way you describe the video being corrupted, it's quite possible something might be amiss with your CF card. And if after ruling out it's not the CF, then at least you know you've done as much as you can to test out the puppy before sending it into Canon for eval/fix.

thanks guys, well i did some testing in my room shooting the clock. i cleared all camera settings and lo and behold it spit off images super fast in all modes with both lens. now the video..i put in another card that i know works in my rebel fine and same result with the video:cry:

PixxByTango
166 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 05, 2010 20:30 |  #14

Quizzical_Squirrel wrote in post #10108696 (external link)
Just checking you've got the drive mode set to continuous/high speed continuous ... and then what happens next, as you hold the shutter down does it just refuse to fire more than one shot?

Edit - just had a thought - did you usually have your Rebel in its "sports" mode setting to achieve a burst of photos? As you know, this can't be done on the 7D since it doesn't have a sports mode so you need to set the drive mode manually instead.
Is this what's happening or am I over-simplyfing the problem?

Edit again - "simplyfing"? I think being out in the heat all day today has deep fried my brain. Please pretend I wrote "simplifying"! :lol:

Where are you seeing this setting you are calling "Continuous/High Speed Continuous"?

Are you referring to the 3-boxes with and without the "H"?

Finally... the bridge between Racers and Photographers!
Check us out at:
http://www.raceshotsre​source.com (external link)

Just call me Alice...
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=-FucbvoFFy0 (external link)

Diver-Down
272 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 05, 2010 20:45 |  #15

jimeez2010 wrote in post #10121782 (external link)
..i put in another card that i know works in my rebel fine and same result with the video:cry:

Did you re-Format the card in the new camera ?

Canon 7DII / 7D / (400D) XTI / 400 5.6 L / Tamron 150-600 / 70-200 F4 IS L / 17-85 IS / 10-22 / Tamron 17-50 2.8 / 85 1.8 / 580 EX II / Kenko 1.4X

sponsored links

6,233 views & 0 likes for this thread
FPS Picture burst 7D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.