Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Mar 2010 (Wednesday) 20:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Error 20 & 5DMKII (Can I fix it?)

axxerd
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 17, 2010 20:08 |  #1

Ok so I have a 9 month old 5DMKII. Everything has worked fine until today. I was finishing up a day of grad photos when I get the error. I did what the screen told me (turn off camera, remove battery etc..). Nothing really worked. I did what it asked, even tried different lenses, cards, batteries..nothing. I still could shoot a few images, and then the camera would go into error 20 again. Sometimes I could get 2 pictures in before it happens, the next time it could be 30, and the next time no pics at all before the error.

So I called the local store I bought it at. They won't replace it but will send it to Canon Canada for me. (Not 100% sure what the difference is for them to do it other they say they could get it done possibly quicker, and they'll give me a loaner camera...albeit probably an old Rebel since she told me it won't be another FF).

So before shipping it to the city to get sent to Canon, I tried the usual, seemingly bull****, exercise of removing lens, battery, and memory card and letting the camera sit for an hour or so. What happened after that was interesting as I have shot off 252 images so far without the error coming up.

So..is it at all possible that this routine actually fixed my problem? Or am I just getting led on by the camera? I have to shoot a wedding in a little over 3 weeks and I'm afraid the camera won't be back from Canon. I also have a 5D backup that recently had the mirror fly off of it (which i know Canon will cover...but once again quite the wait).

What should I do? Is the camera fixed? Or should I risk the wait and take their loaner in the meantime?
:cry:

Vinland Photography (external link)

sponsored links
joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,021 posts
Gallery: 128 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Mar 17, 2010 20:20 |  #2

if a problem goes away on it's own, it'll likely come back at some time on it's own (old proverb)

from: http://tallyns.blogspo​t.com …error-codes-revealed.html (external link)

error 20 looks mechanical - something like that isn't going to correct by resetting/battery out. Unless you feel very lucky, best send it in...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Shenanigans
267 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 17, 2010 21:36 as a reply to  @ joeseph's post |  #3

About six weeks ago, my 5D Mark II displayed Error 20, with about two days left on the warranty. It was back from Canon in about a week, with the following work description:

"Your product has been examined and it was found that the gear assembly was broken causing error 20 to be displayed. The gear assembly was replaced and product functions were confirmed. Other inspection and cleaning and parts replacements were carried out."

So, this seems to be a serious physical malfunction in the mirror box. Don't trust this camera body to shoot a wedding until Canon repairs it and you put the camera through a major workout to confirm the repairs.

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 08, 2010 10:21 |  #4

i got this dreaded error code before last night's shoot @ the Wilco show. ugh.

i tried a bunch of things (all listed above), w/ the code still coming back. the camera actually started to work sporadically w/o the code, but it did come back from time to time. my camera is ~14 months old. i hope canon repairs it at no cost...

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 14, 2010 07:37 |  #5

well the good news is that even though it was out of warranty by ~6 weeks, Canon will cover the repair costs. let's hope it's not a recurring thing.

gear list

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 06, 2010 08:02 |  #6

gah....Error 20 is back...

gear list

zozoka
38 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 06, 2010 08:26 as a reply to  @ narlus's post |  #7

Error back , after Canon fixed ?

5D ; 30D ; 17-40 4L ; 24-105 4L ; 70-200 4L ; 50 1.4 ; Tamron 200-500 ; 430EX

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 06, 2010 13:42 |  #8

Aye.

i wasn't too happy, since it died before the Public Image Limited show last night.

at least i had my 5D classic operable, but i could have used higher ISO...

gear list

OneyedJack
140 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 06, 2010 16:34 |  #9

narlus wrote in post #10133420 (external link)
Aye.

i wasn't too happy, since it died before the Public Image Limited show last night.

at least i had my 5D classic operable, but i could have used higher ISO...

PIL is touring....wow...have not heard them in years. Thanks for the heads up.

5Dmk2 | 24-105f4 | 16-35f2.8 | 70-200f2.8

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 06, 2010 18:55 |  #10

it was quite the good show. definitely see 'em if they come nearby.

gear list

Buff_GUY
573 posts
Joined May 2010

May 06, 2010 20:17 |  #11

Ouch guys, I hope this does not happen to me

Gear

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 07, 2010 10:28 |  #12

canon gave me a pre-paid UPS label so it's making a return visit to NJ today.

gear list

Strattos
143 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 23, 2011 03:00 |  #13

I know there are a lot of threads out there on the Error 20 message (and that my camera is a 50D not 5D), but thought I'd add my specific scenario in the hope that the more feedback Canon get the more hope we'll have of getting this problem fixed.

My 50D did it once about 12 months ago. Turned off and back on and it's worked perfectly for about 12 months.

Then a month ago got it again while shooting some motorsport (most of my shooting is motorsport). Happened about three times throughout two days. Shot about 1200 pics over that time.

Did a shoot this morning and it was back and worse than it's ever been. Sometimes I could get maybe 10 or 20 shots off, sometimes two or three and it would lock up with the Error 20 message.

In my case I've narrowed it down to using AI Servo, which I use for the majority of my motorsport pics. It didn't happen using One Shot. When in AI Servo it happened regardless of whether I was in Single Shot mode or Continuous.

ROGERWILCO357
Goldmember
1,551 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 23, 2011 03:05 |  #14

seems to happen when you guys do alot of shooting , is heat an issue or just mechanical?

EOS 5DMKII gripped;EOS 7D;30D:Rebel Xti Digital;24-105L,70-200 f/2.8L.II,85mm f1.2L.II,16-35Lmk2, SP AF90mmF/2.8DI,28-135mm x 2,580EX II-430ExII with Pocket Wizards II,(Adobe CS5)

sponsored links

8,905 views & 0 likes for this thread
Error 20 & 5DMKII (Can I fix it?)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.