Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!

this thread is locked
The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 06, 2010 06:29 |  #4921

Luminodio wrote in post #10130809 (external link)
I mean, don't get me wrong...but should I do all these do-arounds or go about doing something about changing it? Has no one else really experienced this?

It was in my basement in an area where there were no lights on but all parts of the basement are attached via removed basement walls (and some were partially lit).

It had great difficulty hitting focus for almost minutes at a time and I was shooting single shots at a time so it wasn't a buffer issue either. I couldn't really explain it except for the continuously blinking AF indicator light and the follow-through with the last press didn't trigger the shutter. I even tried 'button mashing' a couple exposures to see if it helped and it didn't.

I'm hoping it is a user-to-UI error. I'd almost always confess that I was being a fool rather than pay the piper.

P.S.
The full shot where the cloud body is more than two thirds of the frame is awesome. Is that from your 17mm TS-E, eh?

The focusing system of this camera and virtually every other one as well, is looking for sharp contrast on the objects it attempts to lock onto. Contrast, by its very nature can not exist in a dark or very dim environment. Nor can it exist on a blank wall or cloudless sky.

The reason that you can read what I'm typing right now is because the letters are presented in black on an illuminated white background. That's the perfect light spectrum, contrast extreme. Can you read a book in the dark? Why would you expect your camera to do the same? So, you seem like a smart guy, Ravi. Connect the mental dots here and realize that you need to give your camera and its focusing engine more meat on the lighting bone. ;)

And thanks for the feedback on the shot! Yes, the TS-E17 was on duty for that one.

Cheers!

GEAR LIST l WEBSITE (external link)

sponsored links
The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 06, 2010 06:34 |  #4922

ALaS wrote in post #10130724 (external link)
Mostly people portraits yes. I am at home at 50mm.

Well, if that's the case, get the best 50mm lens you can afford!

Cheers!

Illumined
"i love you guys"
2,641 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 06, 2010 07:22 |  #4923

The Ghost of FM wrote in post #10131202 (external link)
The focusing system of this camera and virtually every other one as well, is looking for sharp contrast on the objects it attempts to lock onto. Contrast, by its very nature can not exist in a dark or very dim environment. Nor can it exist on a blank wall or cloudless sky.

The reason that you can read what I'm typing right now is because the letters are presented in black on an illuminated white background. That's the perfect light spectrum, contrast extreme. Can you read a book in the dark? Why would you expect your camera to do the same? So, you seem like a smart guy, Ravi. Connect the mental dots here and realize that you need to give your camera and its focusing engine more meat on the lighting bone. ;)

And thanks for the feedback on the shot! Yes, the TS-E17 was on duty for that one.

Cheers!

I think you're missing what I'm saying or I am being too vague as I most usually am.

My camera's shutter has no problem going off when the lens cap is on and there is absolutely no secondary color for contrast to occur (a prime secondary in this example would be white). However when it comes to me being a dimly lit room in M mode where metering is supposed to be nothing more than a panel that I can choose to navigate perpendicular to or not, the trigger fails to get a response from the shutter block?

I'm sorry, but something isn't adding up here. I don't use in-camera metering; I use a light meter.

Ravi J.H. | Make an experience out of it - focus and expose manually.
Sony RX1 | Sony FDA-EVM1K (EVF) | Nikomat 11" cloth-locking cable release | Previous Gear

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 06, 2010 07:58 |  #4924

Luminodio wrote in post #10131387 (external link)
I think you're missing what I'm saying or I am being too vague as I most usually am.

My camera's shutter has no problem going off when the lens cap is on and there is absolutely no secondary color for contrast to occur (a prime secondary in this example would be white). However when it comes to me being a dimly lit room in M mode where metering is supposed to be nothing more than a panel that I can choose to navigate perpendicular to or not, the trigger fails to get a response from the shutter block?

I'm sorry, but something isn't adding up here. I don't use in-camera metering; I use a light meter.

Regards the first point I quoted in bold type;

I just tried to take a picture with the AF on and the lens cap on, on my 100L lens and it would not allow me to fire a shot. And the focus lock indicator in the viewfinder, round icon, gray color, was flashing like mad to tell me that the camera has nothing to focus-lock on. That is the normal behavior for this camera. How you are managing to get your camera to do this under the same condition is a complete mystery to me. If yours is doing this under the exact same settings scenario, send it in to Canon.

