Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 May 2010 (Friday) 07:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40D to 50D or 7D?

betty1704
154 posts
Joined May 2008

May 07, 2010 07:06 |  #1

I've never been happy with my 40D (poor focus, high noise from ISO)400,etc).
I'm thinking of upgrading to 50D or 7D (used a 50D this weekend and was inpressed)
If you use any of the two please let me know pros and cons.

Thanks

sponsored links
Lacks_focus
Goldmember
1,025 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 07, 2010 08:53 |  #2

If you're unhappy with the 40D for the reasons given, I'm not sure what you will gain from either body you listed as possible replacements.

1D MKIII | FujiFilm X10 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 70-200 f/2.8 | 135 f/2 | 85 f/1.8 | 580EX |
lacks-focus.smugmug.com (external link)

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,923 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

May 07, 2010 08:55 |  #3

Choose your poison here:

Great IQ and image quality: 5DII
Fast Focus and FPS: 7D

If there was a do it all body we would all have the same camera :p

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

Andread
49 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 07, 2010 08:56 |  #4

Lacks_focus wrote in post #10137974 (external link)
If you're unhappy with the 40D for the reasons given, I'm not sure what you will gain from either body you listed as possible replacements.

correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the 7D offer just what he wants? (fast focus, high ISO performance, etc)

drew

Canon 6D, 40mm f2.8 pancake
-My Flickr- (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,562 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 07, 2010 09:11 |  #5

The 40D has quite the awesome focus system... in one shot mode it performs just as good as my 1-series bodies, even on non-centre points. If you find the 40D focusing to be bad, then I'm not sure any camera will work for you. The 50D has the same focusing system so it shouldn't be any better. I would venture a guess to say that it's either user error, or your individual 40D just might need a little tuneup from Canon to really sing.

The 40D is arguably one of Canon's cleanest high ISO 1.6 crop cams too. It's a real gem of a camera, and performs up to the task for a lot of professional shooting.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

Lacks_focus
Goldmember
1,025 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 07, 2010 09:13 |  #6

Andread wrote in post #10137990 (external link)
correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the 7D offer just what he wants? (fast focus, high ISO performance, etc)

drew

He states poor focus, which isn't entirely true of the 40D, many are using it for sports with excellent results. He also states poor noise above ISO400, also not really true of the 40D. Maybe above 1600, but 400? My point was he may have pretty high (possibly unrealistic) expectations from his GEAR and maybe slightly lower expectations from his ABILITIES as a photographer to extract the very best out the equipment he already has… Not trying to start anything here, but an all to common theme seems to be blame the gear for problems perceived.

1D MKIII | FujiFilm X10 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 70-200 f/2.8 | 135 f/2 | 85 f/1.8 | 580EX |
lacks-focus.smugmug.com (external link)

pgcaldito
43 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 07, 2010 10:12 |  #7

I have the 40D and 7D. The 7D focus is better and has more options, but it's not the be-all, end-all. In other words, don't think that everything suddenly will always be in focus; and if you're having issues with the 40D -- especially in single shot mode -- I suspect you might have the same issues with the 7D. In good light, the image quality, I think, is pretty much the same between the two. In low light, I never push the 40D past 1600, and even then that's done reluctantly. I've routinely shot the 7D at 3200 and 6400; there's noise, but it cleans up acceptably, to me, in post-processing (though the images get softer, from the NR). Considering the way I like to shoot (candids, pj, natural light), that means I get a lot of shots I simply couldn't or wouldn't have gotten with the 40D. Depending on what you shoot, the 7D's higher resolution can also be a significant bonus if you need to crop. I didn't realize how much until my wife shot a football game with a 200mm, and I was trying to save shots of action on the other side of the field -- and could!

pgko.zenfolio.com (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 07, 2010 10:15 |  #8

picturecrazy wrote in post #10138079 (external link)
The 40D has quite the awesome focus system... in one shot mode it performs just as good as my 1-series bodies, even on non-centre points. If you find the 40D focusing to be bad, then I'm not sure any camera will work for you. The 50D has the same focusing system so it shouldn't be any better. I would venture a guess to say that it's either user error, or your individual 40D just might need a little tuneup from Canon to really sing.

The 40D is arguably one of Canon's cleanest high ISO 1.6 crop cams too. It's a real gem of a camera, and performs up to the task for a lot of professional shooting.

100% Agree...

