Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 May 2010 (Tuesday) 13:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T2i blows my 40D out of the water....

ChrisGorabPhotography
Goldmember
1,572 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 13, 2010 12:49 |  #46

Jethro790 wrote in post #10174307 (external link)
I also agree, the new Rebel is awesome, but I could never go back to that user interface. Image quality/performance be dammed, I can't live without that shoulder LCD and those 4 magic buttons on top.

And the quick control dial on the back. I've eyed up these new Rebels also, but having 2 dials is tough to give up.

-Chris (also formally known as "imtrashed" if searching feedback thread)
GEAR LIST/FEEDBACK

sponsored links
lukeap69
Goldmember
1,206 posts
Joined May 2008

May 13, 2010 12:50 |  #47

^+1

Arnold
Speedlite / Speedlight / Sunpak 120J Beauty Dish Rig (external link)
Gear
my Google+ Profile (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 13, 2010 13:03 |  #48

lukeap69 wrote in post #10174551 (external link)
^+1

- 1 < !
the one wheel on the Rebel models makes it easy to change settings with one hand!.
and it would be a plus to "blow the XXD out of the water" with image quality and ISO performance !

asty80
584 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 13, 2010 14:00 |  #49

imtrashed wrote in post #10174546 (external link)
And the quick control dial on the back. I've eyed up these new Rebels also, but having 2 dials is tough to give up.

How are 2 dials better than 1 ??
What am I missing here?

Canon 5D Mark iii, Canon 40D
24-105mm f/4 L IS, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 100-400L, 100mm macro, 430ex ii, SLIK 700DX tripod
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/shyamyag (external link)
:)

ChrisGorabPhotography
Goldmember
1,572 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 13, 2010 14:10 |  #50

asty80 wrote in post #10174947 (external link)
How are 2 dials better than 1 ??
What am I missing here?

One for aperture and one for shutter speed. Or just using the rear dial for exposure compensation. Once you leave the Rebel line and start working with the front dial and rear quick control dial, it's really tough to turn back. And if you've never tried it, I'm not sure you can appreciate it.

-Chris (also formally known as "imtrashed" if searching feedback thread)
GEAR LIST/FEEDBACK

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 13, 2010 15:28 |  #51

imtrashed wrote in post #10174990 (external link)
One for aperture and one for shutter speed. Or just using the rear dial for exposure compensation. Once you leave the Rebel line and start working with the front dial and rear quick control dial, it's really tough to turn back. And if you've never tried it, I'm not sure you can appreciate it.

I can understand what you're saying but for me it's just as easy with one dial to change aperture and shutter speed.

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 13, 2010 16:27 |  #52

imtrashed wrote in post #10174990 (external link)

I have to agree with that. Shooting manual on the 40D is a lot easier than the T2i.. BUT my 40D sucks on 3200... SO I have to compromise;)

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 13, 2010 16:29 |  #53

enrigonz wrote in post #10175433 (external link)
I can understand what you're saying but for me it's just as easy with one dial to change aperture and shutter speed.

I agree, shooting manual on the Rebel bodies with one wheel is easy-
look ma - one hand!

fortinaa
715 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 15, 2010 23:47 |  #54

First thing I thought of when reading this was the in camera picture style. If both of you are shooting jpg and have different picture styles selected, the cameras are processing the images differently. Each style has a different sharpness/contrast/col​or setting. Other than the noise reduction issue, you should be able to yield similar results with a little post processing if it's just a picture style thing.

But... I wouldn't just go running and switch to his picture style setting either. He might have all the sharpness/contrast/sat​uration jacked up. When you go to shoot normal situations with more color, you'll be likelier to clip the color and blow highlights.

Aaron

Gear List

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

May 16, 2010 00:17 |  #55

The T2i is pretty aggressive with in-camera NR for jpegs. And it's a pretty good NR. But it's kinda deceptive when comparing it to other cameras, especially those that did not have any jpeg in-camera NR. (Such as the XTi). The OOC jpegs look fantastic from the T2i, but at closer inspection it's obvious that subtle detail is wiped out by ths NR at higher ISO's, which is OK because a high ISO image quality is always some sort of compromise between detail and noise. If you want low noise and great detail preservation, get a D3s (or a 5dII) :) But seriously, the jpegs look great from the T2i thanks to a pretty good NR system.

I think the T2i is a great body, I owned a 40D and loved it, but I don't doubt that the T2i is better IQ-wise.

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 16, 2010 01:07 |  #56

gabebalazs wrote in post #10188636 (external link)
The T2i is pretty aggressive with in-camera NR for jpegs. And it's a pretty good NR. But it's kinda deceptive when comparing it to other cameras, especially those that did not have any jpeg in-camera NR. (Such as the XTi). The OOC jpegs look fantastic from the T2i, but at closer inspection it's obvious that subtle detail is wiped out by ths NR at higher ISO's, which is OK because a high ISO image quality is always some sort of compromise between detail and noise. If you want low noise and great detail preservation, get a D3s (or a 5dII) :) But seriously, the jpegs look great from the T2i thanks to a pretty good NR system.

I think the T2i is a great body, I owned a 40D and loved it, but I don't doubt that the T2i is better IQ-wise.

Yep.

The T2i has 18 megapixels to work with when doing noise reduction. You may reduce the amount of detail in the shot by doing noise reduction, but try dropping the shot's resolution to 10 megapixels (3888x2592 -- same as the 40D) afterwards and see how the detail looks then.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

sponsored links

10,023 views & 0 likes for this thread
T2i blows my 40D out of the water....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.