Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Oct 2009 (Tuesday) 00:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official: Canon 1D Mk IV

Steve ­ Beck
Goldmember
2,503 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 06, 2010 13:55 |  #4666

tharmsen wrote in post #10129426 (external link)
What are you talking about? That's straight out of camera. :D

Thanks, glad you like it.

As nice as they look with the post processing. If they are straight out if camera I say sell that pos quick!

Gear List? My gear is bigger than yours? Just shoot have fun...

sponsored links
dolina
Goldmember
4,880 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 07, 2010 11:37 |  #4667

Zethar wrote in post #10133300 (external link)
Here's one of a Tree Swallow -- love the iridescence of these little guys.

QUOTED IMAGE

bw! tree sparrow you got there. :)

Visit my Flickr (external link), Facebook (external link) & 500px (external link) and see my photos. :)

daft_togger
179 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 07, 2010 14:45 |  #4668

Took a few test shots of a mate to test ISO on new 1D MK IV.....all taken with 85mm F1.2 L II at f1.2 - no post processing other than a small bit of unsharp mask.....well I am impressed so far !

ISO100

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

ISO400
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

ISO800
IMAGE NOT FOUND

ISO1600
IMAGE NOT FOUND

ISO3200
IMAGE NOT FOUND

daft_togger
179 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 07, 2010 15:04 |  #4669

Ok, the ones shot in a very dark room with minimal lighting

ISO800

IMAGE NOT FOUND

ISO1600
IMAGE NOT FOUND

ISO3200
IMAGE NOT FOUND

ISO6400
IMAGE NOT FOUND

ISO12800
IMAGE NOT FOUND

JC4
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 07, 2010 15:13 as a reply to  @ daft_togger's post |  #4670

Your last 5 shots are under exposed. And, are they heavy crops, because the noise looks pretty bad?

Here's my ISO-12,800. f/3.2, 1/100, 135mm (edit: I've also attached an unprocessed, 100% crop, shot in mRAW) I was very impressed with the fur detail, on a black cat.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

John Caputo

daft_togger
179 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 07, 2010 15:19 |  #4671

JC4 wrote in post #10140289 (external link)
Your last 5 shots are under exposed. And, are they heavy crops, because the noise looks pretty bad?

Here's my ISO-12,800. f/3.2, 1/100, 135mm

Yes, are heavy cropped somewhat....these were taken in store today and I did not have a lot of time. These are the quick test shots I am using to make my decision on buying a mark 4 or not.....and yup...I'm getting one next week !

Bare in mind the room was very very dark with only a couple of dim spotlight above his head, so camera has done well to draw this much out of it !

JC4
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 07, 2010 15:23 as a reply to  @ daft_togger's post |  #4672

Sorry, but dim light is no excuse to underexpose the image. If you properly exposed the pics, there would have been far less noise. Its a very white scene, with the white wall, and light colored shirt. You should have bumped EC at least +1 to get a properly exposed image. It would have looked a ton better. I'm just saying, your shots are no way to evaluate the camera's ability to handle noise.

John Caputo

daft_togger
179 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 07, 2010 15:27 |  #4673

JC4 wrote in post #10140359 (external link)
Sorry, but dim light is no excuse to underexpose the image. If you properly exposed the pics, there would have been far less noise. Its a very white scene, with the white wall, and light colored shirt. You should have bumped EC at least +1 to get a properly exposed image. It would have looked a ton better. I'm just saying, your shots are no way to evaluate the camera's ability to handle noise.

Thanks for the tip, but this was in the store and I did not have that much time....these shots were only taken to help me decide if I want the Mark 4...which I do.....and when I should have left the store 10 mins before to get back to work in time !!

PixxByTango
166 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 07, 2010 20:49 |  #4674

str8six wrote in post #10131619 (external link)
PIXX, great shots. Any further comparison to your 7D?

Nothing anyone with a 1DmkIV wants to hear.

The 7D is faster at getting the Hypo-Sharp focus shot at anything less than f/5+ and its faster to the point where I take one picture versus a batch of shots in a burst with the 1DmkIV.

What I liked about the 1DmkIV over the 7D is that when I shoot a very slow pan, I can pick a two spot single AF focal point that keeps within its zone and that gives a greater accuracy when doing the super slow pans to get the shot using the OMG its Incredible Burst of 10 FPS. I also liked that my battery in the 1DmkIV lasted much longer than my two 7D batteries in the Canon Grip. Spinning the IS in the EF 300mm 2.8L all day is very taxing and the 1DmkIV does it in stride.

