Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 May 2010 (Sunday) 00:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Error 70 bricked 4 of my 7D's

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,917 posts
Gallery: 1733 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

May 09, 2010 00:38 |  #16

JDIPhotoGuy wrote in post #10147366 (external link)
The warranty resolution is not what I am looking for.
What I need is the possible causes. I plugged in my personal 7D, that I have worked with for months, and the same thing happened.

I guess I really don't need the obvious answers..viruses..malw​are...these PC's are clean. Not attached to the internet. Behind lock and key and run completely autonomous.

Is it possible that there is a "geotagging" function in these cameras, that is causing this due to the northern latitude?

That is probably ridiculous, but I'm running out of ideas!

If it's happening to every 7D you're plugging in, then I think it's safe to say that the problem is not with the camera. Instead, it is either the computer, the OS, or quite possibly, some bum cable. How long is the cable? How is it rigged? Did someone put a staple into the cable itself? A kink/bend/snag? Too long, thus loss of signal? Bad CF card? Broken pin in the CF card? If the card is accessible, check to see if you can read/write to it with a card-reader.

The chances of all 4 7D cameras to crap out with the same err 70 code (and for the camera to be blamed) is near a statistical impossibility. Therefore, it must be the connecting hardware, the CF card(s), or the computer/OS.

That's my worthless $0.02.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
ceriltheblade
Goldmember
2,484 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 09, 2010 00:42 |  #17

on the other side - have you tried the CF cards? Do they work in other apps (now that they were associated with the error 70)
Have you tried switching them out (without connection to the computer)?
What brand are they?

(like you said - "pie in the sky")

7D/5dIII
50 1.8 II, MP-E65, 85 II, 100 IS
8-15 FE, 10-22, 16-35 IS, 24-105, 70-200 f4IS, 100-400 ii, tamron 28-75 2.8
600 ex-rt, 055xproB/488rc2/Sirui k40x, kenko extens tubes

Petri
281 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 09, 2010 01:15 |  #18

jwcdds wrote in post #10147395 (external link)
If it's happening to every 7D you're plugging in, then I think it's safe to say that the problem is not with the camera. Instead, it is either the computer, the OS, or quite possibly, some bum cable.

That's my worthless $0.02.

I'd have to agree. It sounds like the PC connection (computer, software or the cables) somehow messes up the firmware. Very strange indeed. Since you have already removed both batteries and let the cameras sit for an hour (definitely long enough) without power, there's very little extra that can be done to reset them, I'm afraid. Canon service can probably reinstall or reset the firmware with their equipment but that doesn't help much defining the cause of this problem.

I don't think the location has anything to do with this problem. The 7D doesn't have any geotagging components in it. I wonder if it matters, if the cameras' time/date was not correctly set before making the connection. Or the PC's? It shouldn't but who knows...

You could try testing the connection with another computer and cable, if you haven't already done that. Maybe even with a different OS.

At this point your only option is probably to send the cameras in for repairs. :(

tpatana
471 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 09, 2010 01:16 |  #19

I agree with Julian. I'd start from working unit, and start adding stuff until it breaks, then you know what caused the error.

But you need working unit.

So first e.g. Connect know and working pc with short cable, does it work? Then change the cable to the final one, does it work? Then connect cable to final PC when the PC is off, does it work? Next boot up and see if it kills the camera. If not, install the desired software.

At office, that's always the way to go, one step at the time and always record what you, and absolutely never change more than one component at a time, so you'll know what was the cause. Been working with trouble shooting occasionally, and can't stress enough that always one change at a time.

But if all your cameras are now dead, and don't reset by any means, I think all you can do is get working one, and find the cause for the failure. Can't be the cameras by themselves, but some combination with PC, cable, OS and SW.

Good luck, sounds like you need it.

Have: Many cameras with some Ls
Kendo.Photography (external link) / Kendo@Facebook (external link) / TeroPhotography.com (external link) / Tero@Facebook (external link) / CF card Speedtest on my gear (external link)

Lightstream
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 09, 2010 01:33 |  #20

Agreed that it sounds like the computer is frying the cameras.

A surge or excessive power on the USB line (who knows?) may be enough to damage delicate camera electronics. Error messages from the camera may tell you one thing but the damage may have already been done elsewhere.

