Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 May 2010 (Friday) 15:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the advantage of the G11 over the Rebel XS?

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 07, 2010 15:26 |  #1

The G11 has a similar zoom range (when comparing the stock lens, 18-55 on the rebel), and the G11 isn't really that much smaller. So I was wondering what the advantage is to having a G11 when, for almost the same price, one can purchase the 1000D (Rebel XS).

I ask this because I'm thinking of getting one or the other with a few hundred bucks I'm scrounging up.

It seems to me that the Rebel would easily outperform the G11 in low light.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Thank you. bw!

sponsored links
denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 07, 2010 15:59 |  #2

I had the same thoughts, but it really comes down to size...of the cameras vs the sensors. The G11 comes as a complete package, while the XS requires at least an additional lens to achieve the same zoom range - 28 - 140 mm equiv. The XS kit lens is 28- 88 mm equiv. I ended up preferring the all-in-one size of the G11. I've had film SLRs, so I want to avoid that size again, as well as the attraction and cost of buying more lenses. It's a personal choice.

I continually read posts by folks with DSLR kits that want the convenience of the more pocketable (jacket at least) G11. However, many just add it to their overall kit, rather than sell off the DSLR kit.

Dennis

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 07, 2010 16:30 |  #3

It's convenience. Of course the Rebel will outperform a P&S like the G11. My G10 comes with me when I don't want to lug around a bigger camera.

RIgnacio
281 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 07, 2010 16:50 |  #4

I like the portability and if you're into street photography, its a lot more stealthier than a full on dslr.

[URL="http://[URL="htt​p://[/COLOR""]
[URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=9262644&postcou​nt=2114[/COLOR"]
[URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=9262644&postcou​nt=2114"]Gear List
[URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/rignacio/​"]Flickr

Tiberius
Goldmember
2,545 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 07, 2010 17:04 |  #5

The benefit of a dSLR is that the sensor is larger. If you have a dSLR and a compacty camera both with, say, 10 megapixels, then the compact camera has to squeeze those pixels into a smaller area. That means each pixel is smaller. The smaller the pixel, the less light it can gather, so the more it has to be amplified. it is this amplification that produces noise at higher ISO ratings.

So, the larger the sensor, the better image quality, in terms of noise.

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

genzbenz
628 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 07, 2010 17:32 as a reply to  @ Tiberius's post |  #6

Convenience is handy. When I went to Hawaii, I took my SX10 IS, which for a P&S camera, is pretty big. For those times that I didn't feel like lugging the SX10 IS, I bought a cheap $100 A1000 to come with me. I popped it into my cell phone holster and had quick access to my camera when it was needed. Is it as good as my current DSLR? No, but a picture with a lesser camera beats the picture you missed because you didn't have a camera with ya!

Tiberius47 is right about the noise. My SX10 IS had unacceptable noise at ISO 400, whereas I can get usable shots at ISO 3200 on my Rebel T1i (with a little help from PhotoShop). Also, it's much more difficult to get a shallow depth of field with the smaller sensors. Conversely, if you're doing landscape shots and want a ton of DOF, the smaller sensors excel at that.

Visit my Facebook Page (external link)
5D III | 5D II | 85L II | 24-70L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 100-400L | 100 2.8 Macro | 50 1.8 II | Tokina 16-28 2.8 | Sigma 15 2.8 FE | Sigma 35 1.4 | 430EX II (x3) | Calumet Genesis lights | YN RF-602 and YN-622c triggers

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 07, 2010 18:08 |  #7

Ummm...
What about interchangeable lenses?
I would have though that would be a VERY BIG advantage

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Needsnow
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 07, 2010 18:22 |  #8

The G11 also has video... It is sort of my all-in-one solution when I just want to carry one thing. The GII can do everything from a really nice macro to a landscape. The quality is more than acceptable and it is a pleasure to use.

Canon EOS R

cyberon
540 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 07, 2010 20:17 |  #9

philwillmedia wrote in post #10141193 (external link)
Ummm...

Interchangeable lenses gives you the flexibility but it then comes down to portability again, not to mention that it starts to really add up after you buy a couple of quality lenses!

500D, Speedlite 430EX II, Lens : 15-85mm; 50mm F1.8 II; 100mm F2.8L IS Macro; 70-200mm F4L; Samyang 8mm F3.5
U/W : G11, OEM Housing, Inon S2000, Inon D4 Tray, Inon UCL-165 Close up lens
Astro : Modded 1100D, ES 80ED, Skywatcher HEQ5 Mount, Astrotrac TT320X-AG, Astronomik CLS Clip in filter

arg245
827 posts
Joined Jan 2005

May 07, 2010 20:32 as a reply to  @ Needsnow's post |  #10

Ditto on the macro. Everything that has been said in the previous posts is exactly right, but the macro on the G series is hard to beat.

Can't get rid of my SLR though. I'll be adding a G11 to my kit as soon as the funds are available.

---------------
Andy Garcia
Google+ (external link) | Zenfolio (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 08, 2010 07:19 |  #11

philwillmedia wrote in post #10141193 (external link)
Ummm...

cyberon wrote in post #10141686 (external link)
Interchangeable lenses gives you the flexibility but it then comes down to portability again, not to mention that it starts to really add up after you buy a couple of quality lenses!

Bugga...I mis-read the question.
The answer, (for me anyway) is actually none.
I can't see that the G11 has any advantages over any DSLR, even a Rebel.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Luke ­ Cern
926 posts
Joined Jan 2005

May 08, 2010 09:50 |  #12

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #10140373 (external link)
The G11 has a similar zoom range (when comparing the stock lens, 18-55 on the rebel), and the G11 isn't really that much smaller. So I was wondering what the advantage is to having a G11 when, for almost the same price, one can purchase the 1000D (Rebel XS).

I ask this because I'm thinking of getting one or the other with a few hundred bucks I'm scrounging up.

It seems to me that the Rebel would easily outperform the G11 in low light.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Don't forget the difference in Depth of Field when using the G11. You have more DOF but in many cases that's not what you want. I work with f/2 and brighter lenses which give me the shallow depths of field I like. With the G series and the smaller sensor, you can't achieve that (even when you want to). So... for creative photography, the DSLR will be more appropriate.

robrobin
195 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 30, 2010 21:03 |  #13

Hmmm, if you consider things like weight, size, articulating screen, etc. advantages.....like when you are trying to travel light or not be so conspicuous.....then there are reason to choose a G11 or similar over a DSLR. As far a DOF is concerned, certainly you have greater DOF because of the smaller sensor size but if you shoot close objects with a mid-range focal length you can achieve a moderate boketh.

When I travel I take my G11 and Sony TX1 90% of the time over my 5D2 or T2i. The convenience is a great advantage.

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 30, 2010 21:06 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

Now lets compare apples to oranges. They maybe similar in price but are completely different animals.

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 30, 2010 21:18 |  #15

I realize this is an old post but a Point-n-shoot is just that, nothing more, a Rebel XS is a DSLR with capabilities that the G11 can only dream off.

On the other hand, it you need a point-n-shoot the G11 is a great camera.

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

11,006 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is the advantage of the G11 over the Rebel XS?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.