There are pluses and negative to both but each has value. I will say that after shooting with both, neither camera seriously outshines the other with true talent using it and great glass.

Finally... the bridge between Racers and Photographers!
Check us out at:
http://www.raceshotsre​source.com (external link)

Just call me Alice...
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=-FucbvoFFy0 (external link)

RexOne
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 08, 2010 04:24 as a reply to  @ PixxByTango's post |  #4675

Have to admit that I'm finding a fair bit of unexpected noise at 'normal' sort of ISOs. Certainly more than I used to get on my MkIII.
Neither of these images have had any processing applied, left is the RAW, right is a co-shot JPEG.
You can see how much they are zoomed but notice the 'grain' on the back of the spade & in the grass? Any thoughts?
Micght be clearer here... http://grab.by/4h0d (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO

SPDnTRXI
211 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 08, 2010 08:16 |  #4676

PixxByTango wrote in post #10141822 (external link)

The 7D is faster at getting the Hypo-Sharp focus shot at anything less than f/5+ and its faster to the point where I take one picture versus a batch of shots in a burst with the 1DmkIV.

What I liked about the 1DmkIV over the 7D is that when I shoot a very slow pan, I can pick a two spot single AF focal point that keeps within its zone and that gives a greater accuracy when doing the super slow pans to get the shot using the OMG its Incredible Burst of 10 FPS. I also liked that my battery in the 1DmkIV lasted much longer than my two 7D batteries in the Canon Grip. Spinning the IS in the EF 300mm 2.8L all day is very taxing and the 1DmkIV does it in stride.

There are pluses and negative to both but each has value. I will say that after shooting with both, neither camera seriously outshines the other with true talent using it and great glass.

That says alot about the 7D which is good. As a MKIV owner I am not offended in the least.

Early Adopter

SPDnTRXI
211 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 08, 2010 08:20 |  #4677

RexOne wrote in post #10143034 (external link)
Have to admit that I'm finding a fair bit of unexpected noise at 'normal' sort of ISOs. Certainly more than I used to get on my MkIII.
Neither of these images have had any processing applied, left is the RAW, right is a co-shot JPEG.
You can see how much they are zoomed but notice the 'grain' on the back of the spade & in the grass? Any thoughts?
Micght be clearer here... http://grab.by/4h0d (external link)

I find the noise to be very fine..I quick pass of NR and it's gone and all detail is still there. I turn off all NR in cam and do it in post. The jpg will have some automatic NR most likely.

Early Adopter

Zethar
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Jan 2009

May 08, 2010 09:19 |  #4678

dolina wrote in post #10138952 (external link)
bw! tree sparrow you got there. :)

Thanks Paolo.

1DX, 1DIV, 5DIII, A7RII, RX1RII, 14 2.8L II, 35 1.4L, 50 1.2L, 85 1.2L II, 135 2L, 16-35 2.8L II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 300 2.8L, 400 5.6L, IS, 800 5.6L IS

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

May 08, 2010 11:19 |  #4679

PixxByTango wrote in post #10141822 (external link)

Thanks for the information. I'm a 7D owner, curious about the 1D4. Looks good by most accounts.

How do they compare in the mid-high ISO range - say, 800-3200? This is where I find the 7D more critical of exposure than the 5D2. That is, if I underexpose on the 7, I don't have quite as much latitude to pull up shadows as I do on the 5. I'm curious as to how the 1D4 does in this regard.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

Canonman47
261 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2006

May 09, 2010 08:29 |  #4680

chauncey wrote in post #10051725 (external link)
I am a little tired of the children out there being judgmental concerning the value of bodies and quality of the photogs output.
If you were a little more successful in you chosen career, whatever it may be, perhaps you to could own one of those upper level cameras.
Rather than commentating on whether or not others "deserve" that camera, why not concentrate on improving your own career path and improving that bottom line in your accounts.

Maybe...someday...you can afford the toys that others have...when you grow up that is.

Agreed, my profession is not photography. I just wanted to give myself something I really wanted for my 50th birthday. A 1Dmk4 was the thing. Now I am in for some travelling with a good friend.:)

Canonman47:cool:
Save the camera and motive, the photographer is already disabled!

MKIV, G1 X, Macro 100mm, 24-105mm, Canon 8-15mm, 70-300mm, Sigma 150-500mm, next: TS-E 24/II

sponsored links

1,193,045 views & 6 likes for this thread
Official: Canon 1D Mk IV
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.