Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 May 2010 (Sunday) 18:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

does the 18-55 sell well and fast?

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 10, 2010 11:04 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

DreDaze wrote in post #10152486 (external link)
assuming it's the IS version i think you'd have no problems selling it for $80...if you need to you could always throw it on ebay...there's tons of idiots out there that pay more on ebay than it costs to get the lens new from b&h...

i don't really get why people are telling you to try it out...i'm sure they'd all rather have the 15-85mm over the 18-55mm

Yeah...and my Dad is bigger than yours...quite mature argument there.:lol:

I rather have L-glass than paying so much for someonelses opinion. I find my 18-55 quite sharp for my needs.

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
RetroBlader
863 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 10, 2010 15:40 |  #17

xarqi wrote in post #10152977 (external link)
Indeed they do! The former is excellent for photography, and the latter, if hollowed out, makes an passable pencil holder. ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

Perhaps I'll try that someday -- if I can even find mine.

Maybe I got a bad copy, but the non-IS 18-55 I got with my 400D/XTi was really a crappy lens. (I heard the 18-55IS is much better, but with the 17-55 and 15-85 around, I haven't found the need to find out for myself.)

To the OP -- if you plan to upgrade to a better body in the relatively near future (2-3 years?), you might want to keep the 18-55 just so you can sell the camera+lens as a kit. At the entry level, buyers tend to think all cameras should come with a zoom lens and a built-in flash.

:cool:

Above water: 7D | 400D | 10-22 | 17-55IS | 15-85IS | 85/1.8 | 100L IS | 70-200/4L IS | 70-300IS | 100-400L | 580EX II
Underwater: S95 + WP-DC38 + dual dive lights | Olympus OM-D E-M5 (await housing)
Full Gear List
Need/Want: More time for photography (And some talent would be nice.... :lol:)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,181 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 10, 2010 18:20 |  #18

Brain Mechanic wrote in post #10154211 (external link)
Yeah...and my Dad is bigger than yours...quite mature argument there.:lol:

I rather have L-glass than paying so much for someonelses opinion. I find my 18-55 quite sharp for my needs.

i'm lost as to where i was being immature...the o.p. is getting a 15-85mm lens...he knows/thinks that works for him...why are people telling him to keep the 18-55mm lens???

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

canondslr
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 10, 2010 18:40 |  #19

To OP

Would it sell ? Im sure it will
Fast ? maybe not, because it is not a hot item, well if priced to sell... maybe faster.

Theres always people who might need it for whatever reason, here's mine:
Recently I got one for myself because one of my family member kept borrowing my camera (I allow her to use my old Rebel body only), and I have a 17-55 IS (around ($1000) or Tamron 17-50 (around $400) on it.
She didnt really take a good care of my camera when it's on her possesion, so, I thought Im just going to get the kit lens and need not be worry about it anymore, so I got one of those and put it on my camera whenever she's borrowing it.
Recently she just got a new camera for her bday and stop borrowing mine anymore, so I just keep it on my Rebel all the time, and let my wife use it anytime she want when we're going on vacation/trip somewhere...
Looking at the pics from it, it is actually pretty good.

RetroBlader
863 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 10, 2010 18:43 |  #20

RetroBlader wrote in post #10155925 (external link)
Perhaps I'll try that someday -- if I can even find mine.

canondslr wrote in post #10156872 (external link)
Recently I got one for myself because one of my family member kept borrowing my camera (I allow her to use my old Rebel body only)

You bought your Rebel body-only? Or did you lose your kit lens me because you never use it?

:D

Above water: 7D | 400D | 10-22 | 17-55IS | 15-85IS | 85/1.8 | 100L IS | 70-200/4L IS | 70-300IS | 100-400L | 580EX II
Underwater: S95 + WP-DC38 + dual dive lights | Olympus OM-D E-M5 (await housing)
Full Gear List
Need/Want: More time for photography (And some talent would be nice.... :lol:)

canondslr
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 10, 2010 18:47 |  #21

You bought your Rebel body-only? Or did you lose your kit lens me because you never use it?

I bought my Rebel body-only, used, a while back...

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 10, 2010 18:47 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

DreDaze wrote in post #10156777 (external link)
i'm lost as to where i was being immature...the o.p. is getting a 15-85mm lens...he knows/thinks that works for him...why are people telling him to keep the 18-55mm lens???

i don't really get why people are telling you to try it out...i'm sure they'd all rather have the 15-85mm over the 18-55mm

That help??