About the camera's built in light meter, it has 4 different modes. Off isn't one of them. That aside, I still maintain that in order to shoot in dim environments, you're generally going to have to shoot in manual focus if you don't want to be slowed down by the AF system trying to hunt for a target.

Can you post an "un-modified" picture of this scene that you are trying to shoot? I'd be very curious to see what the focus target is with the ambient light only. Continuing on with this mystery without some photographic evidence is going to be pointless.

Cheers!

ALaS
Goldmember
2,205 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 06, 2010 10:01 |  #4925

The Ghost of FM wrote in post #10131215 (external link)
Well, if that's the case, get the best 50mm lens you can afford!

Cheers!

I'd like to have this range in primes:
24 or 28 or 35,
MAYBE 135

Zooms:
70-200

Best Regards,
-Ericson.
flick (external link)r (external link) | Gear -Canon 1Ds Mark II, 50L & 28mm f/1.8 for SALE!

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 06, 2010 10:17 |  #4926

ALaS wrote in post #10132091 (external link)
I'd like to have this range in primes:
24 or 28 or 35,
MAYBE 135

Zooms:
70-200

I have the 24, 50, 85 and 100 primes plus a few others, and recently sold off my 35 prime as it got very little use. I was also considering the 135 prime but find the 100 is close enough and gives me macro with IS to boot.

Bottom line here is that everyone's needs are different and ultimately you've got to pick the lenses that are best suited to your needs and yours alone.

Cheers!

ALaS
Goldmember
2,205 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 06, 2010 11:04 |  #4927

Yessir!

Your 24..is it the 24L mk II?

::Drooling::

Best Regards,
-Ericson.
flick (external link)r (external link) | Gear -Canon 1Ds Mark II, 50L & 28mm f/1.8 for SALE!

ALaS
Goldmember
2,205 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 06, 2010 11:04 |  #4928

**Drooling**

Best Regards,
-Ericson.

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 06, 2010 11:16 |  #4929

ALaS wrote in post #10132472 (external link)
Yessir!

Your 24..is it the 24L mk II?

::Drooling::

Nope!

Just the lowly 24L Mark zero! :D

I have a very sharp copy so I'm not tempted to upgrade to the Mk II and lose a bunch of money for the privilege of weather sealing. ;)

Cheers!

ALaS
Goldmember
2,205 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 06, 2010 13:58 |  #4930

Man, I'd love any 24 f/1.4... What's your favorite lens?

P.s. My 1Ds mk II is on it's way :D
I traded for my gripped 30D + 17-55 f/2.8 IS. Boy will I miss that lens...

Best Regards,
-Ericson.

John ­ Hudson
Goldmember
1,163 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 06, 2010 14:06 |  #4931

One from today, taken from a hide at RSPB Saltholme.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

This was the best I could do today. The weather was very overcast, misty and drizzling rain. This shot taken using a Sigma 50-500mm stacked with a 1.4TC and a 2.0TC giving a total focal length on 1400mm. Manual focus as a result.

John.

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 06, 2010 14:44 |  #4932

ALaS wrote in post #10133527 (external link)

Congrats!

My current favorite is my TS-E17L but that's because it's my newest lens and I've been really going crazy, putting it though its paces to see what its capable of.

About the lens you say you're going to miss, that's exactly why I originally suggested getting the 17-40L as it covers a similar focal range at the wider end but will become even wider on a full frame body. But, like I've already said, lens selection should be a personal choice, never a populist's one.

Cheers!

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 06, 2010 14:47 |  #4933

John Hudson wrote in post #10133577 (external link)
One from today, taken from a hide at RSPB Saltholme.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

This was the best I could do today. The weather was very overcast, misty and drizzling rain. This shot taken using a Sigma 50-500mm stacked with a 1.4TC and a 2.0TC giving a total focal length on 1400mm. Manual focus as a result.

John.

Very nice and especially so considering all the multipliers involved! ;)

What kind of birds are those? I've never seen that breed before.

Cheers!

John ­ Hudson
Goldmember
1,163 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 06, 2010 15:12 |  #4934

The Ghost of FM wrote in post #10133785 (external link)
Very nice and especially so considering all the multipliers involved! ;)

What kind of birds are those? I've never seen that breed before.

Cheers!

I believe they are Crested Grebes, but I'm no bird expert.

John.

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 06, 2010 15:31 |  #4935

ALaS wrote in post #10133527 (external link)

Congrats. I moved from a 30D to a 1Ds2 as well. The viewfinder alone will justify the trade. Now pick up some lens and you will be good to go.

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

sponsored links

1,399,164 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.