It seems extremely unlikely that mere software could inflict such damage to every camera, and especially after the cameras have been disconnected from the computer.

You're looking at mainboard replacements for the cameras if my suspicion is correct.. and please don't plug any more cameras into that computer!

nonick
Goldmember
1,588 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 09, 2010 01:37 |  #21

Dude, you proved it to yourself that the problem has something to do with that computer connection as that also killed your own working 7D as well. Not sure what kind of conflict was the real cause. If reset can't fix it and tech support can't give you the answer...Send them all in. Good luck/

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

May 09, 2010 01:50 |  #22

Rather than asking again:

gjl711 wrote in post #10147321 (external link)
DO they throw Err70 when not not attached to your hardware? What do the cameras, but them selves do?

If the cameras are fine on their own then its your PCs that are funky. I'd be leaning towards that as probable cause ...

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

shedberg
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 09, 2010 02:09 |  #23

Isn't there some issue where if you have the USB wire inside your computer plugged into the firewire spot on the mobo it will fry stuff? I wonder if the computer is a home build or someone "repaired" it recently... it's definitely a computer issue in this instance.

My Flickr Page (external link)
6D / 7D / 16-35 II / 35 2.0 IS / 60 macro / 85 1.8 / 135 2 / 100-400 / 430EX II

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,977 posts
Gallery: 193 photos
Joined Jan 2004

May 09, 2010 03:55 |  #24

Another vote for a power-related issue with the P.C.
Either the USB is putting out too many volts, or there's some sort of static discharge that's taking out the camera's.
It's my understanding that there should be no more than about five volts on any of the USB pins - best get someone with electrical experience carefully check out exactly what's coming off the P.C. before going any further. If there's enough voltage to fail a camera, it may be enough to be dangerous....

I remember a few years back measuring 110Volts between the cover of a printer and earth - turned out the cleaners used the printers' power socket every night and eventually the earth connector stopped connecting. Bank staff were complaining about getting "jolts" off it....

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

MattRaizoku
96 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 09, 2010 04:05 |  #25

Avoid using the computer that you've said that frys the cameras, also try connecting the camera to another PC at home would be advisable.

In the worst case the computer has fryed the cameras on contact with the usb, not sure what to do about this.

flickr (external link) | Canon EOS 7D | Canon EF 50mm F1.4 | Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 | Canon 24-105 F4 L |
A hobby that leaves my wallet terribly empty each lense.

nuffi
926 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 09, 2010 05:22 |  #26

Have you tried removing the battery and trying a different CF card? What happens if you don't have a CF card in it when you turn on the camera?

Stephensong
39 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 09, 2010 06:00 as a reply to  @ nuffi's post |  #27

It would help to know:

Type of P.C. ( did you build it?)

OS

Software installed

Brand of cables

Electrical system (is this some sort of carney rig)

I do not think that the cameras are the problem.

Apollo11
Goldmember
1,557 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007

May 09, 2010 06:23 |  #28

Not helpful, but after getting the error 70's on the new cameras, you must have some really big kahunas to even try hooking up your own! I can't believe you did, after rendering the others useless with the error codes.

I believe what others have said----the root of the problem is with the computer, cables, card or something else---nothing to do with the 4 7d's.

Andrew
gear list

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 09, 2010 06:28 |  #29

I agree on the usb power problem, if its some clone computer I bet the usb plug that goes on the motherboard is backwards, my brother fried 2 MP3 players on his PC the exact same way

I dont recall of ever hearing of error 70 before so its not common for sure

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

OregonRebel
865 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 09, 2010 06:32 |  #30

Did you try formatting the cards and seeing if another computer can read them?

Brian N
7D, Rebel XT, G16, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 15-85 USM IS, Sigma 30 f/1.4, EF-S 60 macro, 85 f/1.8, EF 70-200 f/4L IS , Canon 1.4 TC, 430 EX, 270 EX
Bogen/Manfrotto 3001BPro/484RC2
Some pix at www.flickr.com/photos/​briann/ (external link)

sponsored links

33,314 views & 0 likes for this thread
Error 70 bricked 4 of my 7D's
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.