Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Apr 2010 (Wednesday) 22:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My 7D Sick Sharp C.Fn Settings

nonameowns
377 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 29, 2010 05:51 |  #16

you sob. ill steal ur setting :D

Proud owner of Canon EOS-1D Classic :cool:

sponsored links
Canonboi
379 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 29, 2010 06:05 |  #17

nonameowns wrote in post #10087585 (external link)

That's what I was thinking about too! :D

But then I thought, "Hmp! Even if I steal his WHOLE CAMERA GEAR, if I don't have that talent and wisdom to everything motorsports photography, it'll be futile!" Haha. Tango is one rare specie.

Yours,

Tango Fanboi! :lol::lol::lol:

Gear: Canon EOS 7D, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 430EXII, Kata 3N1-20

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 29, 2010 06:22 |  #18

I'm impressed, this just shows that with patience and persistence what you can do with the 7D.
I'm seeing this camera as so powerful in what it can do, IF , you set it up properly.
A lot of times when a person posts of a problem with the 7D people cry out " user error ". Many times it is user error, sometimes it may not be.

I'm on my second 7D, I spent two weeks with the first one and could not seem to make it work. I'm not convinced 100% that camera was bad, but I was at the end of the " 14 Day No Questions Asked " return period so I swapped it out.

Thanks to this forum I knew when I got my 7D I was going to really have to spend time learning the camera, that it would no be like going from the 20D to the 40D. This 7D is a different beast.

Now I have a " cheat sheet ' of settings for when I go to the race track! :lol:

nonameowns wrote in post #10087585 (external link)

haha .... Copy/Paste them into a Word Document and call it the 7D CHEAT SHEET !!!

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 29, 2010 06:27 |  #19

I never had any focus issues at all with my 7D... It locks on most of time accuratly (unless due to user error). Last night I used my f/4 24-105 in almost a completely dark room and it locked focus with no problem on a subject I tried to get at ISO 12,800 with shutter speed of only 1/8... Just to give you an idea of how dark it was at f/4... Took a litle longer to lock focus but it did not hunt, just took a second or two longer. The end result was in perfect focus. The AF system is incredible on this camera!

I find myself going through the custom function settings every few weeks to make sure I am not missing anything. So much you can do, I love it!

Excellent photos, however, I think the 300 2.8 may of had something to do with how excellent those images look! :D

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Elisha
577 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 29, 2010 09:11 |  #20

krb wrote in post #10086370 (external link)
If you are shooting in RAW then try using 140 instead. NR can slow the frame rate.

As far as I know only the Strong setting has any effect on the fps. Low and Medium do not!

Nikon D750
flickr (external link)

vmdc
302 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 29, 2010 09:41 |  #21

Those are jaw-dropping sick sharp!
If I can get just one shot like that when I go to Laguna Seca this year, I'll be a very happy man!

Great shots Tango!
I'm going to copy your settings now :cool:

~Matt
Facebook Fan Page (external link)|MDC Imagery (external link)

7D | Tokina 11-16 ƒ/2.8 | Sigma 17-50 ƒ/2.8 EX DC OS | EF 24-70 ƒ/2.8L | EF 70-200 ƒ/2.8L IS | 580EX II | PowerShot S90

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Apr 29, 2010 09:58 |  #22

scokar wrote in post #10086860 (external link)
?

0: standard
1: low
2: strong
3: disable

no 4.

:lol: Allergies are acting up and the medicine is making me groggy as hell. 4th option, labelled number 3, so that NR is disabled.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

MrGreen
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 29, 2010 11:21 |  #23

Elisha wrote in post #10088466 (external link)
As far as I know only the Strong setting has any effect on the fps. Low and Medium do not!

Yes, this is true. If shooting RAW then the settings have no effect on the image and only the strong setting will slow down the high speed burst shooting rate.

My site: www.millionflame.com (external link)
Gear: 7D - Zeikos Grip, Rebel XTi/400D - Opteka Grip, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, EF 50mm f/1.8 (Nifty Fifty), EF-s 55-250mm (Nifty Two-Fifty), Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Σ 150-500mm (Bigmos), Σ 35mm f/1.4, Σ 85mm f/1.4, Feisol CT-3442 CF Tripod, Photo Clam PC-40NS Ball head, 580 EX II Flash

Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 29, 2010 12:45 |  #24

PixxByTango you have some of the best shots i've ever seen from the 7D. Obviously the great glass and skilled PP has a lot to do with them but jesus, sick sharp is right!!!

Ken
Fujifilm X100T | 5D III gripped |35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 29, 2010 13:08 |  #25

PixxByTango wrote in post #10086339 (external link)
LOL!! I just had to have fun with the subject heading.

C.FN I :Exposure

C.Fn II : Image

C.Fn III :Autofocus/Drive
123456789 10 11 12 13
-0112 *000 0 1 1 0

C.Fn III

1. I change between one down to slow and Zero all the time depending upon what I am needing in focal speed. If I am shooting a pan shot at 90 degrees to a subject then I use a slow tracking speed. If I am shooting a 1/1500 or faster I step up the Focal speed to one step faster than zero so it can track the AF quicker as the bike moves towards me or away.