I keep telling myself I need to replace my 40D but then I go out and shoot with it, pour over the resulting images and ask myself, "Exactly why do I need to replace this?"

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,182 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 07, 2010 10:24 |  #9

betty1704 wrote in post #10137584 (external link)
I've never been happy with my 40D (poor focus, high noise from ISO)400,etc).
I'm thinking of upgrading to 50D or 7D (used a 50D this weekend and was inpressed)
If you use any of the two please let me know pros and cons.

Thanks

I have both and had the 40D as well. The 50D is a nice improvement over the 40D in many ways. The AF is marginally quicker and more accurate and real world ISO is maybe a stop better as well. If your happy with ISO400 on the 40D, the 50D will get you to ISO800 with similar results. The 7D however is a very nice improvement indeed. The AF is much quicker, follows targets accurately and gets you another stop in ISO. Shooting at ISO1600 gets very nice results.

Bottom line.. on paper and in lab/bench tests there is not a big difference between the 50D and 40D but in real world shooting the difference is noticeable. Same with the 7D. On paper or tested on a bench the differences seem minor, but out in the field the 7D is a total joy to shoot with and the improvements really stand out. If your not happy with the 40D upgrade away.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

MGiddings ­ Photography
964 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 07, 2010 10:58 |  #10

I have found the 40D high ISO performance to be not as good as the 50D (Irgulary shoot at 1600 ISO with the 50D no problem). I suspect the (and have seen but not tried for myself) the ISO performace of the 7D to be very good. It all comes down to cost. The 50D can be had for a bargain price right now. If you have the money get the 7D.

http://www.mgiddings.c​om (external link)

SnapLocally.com
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined May 2007

May 07, 2010 11:34 |  #11

If the OP had issues with AF and ISO noise on the 40D, it comes down to three possibilities:

1. impossibly high standards

2. user error

3. a bad copy of the 40D

I own both the 40D and the 7D. The 7D makes life easier, but it's not a magic machine that makes issue 1 and 2 go away. The 40D is a perfectly fine camera, and I've used mine to take as good and sometimes better shots as 1D users. I think the OP needs to identify what the actual issues are, and work from there.

www.SnapLocally.com (external link)

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,050 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 07, 2010 15:14 |  #12

picturecrazy wrote in post #10138079 (external link)
The 40D is arguably one of Canon's cleanest high ISO 1.6 crop cams too.

High ISO to what? Just wondering. ISO 3200 on my 40D leaves a lot to be desired, even if the exposure is correct.

windpig
Chopped liver
14,843 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

May 07, 2010 15:38 |  #13

SnapLocally.com wrote in post #10138937 (external link)
If the OP had issues with AF and ISO noise on the 40D, it comes down to three possibilities:

2. user error

3. a bad copy of the 40D

I own both the 40D and the 7D. The 7D makes life easier, but it's not a magic machine that makes issue 1 and 2 go away. The 40D is a perfectly fine camera, and I've used mine to take as good and sometimes better shots as 1D users. I think the OP needs to identify what the actual issues are, and work from there.

+1
I also own the 5DII. 40D is a very nice body, it only lacks MFA, which made my 400 F5.6 much nicer on the 7D and 5DII. I'd try and ID the focus issure with the 40D.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

kelleystar27
195 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 07, 2010 15:43 |  #14

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #10138448 (external link)
100% Agree...

I keep telling myself I need to replace my 40D but then I go out and shoot with it, pour over the resulting images and ask myself, "Exactly why do I need to replace this?"

^^^+1

Kelley
www.facebook.com/charm​edcapturesphotography.​com (external link)
40D, 5D,5D II, 28-75 2.8, 85 1.8, 200 2.8L, 300 2.8L

sixsixfour
Goldmember
1,781 posts
Joined May 2007

May 07, 2010 17:35 |  #15

SnapLocally.com wrote in post #10138937 (external link)

2. user error

3. a bad copy of the 40D

agreed. I have both and while the 7D is more modern and superior to the 40D, the 40D is no slouch itself. one thing the OP forgot to include is the type of lens he/she is using and what he/she is doing/shooting with it. the problems are quite vague and dont really tell much of the story, other than blaming the equipment.

personally i think sample photos and a more thorough description of the problem will determine the issue. agreed, the 7D wont magically make pictures better.

Canon 7D / 50D / 30D / SL1 / XT

My photography-related addiction makes a crack habit look like a fiscally responsible pasttime.

sponsored links

10,808 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D to 50D or 7D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.