Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 May 2010 (Wednesday) 10:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 50D a little disappointed

CMLamb
30 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 12, 2010 10:12 |  #1

Not disappointed with my camera, but with myself. I guess I had some misconceptions about taking photos. I had it all built up in my mind that if I bought this nice camera, all my pictures would look great. I'm not looking to be a professional photographer. I just want to be able to take good photos of friends and family. I have a lot to learn about taking pictures. I bought the Blue Crane DVD for my camera, but felt it was lacking on info. Has anyone watched this DVD?

sponsored links
Sean
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 12, 2010 10:14 |  #2

Welcome to the 50D. She is a touchy, picky little prissy of a camera, but once you give it some attention and learn to get the settings right when shooting, she will deliver some spectacular shots.

Canon 50D - 17-55mm F2.8 IS - 300mm F4L IS - 70-200mm F4L IS - 50mm F1.8 - 580EX II & 430EX - Full Gear Listing
Flickr (external link) - C&C Always welcome.

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 12, 2010 10:17 |  #3

I haven't watched the DVD or even owned a 50D but I am sure I and others will be able to help you. Post some pics and you will get good advice.

EDIT: oh and welcome to POTN.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

Mikeroscope
323 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 12, 2010 10:20 |  #4

I love my 50D. Don't get me wrong I take a ton of crap pics with it. It is not a pro camera, but it is far above entry Level. Read the manual. Read this forum, and get a good lens. Not that the 28-135 is crappy, but there are a lot of other cheap better lenses.

Also most pics you see nowadays are post processed, so don't expect them to look great right out of the camera.

50D. 28-135 Kit, Nifty Fifty, 24-105 L
Flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 12, 2010 10:22 |  #5

I havent seen that blue crane video, but I thought the one for canon flashes didnt explain the basics well at all. The feelings you have about your 50D are common for new users. You just dumped a ton of cash and your new camera behaves worse than a point and shoot. Dont worry, that will probably pass. The key to remember is that your new camera is capable of great things but it will require some guidance from you. The difference between a camera of this class and a PS is that this camera is designed to let you fail at the risk of achieving better things. What I mean is the camera in some modes assumes you know what you want and what you are doing and lets you make your own mistakes. Get a copy of understanding exposure, a book by Bryan Peterson and read your camera's manual and then start shooting, posting, and asking questions here. Lots of help will follow.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

May 12, 2010 10:24 |  #6

Sean wrote in post #10167199 (external link)
Welcome to the 50D. She is a touchy, picky little prissy of a camera, but once you give it some attention and learn to get the settings right when shooting, she will deliver some spectacular shots.

This is true Sean.. The 50D takes some careful setting before it's full potential can be achieved.. One area is in the Auto Focus department.. Many lenses need some AF Micro adjustment..

CMLamb,, in what area aren't you happy about the 50D??

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,415 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 12, 2010 10:24 |  #7

Just out of curiosity, what do you find lacking in your pics? Post up a sample or two.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

tharmsen
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 12, 2010 10:24 |  #8

Camera's are camera's... most modern DSLR's are pretty equal when it comes to producing good, clean images. The quality of the image comes from the person pressing the shutter release. Even if you bought a 1D Mark IV, if you don't have any experience your images will look just as bad as if you had taken them with a point and shoot.

Try this book:

http://www.amazon.com …tal-Updated/dp/0817463003 (external link)

It will get you on the right path. It's a GREAT book, one that most photographers just starting out will benefit from reading.

Gear List

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 12, 2010 10:46 |  #9

Spend time taking a picture. Make every picture count. Slow down.

Thank you. bw!

Nmura
730 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 12, 2010 11:27 |  #10

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #10167358 (external link)
Spend time taking a picture. Make every picture count. Slow down.

Agree. Alot of us, me included get so wrapped up reading what is good and bad and less time shooting. Don't get me wrong, information is great, but the only way to get better is to go out and shoot.

Gear

tharmsen
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 12, 2010 11:33 |  #11

Nmura wrote in post #10167581 (external link)
Agree. Alot of us, me included get so wrapped up reading what is good and bad and less time shooting. Don't get me wrong, information is great, but the only way to get better is to go out and shoot.

It's a little more complex than that really. I know people who have been shooting for some time and honestly, they're still pretty bad.

It's a combination of knowledge and experience that creates exceptional photographs. You need to understand the basics before you progress to the more advanced stuff. If you don't understand how or why your aperture works... you're limiting yourself.

Gear List

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,415 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 12, 2010 11:35 |  #12

BTW.. Noticed that this was your first post. Welcome to the forum.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

kajiholic
204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 12, 2010 12:08 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #13

start with this thread, its pretty helpful...
:D I just bought my 50D and im still learning too. It def takes time to learn all the functions of the camera, you cant just expect great pictures to come from the camera, its also mainly the user that has to find the great shots and making sure all the settings are correct
http://http …m/showthread.ph​p?t=414088 (external link)

FLICKR: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kajiholic/ (external link)
| CANON 50D | CANON BG-E2N| EF 17-40mm f/1.4L | EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 40mm f/2.8 |

mrbigisbudgood
101 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 12, 2010 12:22 |  #14

Sean wrote in post #10167199 (external link)

+1

It is no point and shoot for sure. It will reveal weakness in lenses. It will reveal weakness in technique. If you spend time with the camera, it will make you a better photographer.

I struggled with mine for about a month, but once we got to know each other, my keeper rate skyrocketed.

Be patient with the camera and yourself. There really is a reward at the end of the learning curve.

50D - BG-E2N | XTi |Wigma | 50 f1.4 | 28-135IS | Bugma | 430EXII | Tripods, Bags, Cards, Motivation

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 12, 2010 12:42 |  #15

This: http://search.barnesan​dnoble.com …-Sheppard/e/97816005952​64 (external link)

helped me immensely. Read it and highlight the parts that sound important. Pick up your camera and read again the highlighted sections and apply them to the camera.

VERY good hands-on manual for learning and taking good shots with your 50D. It's a really nice camera!

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

sponsored links

6,392 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 50D a little disappointed
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.