C.Fn III

3. I selected 1 here because since I am shooting in a AF Spot mode, then Main focus Point priority is redundant. So I give continuous AF Track Priority so that it can find that point and lock it.

4. Selected 1 here so that if it cannot find the subject, it does not continue to hunt. Eventually as my subject is moving in my pan shot it will be in focus and I will pull the trigger on the shot. 9 out of 10 it hits perfect now.

5. I adjusted my lenses and only think it makes me feel better. This setting seems to change more than my girlfriend's moods.

6. Totally disabled the Multi-zone focal points. i will select what I want where I want.

12. I selected different points so when I change the landscape to portrait mode it already has the focal point where I need it.

C. Fn IV

1. My Shutter button half-press is set for metering start, not focus!
The AF-ON is set for Metering & AF Start. The rest are default I think.

To get the tack sharp images I track an object through its movement towards or away from me with the AF On button pressed. As I am ready for the kill... I pull the trigger to capture the shot. This does not force the camera to recompose by having to adjust due to movement of the subject. That is what the tracking is for.

Seems to be working for me.

Hmm... my settings are very similar

Exposure
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
0 0 0 0 0 0 0

1 2 3
0 3 0

AF/Drive
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
- 0 1 0 2 * 0 0 0 0 0 1 0

1. Generally 1 slower unless I am doing something that requires some more twitchy af (I have -1 set to C1 and +1 set to C2)

6. Disabled the total 19 zone, I never use it.

Operations/Functions
Still tweaking these.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

PixxByTango
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 05, 2010 20:42 as a reply to  @ themadman's post |  #26

So who here is going to back me up when I bust on the 1DmkIV owner's bubbles?

I just spent the weekend shooting with both cameras back to back and my 7D does it all and sometimes faster... for $XXXX.XX LESS MONEY!!

Finally... the bridge between Racers and Photographers!
Check us out at:
http://www.raceshotsre​source.com (external link)

Just call me Alice...
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=-FucbvoFFy0 (external link)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 05, 2010 20:46 |  #27

PixxByTango wrote in post #10129327 (external link)
So who here is going to back me up when I bust on the 1DmkIV owner's bubbles?

I just spent the weekend shooting with both cameras back to back and my 7D does it all and sometimes faster... for $XXXX.XX LESS MONEY!!

LOLOLOLOL

Glad I have a 7D and saved my money then :p

In all seriousness, the 7D is an amazing camera for $1400. I wouldn't mind the 45point af, fancy new ai servo, and better high iso of the 1D4, but at it's price, I'd rather keep my 7D.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

PixxByTango
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 05, 2010 21:08 |  #28

themadman wrote in post #10129361 (external link)
LOLOLOLOL

Glad I have a 7D and saved my money then :p

In all seriousness, the 7D is an amazing camera for $1400. I wouldn't mind the 45point af, fancy new ai servo, and better high iso of the 1D4, but at it's price, I'd rather keep my 7D.

The funny thing about those 45 points... with the IV you can select two bundled together which works great for shooting cars. Really. Otherwise... the remaining 45 points are all spread out just like the 19 the 7D has. So if you are not shooting some static object and absolutely need framing and focus for a particular object, I cannot see the value.

Another point is that anything higher than F/5.0 aperture... the focus points are not cross linked like they are in the 7D. So unless you are using super fast glass and NOT trying to dumb slow the shutter like I do to get the "Hypo-Sharp" (The All NEW description for Tango's Shots that are sharper than just being "tack sharp") image of the entire subject and not just part of it... then the focus on the IV is slower to achieve the same results the 7D gets instantly.
bw!

Click it... you all must Bow!

Finally... the bridge between Racers and Photographers!
Check us out at:
http://www.raceshotsre​source.com (external link)

Just call me Alice...

rogazilla
372 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 05, 2010 21:09 |  #29

Any one want to bring up the problem with 18mp?

7D is a monster here!

Roger
My Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

Diver-Down
272 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 05, 2010 21:26 |  #30

PixxByTango wrote in post #10086339 (external link)
1. I change between one down to slow and Zero all the time depending upon what I am needing in focal speed. If I am shooting a pan shot at 90 degrees to a subject then I use a slow tracking speed. If I am shooting a 1/1500 or faster I step up the Focal speed to one step faster than zero so it can track the AF quicker as the bike moves towards me or away.

Are we adjusting tracking sensivity or tracking speed here ?

I thought this is for adjusting the amount of time it takes for the focus to move off the target if something passes in front or you loose track. Or does it actually adjust how fast you're lens focuses ?

Canon 7DII / 7D / (400D) XTI / 400 5.6 L / Tamron 150-600 / 70-200 F4 IS L / 17-85 IS / 10-22 / Tamron 17-50 2.8 / 85 1.8 / 580 EX II / Kenko 1.4X

sponsored links

21,745 views & 0 likes for this thread
My 7D Sick Sharp C.Fn Settings
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.