Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 04 May 2010 (Tuesday) 08:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What kind of PC for photo processing?

Moppie
14,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

May 08, 2010 17:54 |  #31

I can batch a 1,000 5D2 RAW files to Tiff or JPEG using CS4 64bit and only use around 6-7GB of my 8GB of RAM.

The bottle neck in the system isn't the RAM, it's the speed of the Hard Drives.

If your doing Video editing, or start using a Medium Format Digital, then having 12GB would be useful, a your files sizes increase.
But, for general photo work, even with a very high res FF 35mm DSLR, 8GB is enough, spend the extra money on more Hard Drives, or an SSD.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

sponsored links
HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 08, 2010 20:52 |  #32

Moppie wrote in post #10145900 (external link)
I can batch a 1,000 5D2 RAW files to Tiff or JPEG using CS4 64bit and only use around 6-7GB of my 8GB of RAM.

memory usage is user-defineable, so you might have it capped at 6-7GB.

+, 6-7GB just for *batch processing* ?

But true SSDs are nice to have.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

Moppie
14,882 posts
Joined Sep 2004

May 08, 2010 21:15 |  #33

HyperYagami wrote in post #10146486 (external link)
memory usage is user-defineable, so you might have it capped at 6-7GB.

+, 6-7GB just for *batch processing* ?

But true SSDs are nice to have.

Thats with it set to use 100%, which it can't because it can't get open and close the files fast enough because of the HDD bottle neck.
Its actually using less, as I generally have LR and Chrome open at the same time, both of which are heavy RAM users.

An SSD would be nice, but then I would run into another bottle neck, the processor wouldn't be fast enough :cool: (currently a Q6600)

flickr (external link)

qwerty11
51 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 10, 2010 00:22 |  #34

So would you guys recommend a PC over than say a i7 Imac?

Moppie
14,882 posts
Joined Sep 2004

May 10, 2010 01:25 |  #35

qwerty11 wrote in post #10152285 (external link)
So would you guys recommend a PC over than say a i7 Imac?

Depends what your doing.

The i7 iMac is a nice computer, and well priced if your in the US.

But, the All in One form factor was never designed to be used as a work station, having a single, non-user upgradeable HDD causes problems if your handling large numbers of photos:
You can't use a separate disk for Photoshop scratch files, which hampers its performance.
You can't separate programs and your photos onto different discs which limits your back up options.
You can't easily upgrade the hard drive with a bigger one when its full. You either have to replace the computer, or spend a lot of money getting it done by someone Apple certified, or have a very high level of electronic knowledge and skill.

They are great if your only handling a small number of files, working on someone kind of networked storage, or your more concerned with how your computer looks than how it functions.

flickr (external link)

scottcolbath
740 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 10, 2010 15:48 as a reply to  @ Moppie's post |  #36

I now have a nice, Shiny new 27" i7 iMac in the back seat of my car. I went to the Apple store in Scottsdale and was blown away by both the performance of the computer, the quality of the screen and.......get ready......wonderful salespeople who knew what they were talking about.

I think I'm going to like this machine.

S.C.

tim
Light Bringer
50,999 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 10, 2010 16:34 |  #37

Moppie wrote in post #10145900 (external link)

The bottle neck in the system isn't the RAM, it's the speed of the Hard Drives.

If your doing Video editing, or start using a Medium Format Digital, then having 12GB would be useful, a your files sizes increase.
But, for general photo work, even with a very high res FF 35mm DSLR, 8GB is enough, spend the extra money on more Hard Drives, or an SSD.

If you batch using Photoshop Image Processor it tends to use as much memory as you give it, for no good reason, except perhaps caching of information that it won't use again anyway. If you use ACR inside Bridge it uses maybe 500MB RAM and gives you the same performance. I never get close to using my 4GB when batching, but my CPU (Q6600) is on 100% and the disks are pretty busy.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Gabe63
618 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 10, 2010 16:44 |  #38

TTk wrote in post #10118403 (external link)
i3, i5, or i7 64 bit
As much Ram as you can try to get 6/8GB
Nvidia Card best you can afford

Some thing along these lines maybe..

Since I am researching this I found that ATI cards are also supported. This is a link to Adobe GPU use
http://kb2.adobe.com …04/kb404898.htm​l#features (external link)

Cards tested

http://kb2.adobe.com/c​ps/831/cpsid_83117.htm​l (external link)

:D 16-35IIL, 50L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 200L F2.

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,178 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

May 10, 2010 18:26 |  #39

best bang for buck video card is ATi > 5770

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 10, 2010 18:35 |  #40

Bobster wrote in post #10156806 (external link)
best bang for buck video card is ATi > 5770

Overkill for photoshop, useless for Premiere. Unless you game (in which case it's a fine card, but still awfully slow for DX11 games), don't waste $200 when a $40 card will do the same.

Gabe63 wrote in post #10156296 (external link)
Since I am researching this I found that ATI cards are also supported. This is a link to Adobe GPU use
http://kb2.adobe.com …04/kb404898.htm​l#features (external link)

Cards tested

http://kb2.adobe.com/c​ps/831/cpsid_83117.htm​l (external link)

Nobody ever questioned that. But that is for photoshop only. For AE and premiere pro, you need a GTX285, Quadro FX 4800, or Quadro CX card to get any benefit at all.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,178 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

May 10, 2010 18:45 |  #41

basroil wrote in post #10156843 (external link)
Overkill for photoshop, useless for Premiere. Unless you game (in which case it's a fine card, b

CS5 uses more GPU power now..

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 10, 2010 19:07 |  #42

Bobster wrote in post #10156898 (external link)
CS5 uses more GPU power now..

Not enough to recommend a 5770 over a 4550.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

Gabe63
618 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 10, 2010 19:18 |  #43

basroil wrote in post #10156843 (external link)
Overkill for photoshop, useless for Premiere. Unless you game (in which case it's a fine card, but still awfully slow for DX11 games), don't waste $200 when a $40 card will do the same.

Nobody ever questioned that. But that is for photoshop only. For AE and premiere pro, you need a GTX285, Quadro FX 4800, or Quadro CX card to get any benefit at all.

Ok, how about for CS5 Expanded (the top of the line one). Will my 5870 EF6 2G card work? The Adobe site seems to say so how about here?

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 10, 2010 20:27 |  #44

Gabe63 wrote in post #10157060 (external link)
Ok, how about for CS5 Expanded (the top of the line one). Will my 5870 EF6 2G card work? The Adobe site seems to say so how about here?

Again, for PHOTOSHOP, it will work just fine, but so will anything else made in the last two-three years.

For AfterEffects and Premiere Pro though, that graphics card will just sit there drawing 50W doing nothing.

Gear List

Gabe63
618 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 10, 2010 20:32 |  #45

basroil wrote in post #10157407 (external link)
Again, for PHOTOSHOP, it will work just fine, but so will anything else made in the last two-three years.

For AfterEffects and Premiere Pro though, that graphics card will just sit there drawing 50W doing nothing.

How about the NVIDIA GTX470? :D

I looked up premire pro and it looks like this is a video editing software that may or may not come with photoshop? IF it does this would interest me.

Same with the aftereffects and photoshop but with motion.

sponsored links

4,278 views & 0 likes for this thread
What kind of PC for photo processing?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.