It reminds me of some that say,"well, all those who dont like the Vette do so because they can not afford it" :rolleyes:

Is it hard to get that some just prefer to keep the 18-55 and just save for something else?? Apparently some do and they start trying to prove how better the other one is. Nevermind just how full of flaws their "tests" are...funny to tell you the truth.:lol:

"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,181 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 10, 2010 18:52 |  #23

Brain Mechanic wrote in post #10156908 (external link)
That help??

It reminds me of some that say,"well, all those who dont like the Vette do so because they can not afford it" :rolleyes:

Is it hard to get that some just prefer to keep the 18-55 and just save for something else?? Apparently some do and they start trying to prove how better the other one is. Nevermind just how full of flaws their "tests" are...funny to tell you the truth.:lol:

eh...i don't think it's immature...but we can agree to disagree...:)

and to your vette analogy...if someone says hey i've got a vette in my garage, but my wife's buying me a accord...how hard is it to sell the accord?...don't you think responding with...hey, keep the accord it's a good car sounds a little silly?

i mean yeah...they'll both get the job done...but he's already got the lens coming in...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Deep ­ Pocket
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 10, 2010 18:53 |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

Put it at about $70-80 shipped and it'll go quick, for the IS version.
On the other hand, I don't know much about the non-IS. I know it's just not very popular.

17 and learning..
Canon Rebel XSI/450D:
Sigma 30 f/1.4, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, 18-55 Kit Lens

Deviantart (external link)

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 10, 2010 20:52 |  #25

70-80 bucks will definitely sell fast. The Rebel XS sells alone (body) for 350 and 500 with the lens.

Thank you. bw!

gkarris
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 10, 2010 21:11 |  #26

forthewinwin wrote in post #10156938 (external link)
Put it at about $70-80 shipped and it'll go quick, for the IS version.
On the other hand, I don't know much about the non-IS. I know it's just not very popular.

I love the 18-55 non-IS lens - I guess mainly because I got the camera/lens kits used for an awesome price (less than what the body alone go for).

Plus, I've learned to use the lens in its sweet spot and have gotten a lot of nice pics with it.

I've gotten awesome pics with the 18-55 non-IS which most people hate, and horrible pics with the Nifty-Fifty which most people love...

It all depends on how you learn to use the lens...

Mihow
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 10, 2010 22:22 |  #27

Brain Mechanic, im pretty sure your arguing a dead argument... you cant even compare the two lenses... and talking smack or your to quote out of context will not help at all

MIKE'S GEAR
CANON 550D
| CANON 15-85 MM | CANON EW-78E HOOD | CANON 430 EX II | OM-EW OMNI BOUNCE | CANON BG-E8 GRIP | SIGMA 30MM 1.4
WISHLIST: CANON 35MM L | CANON 24MM L | TOKINA 11-16MM 2.8 | WILLING TO TAKE DONATIONS

Dan ­ C
783 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 11, 2010 15:16 |  #28

For most new kits I've seen, the kit is $50 more than the body only. You can easily sell the 18-55 IS for more than $50. I'd go for it.

I think there are plenty of people who want to upgrade from a 18-55 non-IS to the IS version. The 18-55 non-IS is quite harder to sell.

5D2 || Σ 50 1.4 || 24-105L || 430EX ||
Gear and Feedback || Smugmug (external link) || I prefer to receive emails instead of PMs; please send me an Email by clicking my username.

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 11, 2010 16:22 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

Mihow wrote in post #10158203 (external link)
Brain Mechanic, im pretty sure your arguing a dead argument... you cant even compare the two lenses... and talking smack or your to quote out of context will not help at all

Its my opinion...dont like it, dont read my posts;):p....lets continue to let pics speak for themselves.

--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 11, 2010 16:35 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

tgara wrote in post #10151052 (external link)
Not sure what body comes with your kit, but you may want to keep the 18-55 and sell it with your body when you decide to upgrade.

Mainly entry level SLR come with the 18-55mm

OP: If you don't want the 18-55mm, search or ask the retailer for a different bundled kit lens, you don't have to always go for the 18-55mm, or the first they want to get rid of

sponsored links

3,890 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.