Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 May 2010 (Wednesday) 08:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Spot!

Cand!ce
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2010

May 12, 2010 08:59 |  #1

Hi. I am new here. This is my first post. I always google things and this forum is always one of my first search results so I figured why not join...

Got a problem...

So, over the weekend, I was playing around with my XTi (which was for sale because my upgrade was on the way) and noticed a spot in the viewfinder. I tried to wipe away the actual viewfinder thinking a piece of dirty flew on it and it was still there. From what I could see on my LCD the spot was not on my images. So, I go inside and change lenses thinking it was on my lens. Same spot in the same place? Hmm? Then I figured it is on my sensor and I will need to have it cleaned. Called around a few places for prices and most said $250 and it will take 4-6 weeks!! I said, forget that, I am trying to sell the darn thing....

The next day, the spot was gone....I sold the camera to a friends father 2 days later..spot still gone...told him about it and he said it was no big deal.

So, I get my 50D in the mail yesterday!! Whoo hoooo... I played around with the settings last night. This morning, I get up to take daughter to her first 1/2 day at day care...which was a big deal because she has been with her grandmother since she was an infant. I take a few snaps in front of the house. And that DARN spot has appeared in my new camera!!! Same spot...Same place. I get home and change out my lenses...and it is still there.

So, it can't be my lenses because the spot appears with both on...
it can't be the body, because it was on my XTi and now 50D...

It is not on my images but it bugs the heck out of me to have that dark spot in between the 2nd and 3rd focal point. I looks like a piece of dirt.

I am going to be pissed if I have to get a brand new camera cleaned....Plus, I don't have $250 to spend on that right now.

What could it be? Can it be fixed? Thanks in advance...

Canon 50D ! Tamron 28-75 mm 2.8 ! 50mm 1.8 ! 430EXII

sponsored links
bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 12, 2010 09:02 |  #2

Can you post a picture or two?

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

Cand!ce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2010

May 12, 2010 09:04 |  #3

A picture of the spot or a picture of my work? Edited to say, I can't post a picture of the spot. It is in my actual viewfinder.

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 12, 2010 09:09 as a reply to  @ Cand!ce's post |  #4

I thought you were talking about a spot in your images, but I guess you just mean it is in the viewfinder.

It would probably be best to just ignore it. It's not the easiest thing in the world to clean if your camera does not have an interchangeable focus screen (and it can be difficult to clean even if it does have an interchangeable screen).

Cand!ce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2010

May 12, 2010 09:11 |  #5

Yes, in the viewfinder. Not on my images. It is there with both of my lenses and both my my camera bodies.

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 12, 2010 09:14 as a reply to  @ Cand!ce's post |  #6

If it is dust in the VF, then it must just be a coincidence that it is in the same place on both bodies.

mrbigisbudgood
101 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 12, 2010 09:16 |  #7

If you remove your lens and look into the body and up, you will see the surface that this spot is likely on. You might be able to use a blower or another method of cleaning to get rid of it.

50D - BG-E2N | XTi |Wigma | 50 f1.4 | 28-135IS | Bugma | 430EXII | Tripods, Bags, Cards, Motivation

Cand!ce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2010

May 12, 2010 09:21 |  #8

bacchanal wrote in post #10166881 (external link)
If it is dust in the VF, then it must just be a coincidence that it is in the same place on both bodies.

What's a VF? I am drawing a blank here.

Cand!ce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2010

May 12, 2010 09:23 |  #9

mrbigisbudgood...thank​s. I am so scared about messing in the body but I might give it a try.

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 12, 2010 09:28 |  #10

Cand!ce wrote in post #10166918 (external link)
What's a VF? I am drawing a blank here.

Viewfinder

Cand!ce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2010

May 12, 2010 09:31 |  #11

duh..lol. Thanks.

KarlK
20 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 12, 2010 09:50 |  #12

Any possibility it could be a 'floater' or some other eye problem? Look through the viewfinder with the other eye and see if you still see it.

Canon: XSi, 18-55IS, 55-250IS, 50mm f/1.8 II, A70 Tamron 90mm Macro
 (external link)

Cand!ce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2010

May 12, 2010 09:59 |  #13

Its there with both eyes. My husband see's it too.

Quizzical_Squirrel
489 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 12, 2010 10:26 |  #14

I wonder if you're transferring mascara or something like that to the viewfinder?

Cand!ce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2010

May 12, 2010 12:12 |  #15

Nope, I dont wear mascara. This is a mystery...lol.

I am thinking when it disappeared from my old camera, it got back on my lens and contaminated my new camera. Lesson learned...clean your lenses before putting them on your new camera. I am going o try a blower and hope that works.
If not, might take it to a local repair shop. Its not on my images....just annoying the heck out of me!!!

sponsored links

1,853 views & 0 likes for this thread
Spot!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.