Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 May 2010 (Sunday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cheapest Canon Camera that I can control via Desktop PC

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

May 10, 2010 05:55 as a reply to  @ post 10152449 |  #16

A few clarifications from someone who has used a XTi tethered to a notebook PC: while the XTi has a composite video output, it shows pictures only after they have been taken. To see an image from a Canon DSLR before the shutter button is pressed, you'd need a newer "Live View" model, starting with the Digital Rebel XSi. The DSLR Remote Pro web site lists the 1D Mark IV, 1D Mark III, EOS-1Ds Mark III, 5D Mark II, 7D, 40D, 50D, Rebel T2i, Rebel T1i and Rebel XS as other Canon models with remote Live View through a data cable tether.

Also, from direct experience: it takes little time to get images from a tethered XTi to a USB 2.0-equipped computer. Using either DSLR Remote Pro or Canon's combination of the EOS Utility and ZoomBrowser EX, it takes no more than two seconds for the camera to send a JPEG image to a computer, and around six seconds to send paired RAW+JPEG files of around 15 MB combined.

DSLR Remote Pro and tethered photography works very well on the XTi, but it's unreliable and tedious with the older Digital Rebel 300D. Pictures need nearly a minute to transfer, and often, images would be lost when the 300D was tethered to a computer. A newer model camera will work better.

sponsored links
TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 10, 2010 09:58 |  #17

quik28 wrote in post #10152449 (external link)
What sort of photography requires a 40 foot mast?

Elevated, I like different perspectives.
Windmill (external link)
Train (external link)
Fountain (external link)

First elevated pano test. (external link) Before I purchased the good software.
In action shooting over the fence at a vintage snowmobile race. (external link) I'm sitting in the nice warm van. ;) Shooting on this angle keeps the background uncluttered as the group enters turn one, then I can pan and catch any wrecks as they exit.

DC Fan is correct, the XSi was the first to have live view, my mistake... for SLR's, is there an option to write directly to the camera and not the computer? My connection is usually over 100'. I usually just take a couple test shots then switch to camera only, more for action photos where multiples need to be taken quickly.

Troy

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 10, 2010 10:22 as a reply to  @ TroyRaymond's post |  #18

If you plan on using zoom, a quality P&S would be much easier because you can control the zoom with the computer too. All of the photos above were taken with a Canon A640 with wide angle adapter in full manual mode. (external link) I'm just creating a gimbal for my long lenses with zoom, but it is much more costly than the above alternative.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you plan on shooting? it would help with advise.

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 10, 2010 11:45 |  #19

where does one find a 40' mast? that looks like a fun experiment

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 10, 2010 12:43 |  #20

c2thew wrote in post #10154433 (external link)
where does one find a 40' mast? that looks like a fun experiment

Not a cheap experiment... Info can be found on several options HERE (external link) and HERE (external link). Do your research... Just to toy around you could use a painters pole and a metalhead (external link). If you ever toy with wireless an easy wireless shutter would be a cheap Phottix or Cactis which would get a 100' or so range, over a half mile with a hobby remote and something like this (external link)...

2008 I walked around a car show with the camera on a pole (external link), about 12 elevation. A ladder could have been used, but I quickly shot every car at the show using a 7" monitor to compose.
Still trying to get my wireless gimbals (external link) in kit form. (Prototypes from the last 2 years shown in link.)
Sorry for OT, any other questions on this please pm me.

My favorite and most powerful method is to remain tethered to the camera, but wireless also has its benefits.

Troy

yuriyo923
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,284 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 10, 2010 13:37 |  #21

TroyRaymond wrote in post #10153998 (external link)
If you plan on using zoom, a quality P&S would be much easier because you can control the zoom with the computer too. All of the photos above were taken with a Canon A640 with wide angle adapter in full manual mode. (external link) I'm just creating a gimbal for my long lenses with zoom, but it is much more costly than the above alternative.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you plan on shooting? it would help with advise.

Using it for photo booth... for now, so customers have to see the image on the screen before taking a shoot....

I love your wireless gimbal, very cool. I might get into it a little more for real estate photodraphy. Thanks for sharing!!!

Canon 5D2 ~ 40D + 17-50mm in da booth!
www.seattleboothrental​.com (external link)

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

May 10, 2010 14:23 |  #22

You need liveview for it to work - the 5D MK II you can fully control from the Computer - definitely compose through the computer.

It will NOT work with an xTi - that one will not allow you to compose from a computer.

So my guess (!!!) is:
450D (xSi)
500D (t1i)
550D (t2i)

7D, 5D MK II, 1Ds MK IV

As all the options.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

Sikor7
417 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 10, 2010 17:40 |  #23

OP,

40 does it and comes with the software. Available for the 7D is a $25 IR remote (and of course can be tethered too.)

I like your "different perspective". Very fresh!

40D w grip
28-300 IS L - 24-105 IS [COLOR=red]L - 100-400 IS L
580 EX - 580 EX II - ST-E2
Nice Canon Back-Pack and some other stuff...
"I think I just stimulated the economy!!!"

yuriyo923
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,284 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 13, 2010 01:40 |  #24

I'm gona try to go with G9 or G10 and see how that works...

Canon 5D2 ~ 40D + 17-50mm in da booth!
www.seattleboothrental​.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,643 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cheapest Canon Camera that I can control via Desktop PC
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.