Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 07 May 2010 (Friday) 09:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Finally bought Pocket Wizards

sconner69
58 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 07, 2010 09:10 |  #1

I finally was able to purchase a Mini-TT1 and Flex-TT5, these are a few of my first attempts to use them with my 430 EX-II flash. I am always striving to get better, so let me have it! LOL

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Thanks,
Scott

Scott,
Canon T1i
Small studio in process in my garage.....

sponsored links
kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2009

May 07, 2010 10:12 |  #2

Seems like you are on a good way. I like all of them.

I have to little experience with flashes to give any advice on how to use them. I know enough about it to know that it is difficult to get it right. I doubt that i would managed to do it better.

My experience in all of them is, that the shots are good but it is lacking something more.

I think that the first one is the best of them, but a bit blown out on her shirt.

On the second it is to little on her face.

The contrast is a bit to much in the last two, with strong shadows from her hair on her face and under her arm. I am not getting the feeling that you have two fill lights on her. It is as if you are using one light from the front.

But I think you did a great work here. Good luck with your progress.

Living in Austria, I am so glad that there is stuff like Gimp out there...
I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/41388512@N05/ (external link)

Kingnog
310 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 07, 2010 17:35 |  #3

I like these, except I think the faces are too dark on the first 3. #4, you should probably clone out those greenish-yellow blobs on the bottom left...

Zakary
45 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 07, 2010 20:02 |  #4

Ok! I like your compositions (except 3-background is too busy for my taste). the photos are a little underexposed.
Also, I can see that you were using only one flash, which created some hard shadows. Next time try to bounce the light via a reflector (it can be as simple as a large white foam board) it will help fill in those shadows and balance the lighting.
Great start, keep shooting and experimenting with your flash, in my humble experience, that's the only why to learn and understand lighting.
Good luck and keep shooting.

Zakary
Fairfax VA USA

christisdale
199 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 07, 2010 23:25 |  #5

maybe its just me but they all seem a little bit out of focus?

ChristianTisdale.com

sconner69
THREAD ­ STARTER
58 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 08, 2010 07:16 as a reply to  @ christisdale's post |  #6

Thanks to all of you for the comments, they will help me to get better.
You are all correct as I only have one flash right now. At first I was thinking where am I gonna come up with another $500 for another Flex-TT5 and 430-EX flash for fill light. Thank you Zakary for mentioning the reflector, I have used them in the studio, just for some reason did not think of taking one with me outside. Next trip out I will do so!
Kingnog I did not even notice the blotches on her arm in pic four, thanks for the heads up on that and I will clone those out.
Chris, I went back to the full size photos and the eyes are tack sharp in all but #2, I did not use photoshop to reduce the size to fit here, I used MAC picture preview and I agree it softened them a bit, I will make sure to use photoshop next time.

Scott,
Canon T1i

ocabj
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 08, 2010 07:27 |  #7

Out of curiosity, did you have a filter on the lens when you took photo #3?

Jonathan Ocab - https://www.ocabj.net (external link) - http://jocabphoto.com (external link)

sconner69
THREAD ­ STARTER
58 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 08, 2010 07:32 |  #8

ocabj wrote in post #10143426 (external link)
Out of curiosity, did you have a filter on the lens when you took photo #3?

Just a UV filter, I was shooting with my canon 50mm which I have not been able to get to flare very well, My buddy has a 24 to 70 that does a much better job, my guess is because there are more elements in his lens?

Scott,
Canon T1i

scslmd
141 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 08, 2010 13:05 |  #9

Appears you using a bare flash which has a weird "bright sunlight" foreground but dusk background differential. Try putting a 1/2 or 1/4 CTO gel in front of the flash. That may help with lighting more.

5D2, 40D+BG-E2, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, EF-S 17-55mm (kit), EF 28-135mm, EF 17-40 f/4, EF 24-70 f/2.8, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS, 430EX, 580EX II

whodenie
36 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 08, 2010 21:33 |  #10

The first might look better if the light was higher....light from below often looks weird. congrats on the PWs!

sponsored links

1,251 views & 0 likes for this thread
Finally bought Pocket Wizards
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.